Next Audi TT Rumored To Transition Into A Four-Door Coupe

Started by cawimmer430, November 11, 2018, 07:11:25 PM

cawimmer430

Is Audi stupid? The next TT should be an SUV or CUV - or a minivan!  :devil:  :tounge:

Next Audi TT Rumored To Transition Into A Four-Door Coupe

Rumors about a four-door Audi TT have been swirling ever since the company unveiled the TT Sportback concept at the 2014 Paris Motor Show. While we still haven't seen the long-rumored production model, Auto Express reports it will arrive within the next two years.

According to the publication, the production version of the TT Sportback concept fell victim to Volkswagen's cost cutting moves in the wake of the Dieselgate scandal. Now that the company has successfully weathered the storm, it appears the car has finally been given the green light.

While the concept was originally envisioned as a four-door version of the TT, the report suggests this is no longer the case. Instead, it appears Audi will now drop the coupe and convertible variants and only offer the TT as a four-door coupe.

This would be a big change, but TT sales have taken a nosedive over the course of the past decade. Carsalesbase data shows the company only sold 2,294 units in the United States last year, while European sales totaled 16,281. Ten years earlier, Audi sold 4,355 TTs in America and 38,335 in Europe.

An unnamed Audi Board Member wasn't coy about the company's reason for dropping the coupe and convertible. As they explained "If you set falling demand against rising costs, it's obvious Audi cannot sustain its present course in the medium term."

While everything should be taken with a grain of salt, the publication says the next-generation TT will likely ride on an updated version of the MQB platform. The model is also expected to be about the same size as the TT Sportback concept, but it will feature new styling that echoes the rest of Audi's lineup.

Engine options remain unconfirmed, but the model will reportedly be offered with an assortment of petrol engines featuring a 48 volt mild-hybrid system. Later down the road, there could be plug-in hybrid variants as well as an electric model.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/audi-tt-rumored-transition-four-door-coupe/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Galaxy

Maybe sales are falling because the TT has become soulless compared to the original? The first TT had baseball glove stitching and everything that looked like metal was metal.

We know that VW AG has the option of creating a mid engined RWD car by making the MQB in reverse. Why not use that for the TT to differentiate from the competition?

r0tor

I read about a possible 4 door TT to compete with the 2er GT

... How thats different from the A3 sedan - no clue  :huh:...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

heelntoe

Quote from: Galaxy on November 11, 2018, 08:11:14 PM
Maybe sales are falling because the TT has become soulless compared to the original? The first TT had baseball glove stitching and everything that looked like metal was metal.

We know that VW AG has the option of creating a mid engined RWD car by making the MQB in reverse. Why not use that for the TT to differentiate from the competition?

A baby R8 would be perfect!
@heelntoe

BimmerM3

Quote from: r0tor on November 11, 2018, 08:17:27 PM
... How thats different from the A3 sedan - no clue  :huh:...

I don't really disagree, but it doesn't seem that much different than A4 vs A5 sportback, 3er vs 4GC, or A-class vs CLA-class.

Submariner

Because they already have the R8.

And people want more convenience, not less.  More convenience isn't an MR2 layout and MR2 storage space.  Few people are in the market for a 50-60k 2+2 with a trunk.  The number of perspective $60k mid engine sports cars with significantly less room is around the same number of successful companies Teuton has worked for.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Galaxy

Quote from: Submariner on November 11, 2018, 09:09:24 PM
Because they already have the R8.

Several price points higher.

And people want more convenience, not less. 

Then why are abominations like the X6 selling so well? Why did Audi bring down the roof line for the last two generations of the A6 Avant? One can easily make the argument that "lifestyle" sells not convenience, otherwise minivans would not be such a difficult sell.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Submariner

Quote from: Galaxy on November 11, 2018, 09:34:00 PM
Several price points higher.

Then why are abominations like the X6 selling so well? Why did Audi bring down the roof line for the last two generations of the A6 Avant? One can easily make the argument that "lifestyle" sells not convenience, otherwise minivans would not be such a difficult sell.

Sure, it's several price points higher.  But there is a reason the market for 50-60k mid engine cars is tiny.  They're completely impractical.  How many exist in this realm?  The 4C?  The Cayman?  And now you have more inter-company competition between mid-engine TT and the Cayman.

The X6 is a lifted sedan, not a shrunk down SUV.  It still gives you enough room to buy a chair at West Elm, while affording you that "sporty" look (I mean those cars look awful but w/e).  I actually, the X6 and friends are hatches so they're a bit more versitile.  A hypothetical mid engine TT now looses a trunk, and a backseat, leaving you with an ashtray to hold your weekend luggage. 

And honestly, as much as I hate to say it, you don't need a mid engine car to return supercar results anymore.  Some space age electronics + a turbo engine is plenty enough to get a front engine econo box around and track as fast as you're ever going to go. 

Xer0

The only reason Audi would do this to the TT is because they didn't think far enough ahead with the A3.  If they had called the A3 the A2 and then left "A3" open for an A2 based coupe thing like they do with the A4->A5 and A6->A7, they wouldn't need to re position the TT.  As it is though, doesn't the TT sell worse and worse every year with each successive iteration making it less and less unique?  Its not like we would be losing an important nameplate anyway as the TT hasn't been an industry defining car since the first gen over a decade ago.

Payman

The TT was a small and sporty personal coupe and roadster with unique looks and character. These just don't sell anymore. Better to let it die than make it into something it's not.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on November 12, 2018, 11:15:39 AM
The TT was a small and sporty personal coupe and roadster with unique looks and character. These just don't sell anymore. Better to let it die than make it into something it's not.
TT hardly has a legacy worth protecting. It's always been a Bauhaus Golf :lol: I'd rather it have 4 doors with some character (and chance for survival) than continue in its current 2 door design paralysis.

Personally I think they should do away with the TT details and just make an A3 Sportback. No not the cheapo fancy Golf; something in the spirit of the A5 and A7 Sportbacks.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

BimmerM3

While the original beat most of its competitors to the market (1998) and was a pretty good car, it lost its relevancy pretty quickly as the S2000 (1999), Z4 (2002), and 350z (2002) were all cheaper, faster, and/or better to drive.

12,000 RPM

Truthfully, it's a wonder it made it this far. Only VWAGs niche fetish has kept it alive.

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 12, 2018, 07:55:19 PM
Truthfully, it's a wonder it made it this far. Only VWAGs niche fetish has kept it alive.

Yeah, it jumped the shark some 15 years ago. I'd love an original roadster with the ballglove stitch interior.

AutobahnSHO

Guy at work has an AWD TT in gunmetal and it is SEXY.  Turns heads all the time.

Saw an A7 tonight and I'm thinking, what would a 4door TT offer different?
Will

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 12, 2018, 08:38:56 PM
Guy at work has an AWD TT in gunmetal and it is SEXY.  Turns heads all the time.

Saw an A7 tonight and I'm thinking, what would a 4door TT offer different?

Size. Price.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: 2o6 on November 12, 2018, 11:49:39 PM

Size. Price.
But they have the A5 Sportback

I imagine the TT 4 door will cost the same, but be more cramped, have a worse AWD system, and possibly just not drive as well.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 11, 2018, 07:27:25 PM
Just buy a Golf :headbang:

I don't want a Golf. I want an AWD two seat convertible with a manual transmission. Your solution doesn't work.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

12,000 RPM

Submariner

Quote from: Raza  on December 11, 2018, 07:29:31 PM
I don't want a Golf. I want an AWD two seat convertible with a manual transmission. Your solution doesn't work.

911 4S.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on December 12, 2018, 07:45:44 AM
Perfect.  Definitely a GT car.

Ahh, a Giant Truck car. I have always not wanted one of those.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 12, 2018, 06:34:09 PM
I was only slightly outside of your initial parameters.

:lol:

But I'll be honest...I need a power top. I'm too lazy for a manual one, unless it's like a Miata's that you can do from the driver's seat.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i