2020 Audi Q7 Gains Entry-Level Variant With A Four-Cylinder Engine

Started by cawimmer430, February 10, 2020, 03:51:33 PM

cawimmer430

2020 Audi Q7 Gains Entry-Level Variant With A Four-Cylinder Engine

Audi introduced the facelifted Q7 in the United States last year and now they're following up with an entry-level variant.

Set to go on sale shortly, the 2020 Q7 45 TFSI features a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that produces 248 hp (185 kW / 251 PS) and 273 lb-ft (370 Nm) of torque.

The engine is paired to an eight-speed automatic transmission and a quattro all-wheel drive system with active torque distribution. This setup enables the crossover to run from 0-60 mph (0-96 km/h) in 6.9 seconds and hit a top speed of 130 mph (209 km/h).

To put those numbers into perspective, the Q7 55 TFSI has a turbocharged 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine that develops 335 hp (250 kW / 340 PS) and 369 lb-ft (500 Nm) of torque. The extra power enables the model to run from 0-60 mph (0-96 km/h) in 5.7 seconds and tow an extra 3,300 lbs (1,497 kg) when properly equipped.

While the entry-level model is down on performance, it's a lot more affordable. Pricing starts at $54,800 which makes it $6,000 cheaper than the Q7 55 TFSI.

Despite the sizable price difference, there isn't much that separates the two models other than the powertrain. As a result, even the base Q7 has LED lighting units, rain-sensing wipers, a power tailgate and 19-inch alloy wheels.

Inside, there's a 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster, a 10.1-inch infotainment system and an 8.6-inch lower display. Drivers will also find a power tilt / telescopic steering column, a tri-zone automatic climate control system and a panoramic sunroof. Other highlights include leather upholstery, wood trim and power folding third row seats.

Buyers looking for more luxury can order the Q7 45 TFSI Premium Plus which starts at $57,200. It adds a host of amenities including ambient LED interior lighting, a wireless smartphone charger and a 3D surround sound system. The model also has illuminated door sill plates, a surround view camera system and additional driver assistance systems.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2020/02/2020-audi-q7-gains-entry-level-variant-with-a-four-cylinder-engine/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

I can see the appeal of this, especially for a family hauler SUV.  At that price in the year 2020 and being an Audi, surround vision should be standard on the base model. 

How smooth does the weaker engine sound and feel when accelerating and how does the transmission pair with it. A few reviews I've read are positive. 

Most likely still rather get the new Genesis SUV.

cawimmer430

Quote from: veeman on February 11, 2020, 02:00:26 PM
How smooth does the weaker engine sound and feel when accelerating and how does the transmission pair with it. A few reviews I've read are positive.

The modern 4-cylinders I've experienced have impressed me. Even the somewhat "rough" 4-cylinder in my ex-BMW 118i accelerated rather smoothly.

In my current A250, the 4-cylinder feels like an inline-6 in terms of NVH, especially once the lubrication oil and the engine have reached their optimal operating temperature. Acceleration is also smooth.

Without having driven a Q7, I think it would be safe to assume that a modern 4-cylinder engine offers superb NVH qualities while offering the power to luxuriously move this behemoth around. AFAIK there are some full-size pickups in the US making use of 4-cylinders.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

One of the reasons the Hyundai Palisade/Kia Telluride have gotten superlative reviews is how smooth their V6 is compared with some of their competitors turbo V4s with little fuel economy penalty and equivalent cost or actually undercutting the competition.  The turbo V4 in Audi Q7 also has minimal fuel economy gains compared with their V6. 

If it were me and I were choosing between the two I might get the V4 since it's quite a bit cheaper and the acceleration numbers seem fine and what you're saying and what I've read indicate it's likely to be quite smooth with seamless shifts.  You're paying a lot for that Audi badge and exquisite interior.   

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 12, 2020, 06:32:59 PM
The modern 4-cylinders I've experienced have impressed me. Even the somewhat "rough" 4-cylinder in my ex-BMW 118i accelerated rather smoothly.

In my current A250, the 4-cylinder feels like an inline-6 in terms of NVH, especially once the lubrication oil and the engine have reached their optimal operating temperature. Acceleration is also smooth.

Without having driven a Q7, I think it would be safe to assume that a modern 4-cylinder engine offers superb NVH qualities while offering the power to luxuriously move this behemoth around. AFAIK there are some full-size pickups in the US making use of 4-cylinders.
The little turbo 4 in my Discovery Sport purrs away with nary a groan or hiccup.  Hardly noticeable unless you tromp on the gas and it takes a breath and hums its way into a crescendo, not quite music to the ear, but not unpleasant.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

MrH

The Telluride is just murdering everybody though.  It's not a fair fight.  The Ascent was one of the leaders in the segment, and the Telluride is better at just about everything.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Yeah I'm probably going to get the Palisade this summer to replace the Infiniti QX56. Most people I think like the look of the Kia Telluride better but they're basically the same car and it's just a style preference. 

There's something great about the body on frame feel of a big ass truck based SUV though like my current Infiniti. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on February 13, 2020, 10:32:29 AM
Yeah I'm probably going to get the Palisade this summer to replace the Infiniti QX56. Most people I think like the look of the Kia Telluride better but they're basically the same car and it's just a style preference. 

There's something great about the body on frame feel of a big ass truck based SUV though like my current Infiniti. 

Stinger
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

Not as the family hauler.  Great sporty car but no manual transmission.  If I'm not gonna shift my own gears I may as well get a Model 3 or Bolt. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on February 13, 2020, 11:15:37 AM
Not as the family hauler.  Great sporty car but no manual transmission.  If I'm not gonna shift my own gears I may as well get a Model 3 or Bolt.

XJ
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD