Suzuki To Stop Jimny Sales In Europe This Year Because Of Stricter CO2 Norms?

Started by cawimmer430, January 23, 2020, 11:05:55 AM

cawimmer430

The EU is an annoying piece of crap dictatorship. The sooner it falls apart, the better. :lockedup:

Suzuki To Stop Jimny Sales In Europe This Year Because Of Stricter CO2 Norms?

We might have bad news for those of you who love the Suzuki Jimny tiny off-roader – and we know there are many of you in Europe.

The Jimny will reportedly be pulled out from EU markets as it doesn't comply with the stricter CO2 norms that will take effect in 2021 in the region. According to a report from Autocar India citing unnamed sources, the Japanese carmaker has already instructed local dealers to stop taking new Jimny orders, with immediate effect.

This means the Suzuki Jimny could be pulled out from all European Union markets as early as this year, since the mandatory emission reduction targets are gradually applied from 2020, according to EU legislation.

From 2021, each carmaker can have a maximum fleet average of 95 grams of CO2 per kilometer. Any companies exceeding this limit will be slapped with huge fines. Suzuki wouldn't normally have a problem with this since it mostly sells small cars in Europe and the majority of its models features 12-volt or 48-volt mild-hybrid systems. The Jimny, however, does not.

Powered by a naturally aspirated K15B 1.5-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine, the pocket-sized off-roader emits 154 g/km CO2 with the five-speed manual transmission or 170 g/km CO2 with the four-speed automatic. It goes without saying that a successful Jimny pushes up Suzuki's average CO2 emissions, which is why Suzuki will retire it from the EU.

It might return, though

While that's unfortunate, it won't be a definitive decision. The same report claims that the Jimny will return to select European markets sometime in 2021 as an N1 commercial vehicle. This category of vehicles is exempted from the strict 95 g/km CO2 rule. Suzuki will turn the Jimny into a workhorse by deleting the rear seats and making other minor interior tweaks. This will allow it to retain the same powertrain.

Later on, it's claimed that the Jimny could return as a passenger vehicle again after receiving an engine update that will lower its CO2 emissions.

Just so you know...

We reached out to multiple Suzuki representatives from different countries for a confirmation, but to date, the only answer we received was from a German spokesperson who simply pointed us to the company's UK department (we had already asked them but have yet to hear back). In any case, if someone from one of Suzuki's main or regional European hubs responds, we'll update this story.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/suzuki-to-stop-jimny-sales-in-europe-this-year-because-of-stricter-co2-norms/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 23, 2020, 11:05:55 AM
The EU is an annoying piece of crap dictatorship. The sooner it falls apart, the better. :lockedup:

Why stop there? Lets tear apart this artificial construction called the Federal Republic of Germany while we are at it. The Schleswig part of Schleswig-Holstein can go back to France. Saarland can go back to France, perhaps Alsace can go back to Germany (actually Hohenzollern-Baden). Franken could be torn from Bavaria, they still fly the Prussian flag in front of many town halls. In fact, Franken could be merged with Berlin and Brandenburg to forma a kinda West-Prussia.

Seriously do you really want to go back to waiting 30 minutes at the border to travel to France, or Austria, just for a Jimny? What would it do to BMW and Mercedes if they had to certify each car in every single EU country? What would it do if a Mercedes sold in Spain, had to got through customs in France to get there? I do not understand why Germans are complaining about the EU. A former President of Poland once said "the German industry is today accomplishing what the German Army could never achieve" Germany is generally much more competitive, and then other Eu countries (although countries like Greece have made astounding progress these last few years) and the EU allows them to compete as domestic companies. Do you know annoying sometimes like phytosanitary regulations regarding shipping crates is in a post-Brexit world? It is like shipping to the US.

Also even with the new regulations you can still buy an X7M, and BMW's average consumption is much higher the Suzuki. What is Suzuki's excuse? Suzuki made a business decision, just like Honda cancelling the S2000. Sounds like quitin' time.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on January 23, 2020, 07:57:54 PM
Why stop there? Lets tear apart this artificial construction called the Federal Republic of Germany while we are at it. The Schleswig part of Schleswig-Holstein can go back to France. Saarland can go back to France, perhaps Alsace can go back to Germany (actually Hohenzollern-Baden). Franken could be torn from Bavaria, they still fly the Prussian flag in front of many town halls. In fact, Franken could be merged with Berlin and Brandenburg to forma a kinda West-Prussia.

Seriously do you really want to go back to waiting 30 minutes at the border to travel to France, or Austria, just for a Jimny? What would it do to BMW and Mercedes if they had to certify each car in every single EU country? What would it do if a Mercedes sold in Spain, had to got through customs in France to get there? I do not understand why Germans are complaining about the EU. A former President of Poland once said "the German industry is today accomplishing what the German Army could never achieve" Germany is generally much more competitive, and then other Eu countries (although countries like Greece have made astounding progress these last few years) and the EU allows them to compete as domestic companies. Do you know annoying sometimes like phytosanitary regulations regarding shipping crates is in a post-Brexit world? It is like shipping to the US.

Also even with the new regulations you can still buy an X7M, and BMW's average consumption is much higher the Suzuki. What is Suzuki's excuse? Suzuki made a business decision, just like Honda cancelling the S2000. Sounds like quitin' time.

The open borders is one of the few positive aspects of the EU. Everything else has taken a turn for the worse.

Right now the EU is an undemocratic, bureaucratic monster which wants to tell us how to live, what light bulbs we can use, how to prepare a f*cking Pizza Napoletana properly (!!!) etc. etc. etc. Annoying. I am so sick of the bullshit that comes out of Brussels which we are forced to accept - and we didn't vote for it.

The EU is not a democracy. It pretends to be one but it even says so in their own website that they are not a democracy. Pathetic piece of shit organization. I used to be pro-EU, but I've woken up and I am sick of their lies and their political bullshit.

By the way, here's the EU hypocrisy in action.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dmw1jzztYs
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on January 27, 2020, 07:23:34 AM
Die Limousine farts... Die  :rage:

:lol:

Sad about the Jimny but I feel like Suzuki is being a bit dramatic. Shouldn't be that hard to get it to pass with some more emissions equipment or a different engine.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

2o6

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 27, 2020, 10:19:46 AM
:lol:

Sad about the Jimny but I feel like Suzuki is being a bit dramatic. Shouldn't be that hard to get it to pass with some more emissions equipment or a different engine.

They probably don't have any bigger engine right now. They don't sell anything bigger than a B-segment hatchback; they've been replacing their engines with basically the same 1.0T "BoosterJet" 3cyl turbo. I wouldn't be surprised if it is only suitable for FWD transverse applications.

I don't even know if Suzuki has a 1.5L or something that would fit in this car and pass emissions.