Shocking! Tesla S performance slower than 2.0 Accord or V6 Camry after 2-3 runs.

Started by 565, February 07, 2020, 03:01:41 PM

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a30799498/2020-porsche-taycan-turbo-s-vs-2020-tesla-model-s-performance/

So yeah yeah electric car comparo, who cares.

But the graph on consecutive results shows an Achilles heel of the Model S, which is that performance take an absolute nose dive after those initial runs as the battery pack discharges.

1/4 mile runs in the 14+ to 15+ second range means V6 Camrys and 2.0 Accords are destroying it at that time.  The Taycan can maintain its performance.

That makes sense why despite the Tesla's incredible passing performance, I almost never see a Tesla or any kind shredding up the highway.  They are almost always moving at a constant pace.  Now I know why.

My buddy recently got a Tesla and he keeps trying to convince me it's the best thing ever, and the Tesla is almost the official car of surgeons these days with how many are in the hospital parking lot, but this has pretty much killed my interest in getting one.

CaminoRacer

I think the Model 3's newer motors (which will be coming to the Model S soon?) fixes that. Since the Taycan just came out it's no surprise that it doesn't have any issues.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

Porsche's thermal management is next level stuff.  None of Tesla's stuff is remotely similar in that aspect.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on February 07, 2020, 04:04:29 PM
Porsche's thermal management is next level stuff.  None of Tesla's stuff is remotely similar in that aspect.

It does also cost twice as much. Tesla & GM still have pretty good thermal management. GM even cut back some of their management because they realized it wasn't necessary.

GoCougs

Porsche's response to the "surprise" EPA rating range of ~200 miles for the Taycan despite equivalent kW-hr ratings and performance to the Model S was that the Taycan is much better with battery life and performance over the duration of a charge (i.e., Tesla gamed the EPA test, or, the EPA gamed the test around Telsa - probably the latter). It should also be noted that real-world testing has been showing the Taycan getting up to ~280 miles of range.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on February 07, 2020, 06:22:38 PM
Porsche's response to the "surprise" EPA rating range of ~200 miles for the Taycan despite equivalent kW-hr ratings and performance to the Model S was that the Taycan is much better with battery life and performance over the duration of a charge (i.e., Tesla gamed the EPA test, or, the EPA gamed the test around Telsa - probably the latter). It should also be noted that real-world testing has been showing the Taycan getting up to ~280 miles of range.

There might be issues with the Taycan's 2 speed gearbox during the EPA test. I've heard mixed opinions on if it actually gets into the economy 2nd gear.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Ludicrous Mode is a bit of a sham. Each time you use it you get a warning that it will decrease battery and drive train life, plus the battery has to be at optimum temperature. When not in Ludicrous Mode, the Model S is just slightly quicker than the Model 3 Performance. But that's not too bad, as that is damned fast (mid 11s).

As to performance degradation differences, the Taycan uses a 800 VDC system vs. the Tesla's 400 VDC. For the same power, the Model S will flow twice the amps, and since heating is a function of the square of current, the Model S has to dissipate 22=4x the heat of the Taycan, and it's not practical for the Model S to have 4x the cooling capacity.

r0tor

Wondering when anyone really does more then 2 back to back quarter mile pulls in real life
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

These must have been immediate, like zero rest in between. There are lots of vids of Teslas spending the day at the strip, with many passes, on a single charge, with only fairly minor degradation in performance. Public day at a strip one is typically waiting 30+ minutes between passes however. Though not realistic, it does show the superiority of design of the Taycan.

Submariner

Quote from: r0tor on February 08, 2020, 06:45:17 AM
Wondering when anyone really does more then 2 back to back quarter mile pulls in real life

Or any quarter mile period.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Imagine after but ~20 seconds of full performance, an S8 or E63 or M5 or whatever cut acceleration by ~40%...

Such a limitation probably hasn't hurt Model S sales but it shows that full Model S performance is more parlor trick than legit capability.

The upcoming Plaid version of the Model S supposedly addresses these shortcomings, but then again with three motors and 125-200 kWHr battery, it's bound to be priced like a Taycan Turbo.

r0tor

I'm not sure there is a road or race track in several time zones of me where one can go flat out in a model S for 20s straight.

If the extra cooling performance e comes at the cost of batgery range, then it's pretty pointless
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

With that kind of acceleration, you're already breakin' the law pretty badly in just six seconds.

GoCougs

Thinking about it more, another factor in the Taycan's superior performance longevity is that with the two speed gearbox, the Taycan is using a motor that has twice the RPM and half the torque as the Model S, to achieve the same power and top speed. Torque is proportional to current, so with a single speed gearbox, the Model S motor has to flow twice the current to make the same power. Thus, half the voltage = twice the current and half the RPM = twice the current = 22 * 22 = 16x more theoretical heat generation in the Model S. Porsche FTW.

Laconian

You're talking yourself into a Taycan. Hope your perf comes up rosy. :lol:

GoCougs

Nah, that's way too much attention, and probably a lot of headaches too.

Char

Model S is a joke, and Tesla fans have always been the lowest common denominators.
I guess one of the guys on dragtimes was a HUGE Tesla guy and waiting until Tesla came out with 2 updates just before it raced the Taycan.

And lost.

Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.