Waze off-limits

Started by AutobahnSHO, December 26, 2017, 05:49:43 PM

AutobahnSHO

Some little town in NJ is going to close streets to through traffic during rush hours, fighting apps which send lots of traffic down streets (to dodge other congestion areas).

Seems to me that's illegal- they're public streets.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/25/new-jersey-town-will-close-streets-to-fight-navigation-apps/
Will

12,000 RPM

What happens to delivery trucks?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 26, 2017, 06:13:36 PM
What happens to delivery trucks?

Or any other local traffic (people who live or work on said streets)?

This isn't exactly new.  Where I lived while in college, there was a neighborhood I frequently cut through since it was a slightly more direct route than the main road and saved me having to stop at a traffic light that was generally red and often a long wait.  There were "No Thru Traffic - Local Traffic Only" signs at the entry to the neighborhood street.  Not sure who put them up (probably residents, which actually isn't legal unless they get it cleared by the municipality).  This was not a private neighborhood with privately funded roads.  Public streets maintained by public dollars.  I had no qualms ignoring the signs.  Never saw any kind of enforcement.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 26, 2017, 05:49:43 PM
Some little town in NJ is going to close streets to through traffic during rush hours, fighting apps which send lots of traffic down streets (to dodge other congestion areas).

Seems to me that's illegal- they're public streets.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/25/new-jersey-town-will-close-streets-to-fight-navigation-apps/

It's not illegal if the town government is making a decision about streets built, maintained and otherwise owned by the town. There are plenty of places where you'll see "no right turn at X hours" or "local traffic only," and parking is also regulated on public streets by whatever government runs them. The only thing that would be a legal issue would be if individual homeowners declared their street off-limits, or if the town sought to close a state highway.

CaminoRacer

I don't see how it'll stand up in court.

Also, AFAIK it's illegal to have things hanging from your mirrior while driving.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 26, 2017, 06:59:18 PM
I don't see how it'll stand up in court.

Also, AFAIK it's illegal to have things hanging from your mirrior while driving.

It varies from state to state.  I don't know about NJ, but in PA, it's legal to have things hang from your mirror unless the thing or things are deemed to be distracting. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.