Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S Becomes Fastest 4-Door Coupé On The ‘Ring With 7:25.41 Lap

Started by cawimmer430, October 25, 2018, 12:07:57 PM

cawimmer430

Article and video at the end of my post. Yesterday I saw both the AMG 63 GT and AMG 63 GTS - stunning cars. They look so much better and edgier in person. Some snapshots.

AMG 63 GTS 4Matic+

AMG 63 GT 4Matic+

New CLS53 AMG was also there...

Bonus photo! Gus the Frenchie posing with a W113 280SL "Pagoda"!  :praise:

Mercedes-AMG GT 63 S Becomes Fastest 4-Door Coupé On The 'Ring With 7:25.41 Lap

Claiming Nürburgring Nordschleife lap records has become a priority for carmakers' marketing departments.

Everyone is scrambling to find a niche that hasn't been occupied by rivals and gain the much-coveted title of "the fastest [insert niche name here] on the Nürburgring Nordschleife."

But sometimes marketing people get entangled in their own web of... specific terms.

Take Mercedes-AMG, for example. One thing they don't like is people calling the AMG GT 4-Door Coupé a sedan. Leaving aside the fact that the car is technically a five-door liftback, Mercedes needed to find a category that would allow the AMG GT 63 S 4Matic+ to claim Nürburgring honors.

What did Stuttgart's marketing wizards come up with? Brace yourselves: "the fastest fully-fledged four-seater production car."

Notice that Mercedes avoided using the term "four-door sedan," because of marketing incompatibilities (and probably the quicker Jaguar XE SV Project 8). However, the carmaker also avoided using the term "four-door coupé," which is rather curious.

Just to be on the safe side, Mercedes has proclaimed the AMG GT 63 S 4Matic+ as "the fastest fully-fledged four-seater production car to ever conquer the legendary Nürburgring Nordschleife."

Why "fully-fledged," then? Probably as a snub to Jaguar, whose XE SV Project 8 is a limited-run special with a production of 300 units. In contrast, the Mercedes-AMG GT 4-Door is only limited by market demand.

None of this marketing silliness changes the fact that the AMG GT 63 S is a remarkable machine. After all, it lapped the 'Ring in 7 minutes and 25.41 seconds in the hands of development engineer Demian Schaffert.

That makes it slightly quicker than the Mercedes-AMG SLS Black Series (7:25.67) and almost as quick as the Ferrari Enzo (7:25.21) and Lamborghini Aventador LP 700-4 (7:25). Not as quick as the Jaguar XE SV Project 8 (7:21.23), though. Watch the Merc's full onboard lap below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bgLjcX6NU4
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

Whoa, cool.

Headlights look more BMW than Benz, but it works. The rear is great.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

It looks really good in person.

Love the leasing rates: 1600,- or 1900,- Euros per month!  :thumbsup:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

Car looks amazing and is getting rave reviews.  But man, marketers are the worst with these bullshit random ass niche of the niche of the niche of the niche segmentation. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on October 25, 2018, 12:16:09 PM
Car looks amazing and is getting rave reviews.  But man, marketers are the worst with these bullshit random ass niche of the niche of the niche of the niche segmentation. 

Yeah, it's more akin to a Liftback than a coupe.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on October 25, 2018, 04:07:37 PM
the styling is awesome

Except for that huge flat standing front.

Yes pedestrian impact rules, but the Corvette designers solved that much better.

FoMoJo

Impressive.  With such a raked windshield, I wonder what the view from the cockpit is like.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Galaxy

Quote from: r0tor on October 25, 2018, 06:01:10 PM
I think I'm actually starting to like stubby blunt front end styling

I'm starting to wondering if that is the opinion in auto styling departments as well. There do seem to be ways to get around the flat front.

GoCougs

lol - gopro rattle in 2018 - unwatchable after about 2 minutes...

Interesting though in how they went for a SMG shifting experience. I like it.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

On another note, I've been seeing a lot of these supersedans around with carbon ceramic brakes, which I'm almost certain are not standard equipment. I'm also fairly certain most of these are leased. I'm surprised to see those brakes on these things with such regularity

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Xer0 on October 25, 2018, 12:16:09 PM
I was going to say, this is a Sportscenter stat. They might as well have included the day of the week the lap was achieved on.

The only people taking cars like this to the track are factory test drivers and auto magazines.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 26, 2018, 08:03:49 AM
I was going to say, this is a Sportscenter stat. They might as well have included the day of the week the lap was achieved on.

The only people taking cars like this to the track are factory test drivers and auto magazines.

Oh man, don't give them ideas.  BMW will be releasing the new M8 that will be crowned the fastest 4 door coupe with seating for 5 at the 'Ring that was run on the 4th day of October with tires inflated at 4 psi above factory recommended settings.  No one will ever beat that record.

12,000 RPM

Someone on the purchasing side has to be impressed by this shit. I would love to talk to someone who buys 2 ton sedans based on Ring times.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AltinD

I saw one today. I was waiting at the crosswalk and it came just next to me. Having on my sight only the side of the front up to the b-pillar, I thought it was a BMW and was wondering since when they have Bi-turbo badges. Then I saw the rear and recognized what it was.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD