The Official C8 Corvette Thread...

Started by Gotta-Qik-C7, April 25, 2018, 07:28:09 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Submariner on January 13, 2019, 11:24:44 AM
Couldn't you make the same argument for power windows and locks?

But you usually can't physically reach them all from the driver seat. And they are not critical parts of the vehicle.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: MX793 on January 13, 2019, 11:40:19 AM
Pretty sure MT Vettes have a hill-hold feature to keep you from rolling back.  My Mustang has it and it does work pretty well from the little bit I've used it (I turned it off within the first couple of weeks of ownership).

That's great. Really.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on January 13, 2019, 11:40:19 AM
Pretty sure MT Vettes have a hill-hold feature to keep you from rolling back.  My Mustang has it and it does work pretty well from the little bit I've used it (I turned it off within the first couple of weeks of ownership).

Even my Fiesta has that. But it has an olde fashioned manual handbrake.

CaminoRacer

Hill hold stuff is for people who haven't learned how to drive an MT. Especially in a high powered car - it's not hard to start up a hill when you have a torquey V8
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 13, 2019, 12:04:14 PM
Hill hold stuff is for people who haven't learned how to drive an MT. Especially in a high powered car - it's not hard to start up a hill when you have a torquey V8

Yeah, I shut it off because between the really short gearing and plentiful torque, I really don't need to give it much throttle to get rolling on a hill.  Maybe something really steep like in SF, but not around here.  Even on my 4-banger cars, I got quick enough with the clutch, brake, throttle that I very rarely used the handbrake to start on a hill.  Basically only if the person behind me was pulled right up on my bumper.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

I like hill hold in Fiesta because it has no torque until the turbo spools up, which requires lots of clutch slipping.

BimmerM3

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 13, 2019, 12:04:14 PM

Yeah after I initially learned, I've almost never had to use my handbrake, even when I had my not-so-torquey I4 Accord. I probably could get away with < 1" of rollback on the overwhelmingly majority of hills. I basically used it for getting out of tight parallel parking spots on particularly steep hills.

They can come in handy if you're driving someone else's car and you're not used to where the friction point is. The exit of my step-moms neighborhood is fairly steep, and there have been a few times when I borrowed her Fiesta ST and someone was slightly closer to me than I'd have liked. I'm sure I'd have been fine without the hill hold, but it was nice to be able to take a normal amount of time getting on the power rather than over revving and slipping the clutch to be safe in an unfamiliar car.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on January 13, 2019, 11:45:42 AM
That's great. Really.
God forbid you try something that changes your opinion  :lol:

No power locks  :hammerhead:

Be open minded. Wont kill you
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 13, 2019, 01:29:56 PM
God forbid you try something that changes your opinion  :lol:

No power locks  :hammerhead:

Be open minded. Wont kill you

Lol, it's not like I've never driven different types mang! I like automatics and convenience shit for a daily driver or touring car, but for a sportscar, my toy, I want a manual and a motherfucking handbrake! Is that so wrong?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 13, 2019, 01:14:03 PM
Yeah after I initially learned, I've almost never had to use my handbrake, even when I had my not-so-torquey I4 Accord. I probably could get away with < 1" of rollback on the overwhelmingly majority of hills. I basically used it for getting out of tight parallel parking spots on particularly steep hills.

They can come in handy if you're driving someone else's car and you're not used to where the friction point is. The exit of my step-moms neighborhood is fairly steep, and there have been a few times when I borrowed her Fiesta ST and someone was slightly closer to me than I'd have liked. I'm sure I'd have been fine without the hill hold, but it was nice to be able to take a normal amount of time getting on the power rather than over revving and slipping the clutch to be safe in an unfamiliar car.

I drove a manual Audi A4 when i lived in Montreal. Lots of steep hills there...I got used to it pretty quickly without ever needing the e-brake.

That being said, most electronic e-brakes work on hill holds too.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Xer0

And neither will be manuals  :cry:

A manual C7 GS with the Z07 package will probably be a future collectible as the last manual trans Vette.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Xer0 on January 15, 2019, 12:02:49 PM

A manual C7 GS with the Z07 package will probably be a future collectible as the last manual trans Vette.
You'll still have your flappy little paddles. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

CaminoRacer

Well they shared the T-56 (along with the Camaro and Viper IIRC) for years so that's not too surprising.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Xer0 on January 15, 2019, 12:02:49 PM

I think the even rarer ZR1 Manuals will be the big money makers! They'll prolly be even more rare than C2 Split windows......
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

... I see something failed to be at a Detroit auto show yet another year...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: r0tor on January 15, 2019, 03:12:00 PM
... I see something failed to be at a Detroit auto show yet another year...
We all knew it wasn't gonna be there. Things have been pushed back due to Electrical issues. I think the Debut is gonna be at the plant in Bowling Green!

r0tor

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on January 15, 2019, 03:42:53 PM
We all knew it wasn't gonna be there. Things have been pushed back due to Electrical issues. I think the Debut is gonna be at the plant in Bowling Green!

In what... 2025?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Fine by me. Long live the front engine

Gotta-Qik-C7

FoMoJo

Payman

Very potentially my new car obsession.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on February 04, 2019, 06:27:47 PM
Very potentially my new car obsession.
I'll def own one. But I'll prolly grab a C7 (Hopefully a Z06) until I can afford a C8.....

CaminoRacer

Payman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 04, 2019, 07:16:03 PM
no more renderings :lockedup:

I know, I know, but you gotta admit, it's a pretty good one.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Gotta-Qik-C7

Gotta-Qik-C7

r0tor

Wasn't it spied being broke down again?