CR-V engine problems

Started by Payman, October 05, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

Morris Minor

Quote from: 2o6 on December 22, 2018, 03:19:18 PM
I still am curious as to why the CR-V seems prone to this issue, but not the Accord or Civic.

This doesn't sound as bad as the R18 block cracking issues of the Mid 00's tho.
My uneducated guess is that the heater for the passenger cabin in the CR-V may be different - sucking more heat to warm a larger volume than the others. But I really don't know - Honda are not forthcoming from what others are saying.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

Quote from: Submariner on December 22, 2018, 02:22:26 PM
City or highway?
That's between fills - mixed journeys - 50% rural @ 50-ish mph - and 50% suburban with traffic lights.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on December 22, 2018, 10:13:30 AM
Turbocharged direct injection engines all have some unforeseen issues like this thing with Honda. Another issue is when the engine is hot, there's a possibility of something called mega-knock caused by pre-ignition in low RPM/high load situations.
The reason for it is fairly technical, related to the space between the cylinder wall and the beginning of the top compression ring.

Let's just say if I was getting a new F150, it would be the 5.0 engine.
Yea, there is a lot of bellyaching with the stickshift turbo Fords and lugging it in high gears. In a small naturally aspirated engine you wouldn't run the engine that way as there's no torque.... but since the turbo DI engines can build big boost down low it becomes a recipe for disaster. I think automatics are programmed to stay out of that danger zone. If I ever get another stickshift car hopefully it will be naturally aspirated and port injected.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 23, 2018, 08:30:59 AM
Yea, there is a lot of bellyaching with the stickshift turbo Fords and lugging it in high gears. In a small naturally aspirated engine you wouldn't run the engine that way as there's no torque.... but since the turbo DI engines can build big boost down low it becomes a recipe for disaster. I think automatics are programmed to stay out of that danger zone. If I ever get another stickshift car hopefully it will be naturally aspirated and port injected.
A small turbo engine without a multi-multi-speed automatic makes no sense.  With a 8, 9, 10 speed auto with appropriate software, it's excellent. 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 23, 2018, 12:33:56 PM
A small turbo engine without a multi-multi-speed automatic makes no sense.  With a 8, 9, 10 speed auto with appropriate software, it's excellent.

I love the wide-ratio 5-speed manual in my Fiesta. The only time that it's not great is in stop-n-go bullshit city traffic. It needs a granny gear for idling along with all the mindless creepers in their automatics.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 23, 2018, 12:58:49 PM
I love the wide-ratio 5-speed manual in my Fiesta. The only time that it's not great is in stop-n-go bullshit city traffic. It needs a granny gear for idling along with all the mindless creepers in their automatics.

Sticks make no sense if your commute is stop'n'go.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 23, 2018, 01:09:07 PM
Sticks make no sense if your commute is stop'n'go.

That's part of the reason the car is in storage right now. Instead, I drive my Dakota with a stick... :facepalm:

AutobahnSHO

I can smell gas from Subaru's exhaust when I back it out of the garage first thing in the morning. Otherwise it's fine.

I've actually been very surprised that ALL the manufacturers don't have more motor issues with brand new powerplants. Remarkable how good the engineering and testing usually is.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 23, 2018, 07:07:57 PM
I can smell gas from Subaru's exhaust when I back it out of the garage first thing in the morning. Otherwise it's fine.

That's normal for a cold start on a cold day...engines run rich when they're cold.

Morris Minor

Honda has started sending out bulletins to owners telling them to make appointments, apparently to get an "emissions issue" fixed that also deals with a cylinder misfire issue: reprogramming the ECM & replacing the climate control box of tricks. 1.1 hours of work.

I suppose the aroma of raw VOCs floating out from the engine bay could be considered an "emissions problem."

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 29, 2018, 04:35:42 AM
Honda has started sending out bulletins to owners telling them to make appointments, apparently to get an "emissions issue" fixed that also deals with a cylinder misfire issue: reprogramming the ECM & replacing the climate control box of tricks. 1.1 hours of work.

I suppose the aroma of raw VOCs floating out from the engine bay could be considered an "emissions problem."
Not long enough to replace the engine.  I guess they're still in denial. :huh:

Morris Minor

I'm going to have to see if there's a class action lawsuit I can join. Sigh.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 19, 2019, 05:46:18 AM

The biggest concern there is that there are so many better things to do with a working time machine.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Oops I'd better fix that  :lol:

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Did you get a used oil analysis?

Morris Minor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 19, 2019, 08:47:45 AM
Did you get a used oil analysis?
Great idea - I just ordered a kit. tks

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 19, 2019, 06:48:43 AM
Did you get that fix done?
Sporty, no. There's a TSB out for an alleged fix, but they're rolling it geographically : starting in Canada & the northern states & going southwards.
So, being in Georgia, despite living in the state's cooler microclimate, I'm low down the totem pole.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 19, 2019, 05:46:18 AM

What weight is the oil...and why is it bright orange?

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 19, 2019, 03:08:38 PM

LOL, that's the Japanese idea of a dipstick. I mean, c'mon. Earth Dreams?  :lol: 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 19, 2019, 03:08:38 PM

Orange because of the gas in it. Will be clear soon enough. Probably -10 weight now
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

GoCougs

So who is finally gonna do turbo motors right, if not Honda?

Jesus, what a travesty.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on January 19, 2019, 08:34:12 PM
So who is finally gonna do turbo motors right, if not Honda?

Jesus, what a travesty.
Obviously not Honda.  There are a ton of small displacement Turbo engines that do just fine.  The common problem is carbon buildup on the intake valve back due to, largely, oil mist from the PCV system that is not washed off by injected fuel.  This has been resolved in a couple of ways, by combining both direct and port injection systems, Ford and Toyota, and by filtering any oil from the PCV system.  Whatever Honda has done is still somewhat of a mystery; except perhaps for Honda.  No excuse for fuel leaking through the cylinder walls; even with 0 weight oil.

MrH

Seems like a weird piston ring tolerance  stack up issue at certain temperatures that only affects the 1.5? My 2.0T has been fine so far. Knock on wood.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 20, 2019, 07:45:41 AM
Obviously not Honda.  There are a ton of small displacement Turbo engines that do just fine.  The common problem is carbon buildup on the intake valve back due to, largely, oil mist from the PCV system that is not washed off by injected fuel.  This has been resolved in a couple of ways, by combining both direct and port injection systems, Ford and Toyota, and by filtering any oil from the PCV system.  Whatever Honda has done is still somewhat of a mystery; except perhaps for Honda.  No excuse for fuel leaking through the cylinder walls; even with 0 weight oil.

Nah, turbos are all disasters. Ecoboost, BMW, they've all been train wrecks of one or more flavors. The value lost has been absolutely immense.

Gas (and gas-contaminated oil, even 0 weight oil) will get by piston rings - it will happen in all engines. The ring/cylinder wall interface is designed for a certain viscosity of fluid.

Toyota is mostly staying away from turbos, esp. in their mainline products - Camry, Corolla, Rav4, Highlander, Tacoma, etc. It's proving to be very smart.

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on January 20, 2019, 09:11:29 AM
Seems like a weird piston ring tolerance  stack up issue at certain temperatures that only affects the 1.5? My 2.0T has been fine so far. Knock on wood.
There, apparently, are 4 versions of the 1.5 Turbo, lower ratings for the Civic, 174 bhp and for the CR-V, it's 190 bhp; presumably higher compression, etc.  There's also a hotter version for the Civic Si that puts out 205 bhp.  The version in the Accord has 192 bhp.

I wonder if they all have the same problem. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2019, 10:01:22 AM
Nah, turbos are all disasters. Ecoboost, BMW, they've all been train wrecks of one or more flavors. The value lost has been absolutely immense.

Gas (and gas-contaminated oil, even 0 weight oil) will get by piston rings - it will happen in all engines. The ring/cylinder wall interface is designed for a certain viscosity of fluid.

Toyota is mostly staying away from turbos, esp. in their mainline products - Camry, Corolla, Rav4, Highlander, Tacoma, etc. It's proving to be very smart.
Since their inception, any defect in engines of various types will always be addressed; with the exception of engines that are complete garbage.  This is true of small displacement DI turbo engines as well.  If you pay attention to what is happening in the industry, you will recognize this.  Problems on DI Turbo engines, such as carbon on the back of intake values have been addressed by the better manufacturers.  For any DI engine, materials used, especially in cylinder walls, is extremely important.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 20, 2019, 10:24:08 AM
Since their inception, any defect in engines of various types will always be addressed; with the exception of engines that are complete garbage.  This is true of small displacement DI turbo engines as well.  If you pay attention to what is happening in the industry, you will recognize this.  Problems on DI Turbo engines, such as carbon on the back of intake values have been addressed by the better manufacturers.  For any DI engine, materials used, especially in cylinder walls, is extremely important.

True, most engine issues/technologies get fixed, but turbos overall have always been a bane for the automotive world. In the off chance its not durability/reliability problems it's under-performing MPG and/or worser ownership experience (lag, higher maintenance/repair costs, temp sensitivity, worse emissions, etc.).

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on January 20, 2019, 01:11:23 PM
True, most engine issues/technologies get fixed, but turbos overall have always been a bane for the automotive world. In the off chance its not durability/reliability problems it's under-performing MPG and/or worser ownership experience (lag, higher maintenance/repair costs, temp sensitivity, worse emissions, etc.).

As someone who has a small displacement DI Turbo, I highly recommend it to anyone who was excellent performance for great fuel efficiency, better if it has a 9 or 10 speed transmission that is properly synched to the engine.  Of course, any engine/transmission combo will give poor gas mileage if you have a lead foot and drive like a maniac.  Myself, having a delicate foot on the accelerator pedal, most of the time, have been able to get up to 6.6 L/100K (35.6 mpg) with a fairly heavy SUV.

The only problem with small displacement DI Turbo engines in bad engineering and crappy software.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 20, 2019, 01:41:17 PM
As someone who has a small displacement DI Turbo, I highly recommend it to anyone who was excellent performance for great fuel efficiency, better if it has a 9 or 10 speed transmission that is properly synched to the engine.  Of course, any engine/transmission combo will give poor gas mileage if you have a lead foot and drive like a maniac.  Myself, having a delicate foot on the accelerator pedal, most of the time, have been able to get up to 6.6 L/100K (35.6 mpg) with a fairly heavy SUV.

The only problem with small displacement DI Turbo engines in bad engineering and crappy software.

But if it's the "only" problem, how is it so many automakers have problems with it?