Trooper blows stop sign hits another car, arrests driver, then coverup ensues

Started by Klackamas, July 07, 2019, 07:59:25 PM

Soup DeVille

Asshole goes right to "get on your knees, hands up" mode. Not even checking if anyone was hurt, if anyone else is still in the car; not even checking on his own passenger. To serve and protect my ass.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

mzziaz

Not good.

The red car was probably driving way over the speed limit, though.
Cuore Sportivo

FoMoJo

Surprising that there wasn't more damage to the red car.  Hard to tell the speed though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on July 08, 2019, 12:10:44 PM
Not good.

Looks like it, but what happened afterwards is more troubling.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 08, 2019, 01:16:28 PM
Looks like it, but what happened afterwards is more troubling.

Yeah, even if the cop didn't roll through the stop sign and it was somehow the red car's fault, t-boning someone isn't an arrest-able offense and surely not the first thing you do to someone who was just in an accident and could be severely injured. The cop either needs a LOT of re-training or should be fired.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: mzziaz on July 08, 2019, 12:10:44 PM
This will be the excuse they use to make it the Latin guys fault.............   :popcorn:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Klackamas

It's not a training problem. The cop knows what he is doing is wrong with the arrest.

Also, that red car is before the time of a "black box", so the cops are FOS when they say they're going to examine it.  They're simply stalling for time to make up a good story. A few people need to lose their jobs over this.

Finally, I don't think this is a Latin thing. They'll do it to anyone. 
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Klackamas on July 08, 2019, 08:08:47 PM
It's not a training problem. The cop knows what he is doing is wrong with the arrest.

Also, that red car is before the time of a "black box", so the cops are FOS when they say they're going to examine it.  They're simply stalling for time to make up a good story. A few people need to lose their jobs over this.

I just said Latin to Clarify who I was talking about..........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Klackamas on July 08, 2019, 08:08:47 PM

Idk I wouldn't be surprised if his reaction was very different had it been a lawyer in an Lexus or something like that. Not very often you see an upper middle class person arrested like that

GoCougs

The driver of the car was speeding excessively - could even be criminally (i.e., arrestable) so. But it all went down because undercover LEOs blew the stop sign.

The whole undercover police thing is also disturbing.

And you bet the driver was treated this way because of (perceived) class.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on July 09, 2019, 09:37:53 AM
The driver of the car was speeding excessively - could even be criminally (i.e., arrestable) so. But it all went down because undercover LEOs blew the stop sign.

Can you really tell if the driver was speeding excessively?  From the damage, it really doesn't appear so.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on July 09, 2019, 09:37:53 AM

Yep.

I think there's one thing all sides can agree on: mandatory body/vehicle cams.  Doesn't seem that difficult and would get bipartisan support.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on July 09, 2019, 02:22:12 PM
Yep.

I think there's one thing all sides can agree on: mandatory body/vehicle cams.  Doesn't seem that difficult and would get bipartisan support.

Body cams only do so much... they can be covered, turned off, you name it.

Cops need better training and more accountability
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 10, 2019, 06:30:52 AM
Body cams only do so much... they can be covered, turned off, you name it.

Cops need better training and more accountability

But it's a step in the right direction.

GoCougs

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 09, 2019, 10:00:39 AM
Can you really tell if the driver was speeding excessively?  From the damage, it really doesn't appear so.

He twirled the LEO vehicle 360, and that looks like a residential (25 mph) street. My bet is 45-50 mph.

RomanChariot

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 09, 2019, 10:00:39 AM

There isn't as much damage because the car hit the SUV in the back corner causing the back tires to lift and the force of the collision was transferred into vehicle motion rather than body damage. If it had hit in the middle of the vehicle it would have caused much more extensive body damage to both vehicles. The red car was clearly well above the 25mph speed limit and the officer clearly handled the situation poorly.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on July 10, 2019, 09:13:03 AM
He twirled the LEO vehicle 360, and that looks like a residential (25 mph) street. My bet is 45-50 mph.
It would take a pretty strong force to do that, I agree, but the damage to the car was not that extensive.  Given that he may have been going 10+ mph over the speed limit, there was, virtually, no time to brake, as the view of the intersection is blocked by parked cars, the impact might well have been 30+ mph, which is a pretty substantial force.  The cop was in the wrong in both respects.

GoCougs

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 10, 2019, 08:24:03 AM
But it's a step in the right direction.

Much to dismay of some, the notable yet unforeseen benefit of dash/body cams is that they did a lot for convicting perps and protecting LEOs against false accusations.

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on July 10, 2019, 01:04:32 PM
Much to dismay of some, the notable yet unforeseen benefit of dash/body cams is that they did a lot for convicting perps and protecting LEOs against false accusations.

That was definitely not unforeseen (it was a common argument about why cops should support them), and extremely few people will be dismayed by that.

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 10, 2019, 01:46:14 PM
That was definitely not unforeseen (it was a common argument about why cops should support them), and extremely few people will be dismayed by that.

Exactly.  Both sides win, which is what people want.  Real criminals can go to jail, and so can cops who abuse their position of power.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on July 10, 2019, 02:34:13 PM
Exactly.  Both sides win, which is what people want.  Real criminals can go to jail, and so can cops who abuse their position of power.

Yup! Justice needs the truth, not he-said she-said

Soup DeVille

most cops can and do turn off their body cams. Some departments and states are starting to enact consequences formthat.

Galaxy

Quote from: MrH on July 09, 2019, 02:22:12 PM

I agree. The US is actually ahead of most countries in that regard.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 10, 2019, 03:37:53 PM
most cops can and do turn off their body cams. Some departments and states are starting to enact consequences formthat.

There was a case around here maybe a year ago where a cop pulled over another cop (off duty) for DWI.  The on-duty officer, upon recognizing the drunk as a fellow cop, immediately shut his cameras off, likely planning to just give his fellow officer a warning and a ride home so as not to damage his career.  The drunk cop got belligerent and started throwing punches, another cop (county sheriff, IIRC) came by the scene.  No camera footage to show how it all went down.  When all was said and done, one of the arresting officer had some minor injuries, the drunk lost his job, and the one who shut his cameras off, as well as the department, faced some uncomfortable questions from the public and higher ups.  I believe they since mandated cameras on at all times.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 10, 2019, 01:46:14 PM

It was mos def unforeseen because that was not the justification for enacting such policies, which only confirmed that in 99%+ of LE vs. civilian contact situations, LE is right and the civilian is wrong (i.e., the plan to buckdown law enforcement failed which dismayed said policy pushers).

GoCougs

I'm on the fence for a few reasons.

I would likely not agree to my employer making me wear a body cam, to record 100% of my workday interactions, just because, well, fuck that noise.

A body or dash cam is not 100% truth, as they do not provide exact LEO POV, which matters in stressful/threatening/etc., situations (a lot of the times a situation has to be judged on perception of the individual under scrutiny).

It's probably overall a net positive, but way far away from perfect.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: GoCougs on July 11, 2019, 09:28:12 AM
I'm on the fence for a few reasons.

I would likely not agree to my employer making me wear a body cam, to record 100% of my workday interactions, just because, well, fuck that noise.

A body or dash cam is not 100% truth, as they do not provide exact LEO POV, which matters in stressful/threatening/etc., situations (a lot of the times a situation has to be judged on perception of the individual under scrutiny).

It's probably overall a net positive, but way far away from perfect.

Your job doesn't involve potentially shooting citizens.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 11, 2019, 10:05:46 AM
Your job doesn't involve potentially shooting citizens.
He'd be more concerned about them seeing all the time he spent watch Ayn Rand videos. ;)