Formula 1 - 2020 + 2021

Started by FoMoJo, August 29, 2020, 10:33:30 AM

FoMoJo

Nice to see Ferrari doing well again, but I think that Mercedes will soon iron out whatever problems they're having.  It'll eventually be a Louis-Max show again, likely, with Ferrari nipping at their heels.  Verstappen belongs in NASCAR.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

Regarding the missile strike a few km from the Jeddah track:

"BBC Sport has learned that a significant number of drivers had concerns about the safety of the event following the attack. But eventually they were convinced to go ahead and race after being given further information by bosses. Part of this information involved the possible consequences of not racing, such as how easily teams and drivers would be able to leave the country if the race did not happen."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/60880598

Yikes.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on March 26, 2022, 05:23:46 AM
Regarding the missile strike a few km from the Jeddah track:

"BBC Sport has learned that a significant number of drivers had concerns about the safety of the event following the attack. But eventually they were convinced to go ahead and race after being given further information by bosses. Part of this information involved the possible consequences of not racing, such as how easily teams and drivers would be able to leave the country if the race did not happen."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/60880598

Yikes.

Fuck.
And they stopped racing in Detroit because there were some bumps on the track...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Super messed up if Saudi forced them to stay in the country.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Cool to see Checo get the pole

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 26, 2022, 03:37:04 PM
Cool to see Checo get the pole

What is happening with Hamilton's car, though?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on March 27, 2022, 06:13:56 AM
What is happening with Hamilton's car, though?
"Porpoising?

Mercedes will likely fix it soon enough but, although Hamilton is my favourite driver, it's always fun to see him have to struggle a bit.  He is 15th on the grid for today's race and he always drives his best when he has to catch up.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Galaxy

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 27, 2022, 06:51:19 AM
"Porpoising?

Mercedes will likely fix it soon enough but, although Hamilton is my favourite driver, it's always fun to see him have to struggle a bit.  He is 15th on the grid for today's race and he always drives his best when he has to catch up.

Not with the car bouncing around like that. Plus, the 8 slowest cars on the grid in terms of top speed are all Mercedes powered cars. So the Mercedes engine went from best engine on the grid to the worst one.

The one silver lining one the horizon seems to be that they do believe that the cars has fundamentally a lot of raw speed, which they can unlock if they get the porpoising under control. But it seems a new large update will still be a few races away.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on March 27, 2022, 10:16:20 AM
Not with the car bouncing around like that. Plus, the 8 slowest cars on the grid in terms of top speed are all Mercedes powered cars. So the Mercedes engine went from best engine on the grid to the worst one.

The one silver lining one the horizon seems to be that they do believe that the cars has fundamentally a lot of raw speed, which they can unlock if they get the porpoising under control. But it seems a new large update will still be a few races away.
Still it should be fun to see how well Lewis can compensate for having a mediocre car.

Galaxy

One thing we can say, the new regulations are working. The cars were able to follow each other in even fast corners.

Raza

Certainly a fun race to watch this weekend, even if Verstappen won. I was so hoping for another DNF from him.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

CaminoRacer

Good race but tracks with walls right on the side of the track are so dumb. I don't think they should go back

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 28, 2022, 11:09:24 AM
Good race but tracks with walls right on the side of the track are so dumb. I don't think they should go back

There are definitely a lot of reasons not to do business with Saudi Arabia, this included.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

r0tor

Season is OK so far.  I was hoping for more than 2 teams though to have a chance.

It's hard to believe (outside of oil money) that they race at Jeddah.  All those blind turns plus no runoff area is just looking for a fatal accident.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on March 29, 2022, 04:58:06 PM
Season is OK so far.  I was hoping for more than 2 teams though to have a chance.

It's hard to believe (outside of oil money) that they race at Jeddah.  All those blind turns plus no runoff area is just looking for a fatal accident.

Yeah, it looks like an excessively dangerous track. I think I heard about 80% of it is WOT, too, so it's a balls to the wall kind of track. Schumacher's crash in qualifying was no joke.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Galaxy

So much positivity.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq4AU1ou85w

I think McLaren's PR department will have a chat with him.

CaminoRacer

I like this Saturday 11pm (MST) start time

r0tor

Not a bad race.  Some good stuff towards mid field.  Interesting to see if McLaren and Mercedes can get back into contention.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

The Miami GP is adding "water" to their "yacht harbour"

But why? Is not like literally 50% of the Miami waterfront like a yacht harbour  :huh:

Rich

Quote from: Galaxy on May 02, 2022, 11:46:49 PM
The Miami GP is adding "water" to their "yacht harbour"

But why? Is not like literally 50% of the Miami waterfront like a yacht harbour  :huh:

To get the yachts near the track.

The promoters originally wanted the track to run nearer the waterfront, but NIMBYs rejected it, so now the billionaires have to suffer from fake water syndrome. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

Why do F1 races in the USA always need to resort to some level of elementary school tackiness

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on May 03, 2022, 05:59:49 AM
Why do F1 races in the USA always need to resort to some level of elementary school tackiness

Miami and Vegas are cities for fakes so this fits right in

r0tor

I can only imagine what ridiculousness is planned for vegas

CaminoRacer

FoMoJo

He's looking pretty solid.  Mercedes seems to have largely fixed their porpoising problems and can now concentrate on making the car faster.  It will be an interesting season with 3 highly competitive teams. 

r0tor

RUS was way slower throughout the race then Ham though... If it wasn't for the first lap tango I think Ham might have won.  Would be great to see 3 teams with a chance to win

Rich

KIMI will race the glen this year in the Nascar cuppy cars
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on May 23, 2022, 05:33:21 AM
RUS was way slower throughout the race then Ham though... If it wasn't for the first lap tango I think Ham might have won.  Would be great to see 3 teams with a chance to win
Hamilton is exceptional, but he seems to being having a lot of bad luck, or simply his head hasn't been in it yet, this year.  Hopefully, with a competitive car he can give Verstappen (and Leclerc) a run for their money.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 26, 2022, 05:45:16 PM
Hamilton is exceptional, but he seems to being having a lot of bad luck, or simply his head hasn't been in it yet, this year.  Hopefully, with a competitive car he can give Verstappen (and Leclerc) a run for their money.

I think part of it is that the car's driving style is different than he's used to. And also just not a good car until last race's upgrades.

r0tor

I have to wonder if the porpoising was holding Lewis back physically as well.  Drivers are getting beat up in the cars from all the bouncing - a couple drivers including Russell have publicly complained they could be permanently damaging their bodies.

At Lewis's age, with all the championships, and up until last race an uncompetitive car - I could understand him trying to save his body.  Same goes for Seb for that matter.