It Took 3 Years To Restore This ’70 Mercury Cougar Boss 302 Eliminator

Started by cawimmer430, April 14, 2020, 10:53:44 AM

cawimmer430

The manual shifter looks like an A/T shifter, I can't imagine it must be pleasant shifting with that, or am I wrong? I have no experience with such a shifter...

It Took 3 Years To Restore This '70 Mercury Cougar Boss 302 Eliminator

What we have here is a relatively rare 1970 Mercury Cougar Boss 302 Eliminator, one of just 323 units produced with this particular engine and transmission combination.

The car was sold new at San Bruno Lincoln-Mercury in California back in its day, and has since been fully restored – a process that is said to have taken 2,000 hours over a three-year period according to its Mecum Auctions listing.

Power comes from a 4.9-liter 290 HP Boss 302 4V Ford engine with 73,000 original miles (117,500 km), mated to a close ratio 4-speed manual gearbox.

Visually, the car boasts a Competition Blue exterior with a dealer-installed chin spoiler, original re-chromed bumpers, tinted glass, original restored wheels with F70-14 Polyglas tires, plus front disc brakes.

Other features include the black Comfortweave interior upholstery, original re-webbed seat belts, restored clock, AM radio and power steering, which definitely comes in handy on these types of cars (unless you're trying to sneak a workout into your commute).

As for what type of Cougar this is, well it's the more popular first-generation model (produced between 1967 and 1970), which was a genuine Pony car – it was literally the Mustang's twin brother. Newer Cougars later morphed into forgettable mid-size offerings and became less appealing.

Now, if you like your Cougars looking a little more raw, then check out this 1967 Restomod rendering. It may not be real, but it goes to show how visually aggressive first-gen models used to be, especially if you strip them down.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/it-took-3-years-to-restore-this-70-mercury-cougar-boss-302-eliminator/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 14, 2020, 11:38:16 AM
Hurst T-Handle. Had one in my first VW. They work OK.

T handles are for automatics.
Balls are for manuals.
THIS IS THE WAY IT IS.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Now if I were to buy a classic muscle car, this is what I would look for.  Pretty much the same as the BOSS 302 Mustang, but with a touch of class.

The 290 bhp was just a number with the BOSS 302 engine.  As measured at the time, it was much closer to 350 bhp.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Speed_Racer

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

I like the first gen Cougars, but not the colour of this one. Too shouty.

GoCougs

Nice - an off-the-beaten-path car of the era, esp. given that the Cougar's MO was as a near-luxury GT (i.e., though quirky, the Boss 302 is misapplied in such a heavy car).

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on April 15, 2020, 05:26:26 AM
Nice - an off-the-beaten-path car of the era, esp. given that the Cougar's MO was as a near-luxury GT (i.e., though quirky, the Boss 302 is misapplied in such a heavy car).
So a 100 or so pounds vs. the BOSS or Z28 is going to make it overweight?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 15, 2020, 06:01:02 AM
So a 100 or so pounds vs. the BOSS or Z28 is going to make it overweight?

Well, I didn't exactly use the term "overweight" but the Cougar was notably bigger/heavier than the Mustang.