Safety in custom cars

Started by AutobahnSHO, September 22, 2019, 03:52:02 PM

AutobahnSHO

https://news.yahoo.com/kevin-hart-likely-file-lawsuit-220541042.html

Interesting stuff is towards the end: Kevin Hart handed keys to a 720hp modified 1970 Plymouth, some girl got in the (non existent seat) back, and friend wrecked it on Mulholland drive, famous for dangerous curves. Car didn't have all the safety equipment modern cars have, gov is considering rules to make custom shops put safety stuff in even if it's not OEM.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 22, 2019, 03:52:02 PM

Interesting stuff is towards the end: Kevin Hart handed keys to a 720hp modified 1970 Plymouth, some girl got in the (non existent seat) back, and friend wrecked it on Mulholland drive, famous for dangerous curves. Car didn't have all the safety equipment modern cars have, gov is considering rules to make custom shops put safety stuff in even if it's not OEM.

Fuck that shit. Shit happens. Don't be an idiot.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

If I was the company, I would sue the idiot driver for being and fucking douche fuck idiot.

Payman

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 22, 2019, 03:52:02 PM

Anybody who pays a shop to do that kind of work should be signing a stack of documents stating that they know that what they're paying for does not meet any current safety regulations, has not been crash tested in that configuration, and has not been tested for handling. The person who pays for such cars needs to assume all
liability.

And honestly; these cars are pretty fucking hairy at 4-500 HP. 700+ on any sort of street tires without traction or stability control on a RWD vehicle: well, you'd damn well better know what you're doing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

I'm still not sure I believe this lawsuit. All the sources/websites I've seen writing about it are xlickbait. Yahoo is the most legit one but that's not saying much and they're probably just copy pasting it
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

My truck has no seat belts, one pot master cylinder with drum brakes, no ABS system, a metal dash, a gas tank behind the driver's seat, no clutch safety switch and one speed windshield wipers. And yet, I'm still alive.
It's a miracle! 

veeman

It reminds me of the Paul Walker (Fast and Furious guy) lawsuit. He died when he was in a Porsche Carrera GT and his friend was driving like an asshat on public roads and crashed and burned.  Walker's daughter and father both filed lawsuits against Porsche for making a very high hp car with inadequate safety features like no stability control. Porsche settled with both of them (probably for millions but the amount was not disclosed).

I wouldn't be surprised if the car modifier in this case also settles with Hart and his passengers.  Juries are stupid and California juries may be more stupid than the average jury.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on September 22, 2019, 08:00:24 PM
It reminds me of the Paul Walker (Fast and Furious guy) lawsuit. He died when he was in a Porsche Carrera GT and his friend was driving like an asshat on public roads and crashed and burned.  Walker's daughter and father both filed lawsuits against Porsche for making a very high hp car with inadequate safety features like no stability control. Porsche settled with both of them (probably for millions but the amount was not disclosed).

I wouldn't be surprised if the car modifier in this case also settles with Hart and his passengers.  Juries are stupid and California juries may be more stupid than the average jury.

This little speed shop doesn't have the same sort of pockets Porsche does.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 22, 2019, 06:58:28 PM
I'm still not sure I believe this lawsuit. All the sources/websites I've seen writing about it are xlickbait. Yahoo is the most legit one but that's not saying much and they're probably just copy pasting it

Could be. But when a lawyer says they'll win what do plaintiffs have to lose?..
Will

veeman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 22, 2019, 09:52:27 PM

A shop doing what they do probably has business liability insurance with a max payout of $1 million or something like that.  Just guessing though.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 22, 2019, 09:52:27 PM

And production cars operate under a different set of rules from modified/custom cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

"Lets put all custom shops out of business because Kevin Hart and his friends are idiots" :facepalm:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

It would be naive to think there isn't a contingent in California that would like to outlaw custom cars entirely.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 23, 2019, 05:27:13 AM
"Lets put all custom shops out of business because Kevin Hart and his friends are idiots" :facepalm:
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on September 22, 2019, 10:41:43 PM
A shop doing what they do probably has business liability insurance with a max payout of $1 million or something like that.  Just guessing though.

How liability insurance going to payout when the business delivered exactly what the customer ordered, and which is within the well established norms of the business? If you order a custom toaster without a circuit breaker and then decide to make toast in the bath, your electrocution your own damn fault.

veeman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 23, 2019, 07:50:35 AM
How liability insurance going to payout when the business delivered exactly what the customer ordered, and which is within the well established norms of the business? If you order a custom toaster without a circuit breaker and then decide to make toast in the bath, your electrocution your own damn fault.

Like I said, juries are stupid.  Why did Porsche settle with the Walker family?  He died because his friend drove like an asshat.  But the plaintiffs argued that Porsche new they were making an unsafe car as evidenced by internal emails, blah blah and so forth.  The plaintiffs can argue in this case that the car modifier should have known that modifying a classic car with so much extra horsepower without putting any additional safety features constitutes negligence blah blah and so forth.  Even if the customer wants it that way.  In the end it's all about stupid juries, stupid people, and the mess the U.S. civil justice system is. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on September 23, 2019, 08:37:19 AM
Like I said, juries are stupid.  Why did Porsche settle with the Walker family?  He died because his friend drove like an asshat.  But the plaintiffs argued that Porsche new they were making an unsafe car as evidenced by internal emails, blah blah and so forth.  The plaintiffs can argue in this case that the car modifier should have known that modifying a classic car with so much extra horsepower without putting any additional safety features constitutes negligence blah blah and so forth.  Even if the customer wants it that way.  In the end it's all about stupid juries, stupid people, and the mess the U.S. civil justice system is.

Objection!

RomanChariot

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 23, 2019, 05:37:45 AM
It would be naive to think there isn't a contingent in California that would like to outlaw custom cars entirely.

It would be naive to think there isn't a contingent in the United States that would like to outlaw cars entirely.

MrH

This is a terrible, terrible idea.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: veeman on September 23, 2019, 08:37:19 AM

The settlement, if any, is to avoid the cost, diversion and PR fallout of a lawsuit, esp. for a large well-known corporation like Porsche.

Plenty of small businesses don't carry insurance and have essentially no assets to go after.

In this case, those only remotely connected with the incident - from the government entity in charge of the road, to the suppliers of components, to Hart himself, will pay.

Eye of the Tiger

If the comapny had mounted a Pratt & Whitney 6000 turbofan jet engine on the roof of the car and then said go ahead and drive it, then I could see a potential lawsuit. Maybe. But this 'Cuda was a beautifully built, and thoroughly capable machine. The driver just did not respect it.

Eye of the Tiger

In the future: custom "one-off" car builders will have to build several identical cars for crash testing purposes. :rockon:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 23, 2019, 09:52:20 AM
In the future: custom "one-off" car builders will have to build several identical cars for crash testing purposes. :rockon:

Or like I said, have a phone book sized stack of legal disclaimers that need to be signed before making the order.

Soup DeVille

Toaster have circuit breakers in them now?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 23, 2019, 10:04:33 AM
Toaster have circuit breakers in them now?

Probably not. But anything could happen.... In the year 2000.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 23, 2019, 10:03:32 AM
Or like I said, have a phone book sized stack of legal disclaimers that need to be signed before making the order.

How about I just sign the phone book?

giant_mtb

This is the equivalent of suing McDonald's because you spilled your hot coffee.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 23, 2019, 10:09:42 AM
This is the equivalent of suing McDonald's because you spilled your hot coffee.

That lawsuit isn't nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV