Genesis G70 - MT Car of the Year

Started by veeman, December 03, 2018, 08:49:13 AM

veeman

https://www.motortrend.com/news/genesis-g70-2019-car-of-the-year/

Dang!  Looks great!  Especially in that red.  Undercuts competition in price by thousands.  People want SUVs now though and its hard for a new player to break the German stronghold in this market.  But still.  Long Hyundai warranty.  And it offers a manual on the 4 cylinder and the 6 cylinder is wicked fast.  This is awesome.

Xer0

I like the G70, a lot, but I'm still skeptical.  The new 3 series and C-class are right around the corner, as is a new Lexus IS and Infiniti Q50 (presumably).  The base engine looks to be a bit of dog like I feared, which sucks.  Reading between all the lines, seems to be this car is 3.3T or bust.

GoCougs

Incandescent blinkers = :facepalm:. Sure they can be jury-rigged for LEDs but such a thing portends of cheapness elsewhere, likely not easily detectable.

r0tor

I find it odd they continually use the germans to compare it against when an Italian was already declared much better than them.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SJ_GTI

Quote from: r0tor on December 03, 2018, 11:29:14 AM
I find it odd they continually use the germans to compare it against when an Italian was already declared much better than them.

I can't figure out if they are trolling or what. This quote made me look at them sideways:

QuoteIt's more evolved and more luxurious than the original Infiniti G35 was, has an edge to it that a Mercedes-Benz C-Class lacks, and feels more alert than an Audi A4."

I mean they could have added that its more agile than a Ford F150, has more storage space than a Miata, and has better fuel economy than an Escalade.

I mean...its more evolved than a 15 year old car, has more of an edge than the smoothest of the luxury cars in the class, and feels more alert than the one car in the class that isn't RWD (and is known for completely numb steering). Oh golly, it must be great!

MX793

This is the same publication that has previously handed out CotY awards to the likes of the Chrysler Cirrus, PT Cruiser, 2002 ThunderTurd, and early 2000s Malibu, right?  I rest my case.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on December 03, 2018, 11:39:33 AM
This is the same publication that has previously handed out CotY awards to the likes of the Chrysler Cirrus, PT Cruiser, 2002 ThunderTurd, and early 2000s Malibu, right?  I rest my case.

:lol:

r0tor

I think I'm just chalking it up to there not being too many exciting new cars to choose from
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BimmerM3

Car magazines have always loved to pick cheaper competitors to industry standard models, which bumps their sales for a year or two until everyone realizes that they're really just a inferior product and wonders why they were popular to begin with.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2018, 09:27:44 AM
Incandescent blinkers = :facepalm:. Sure they can be jury-rigged for LEDs but such a thing portends of cheapness elsewhere, likely not easily detectable.

The brand new Escalade has incandescent blinkers. Blew my mind on a vehicle with such crazy fancy headlights. :confused:

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2018, 12:36:12 PM
The brand new Escalade has incandescent blinkers. Blew my mind on a vehicle with such crazy fancy headlights. :confused:

How about it being a $85,000 vehicle on a BOF chassis? There must be some fat profit margins on that beast.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

1983 Renault Alliance.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2018, 12:43:19 PM
How about it being a $85,000 vehicle on a BOF chassis? There must be some fat profit margins on that beast.

For sure. Though to their credit, they aren't just Tahoes with leather, a few bits of chrome, and a different badge anymore. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2018, 12:43:19 PM

I really doubt there's any cost savings anymore to building BOF vehicles. It was true at one time, yes; but I doubt it still is.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2018, 12:36:12 PM

There is some research to indicate the incandescent turn signals are safer, because that's what we're used to seeing, and that the square wave on-off pulse of LED signals actually sometime gets ignored.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 03, 2018, 12:54:55 PM
For sure. Though to their credit, they aren't just Tahoes with leather, a few bits of chrome, and a different badge anymore. 

Really? Still same platform according to Wiki.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 03, 2018, 01:42:50 PM

Yes, same platform, but also much more differentiated than it used to be.

Submariner

The first gen Escalade was literally a Tahoe with a different grill, Cadillac badging, and a Bose surround sound system.

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

GoCougs

COTY is supremely limited by the requirement that it must be "all new." Some COTY winners were 100% legit - '69 Road Runner, '86 Taurus, '03 G35, '16 Camaro, '17 Bolt, but owing to the artificial requirement, most winners are not legit. Thing is, a legit award would likely have the same car winning multiple years, greatly upsetting advertisers.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2018, 01:29:15 PM
There is some research to indicate the incandescent turn signals are safer, because that's what we're used to seeing, and that the square wave on-off pulse of LED signals actually sometime gets ignored.

Original implementations (DTS, B8 S4) suffered for that but new(er) LED turn signals seem to transition more softly, or are otherwise progressive (Mustang, new Audis).

veeman

It is suspect that the test happened at the Hyundai-Kia Motors California Proving Ground.  I suspect they'll be invited for the next few years to keep testing cars here for free.

MrH

Escalade taillights are awful.  They're retina searing.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on December 03, 2018, 02:43:10 PM

They are; and something about how tall and thin they are messes with my focus; I constantly see two thin strips instead of one unless I actually look directly at them.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2018, 03:07:24 PM
They are; and something about how tall and thin they are messes with my focus; I constantly see two thin strips instead of one unless I actually look directly at them.

Never look directly at them. That's how they get you.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on December 03, 2018, 02:43:10 PM

Everything about the Escalade is meant to be punishing to those outside the vehicle.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 03, 2018, 01:59:22 PM
Yes, same platform, but also much more differentiated than it used to be.
Quote from: Submariner on December 03, 2018, 02:16:56 PM
The first gen Escalade was literally a Tahoe with a different grill, Cadillac badging, and a Bose surround sound system.

Meh, is it really that more differentiated than it has been since 2007 (third gen)? Even the 2nd gen (2002) was way more differentiated than the 1st gen. Sure, the center stack and gauge cluster are more different in the current gen, but I feel like that's giving Cadillac a lot of credit for a fairly minor change.

In other words, I guess you're not wrong, but it's not like Cadillac made some revolutionary change for the current generation - they're just keeping up with market trends. But ultimately, it's still a Tahoe with fancy bits - they're just fancier fancy bits.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on December 03, 2018, 03:19:37 PM
Everything about the Escalade is meant to be punishing to those outside the vehicle.

The big weird jeep was still there, lurking peacefully under the trees and almost invisible in the mist and the hanging Spanish moss... It was huge, but it had no colour. It came from the factory with no paint – only a dull stainless steel finish that soon faded to a filthy shade of yellow and millions of tiny reddish pits all over the hood and doors and even the Panzer-style undercarriage.

"Theses holes are not rust," the pompous little factory rep assured me. "What you see here is priceless chemical development that was applied to the vehicle after fifty-five years of careful research at our secret Colour Lab in the Milanese Alps.. So you must be patient" he warned. "This process takes time. It involves the slow liberation of the Astro-Bacteria, which is frequently lethal to laymen. And which did, in fact, end the life of the tragic genius who first invented it, a man named Squane from Austria".

giant_mtb

No shit.  I mean besides that...the body/styling, the interior, virtually everything is different on an Escalade now compared to its chassis siblings.  When they first came out, it was leather, a different grille, and different badges.

giant_mtb

Quote from: BimmerM3 on December 03, 2018, 03:26:16 PM
Meh, is it really that more differentiated than it has been since 2007 (third gen)? Even the 2nd gen (2002) was way more differentiated than the 1st gen. Sure, the center stack and gauge cluster are more different in the current gen, but I feel like that's giving Cadillac a lot of credit for a fairly minor change.

In other words, I guess you're not wrong, but it's not like Cadillac made some revolutionary change for the current generation - they're just keeping up with market trends. But ultimately, it's still a Tahoe with fancy bits - they're just fancier fancy bits.

I think you need to go to a dealership and sit in a Tahoe and then go sit in an Escalade.