Bolt!

Started by CaminoRacer, August 10, 2019, 05:39:57 AM

RomanChariot

Quote from: Laconian on August 14, 2019, 02:01:26 PM
Longer range EVs have much better life b/c you're not frequently dipping into the battery's reserves. Li-ion batteries hate that shit.

My coworker who is an electrical engineer and owns a second generation Volt says that Chevy designed it to only charge the battery to 80% of capacity and to not let the battery dip below 20% of capacity. He says that the majority of Li-ion battery breakdown happens when you get out of that range so the Volt battery should last a very long time.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: veeman on August 14, 2019, 03:02:16 PM
That alone pushes me to get an EV.  I'm assuming all you need to do for the first 100,000 miles is tires?  I don't know though.

You have to replace the battery relay distributor packs every 5000 miles, and realign the plasma manifolds with the antimatter injectors every 50,000 miles.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 14, 2019, 12:41:38 PM
Here's my list of mods/improvements:
- had to buy another pair of sunglasses to keep in the car. I've bought the same pair like 4 times from Amazon and have 1 in each car. :lol:
- sun shade from Walmart
- Weather tech cut to fit floor mats (1/3 the cost of custom fit weather techs)
- another key/remote
- false floor (Standard on Premieres but not on my LT. Costs about $130 for the parts)
- window tint. I'm thinking 40-50%, maybe ceramic?

I already put a stick on the back window. I can take a pic of it later.

heatshield sunshades works really well.  The problem with weathertech, just like the OEM floor mat is that it doesn't cover the whole dead pedal.  I think the false floor, you need to cut into the trims.  It's not a simple add on.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 14, 2019, 03:13:01 PM
My coworker who is an electrical engineer and owns a second generation Volt says that Chevy designed it to only charge the battery to 80% of capacity and to not let the battery dip below 20% of capacity. He says that the majority of Li-ion battery breakdown happens when you get out of that range so the Volt battery should last a very long time.

Yes the Volt has a good amount of protection. I'm not sure the Bolts are as protective.

Here's the maintenance schedule. LOL
https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2017/Chevrolet/BOLT%20EV/Maintenance%20Schedule.pdf
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on August 14, 2019, 03:30:35 PM
heatshield sunshades works really well.  The problem with weathertech, just like the OEM floor mat is that it doesn't cover the whole dead pedal.  I think the false floor, you need to cut into the trims.  It's not a simple add on.

I've never had a floor mat that covers a dead pedal. I'm not that picky TBH.

For the false floor there are already bolt holes there, you just have to get the plastic covers off AFAIK. Which may involve a razor blade.

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 14, 2019, 03:32:37 PM
I've never had a floor mat that covers a dead pedal. I'm not that picky TBH.

For the false floor there are already bolt holes there, you just have to get the plastic covers off AFAIK. Which may involve a razor blade.

The dead pedal for the Bolt is just carpeted though.

There's bolt hole for your car?  I think you have to cut it out if I remember correctly. 

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on August 14, 2019, 03:02:16 PM
That alone pushes me to get an EV.  I'm assuming all you need to do for the first 100,000 miles is tires?  I don't know though. 

Essentially yes. EVs have no fluids and are very gentle on the brake pads.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 14, 2019, 03:13:01 PM

It's good to hear that some mfrs are being responsible with batteries. Tesla's Supercharging makes me a little nervous, it seems like heavily S/C'd batteries will go through a lot more wear and tear over their lifetimes compared to ones that are babied with a L2 home charger.

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 14, 2019, 03:13:28 PM
You have to replace the battery relay distributor packs every 5000 miles, and realign the plasma manifolds with the antimatter injectors every 50,000 miles.

Torres is such a grouchy mechanic :rage:

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 14, 2019, 03:31:12 PM
Here's the maintenance schedule. LOL

Why do we still drive ICEs again? I want an electric Miata already.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on August 14, 2019, 04:08:46 PM

Honestly, IDK. For any mainstreamer, electric motors are just better. It's not as cool as my El Camino since you don't get the awesome sounds, but a Civic isn't gonna sound like that either. And the EV has torque for days and way fewer moving parts and maintenance items and no hump in the floor, etc etc etc

Eye of the Tiger

I'll take one, too. But I want a 4-speed manual.

AutobahnSHO

Cuz I don't have anywhere to charge. Plus they're $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 14, 2019, 04:26:09 PM
Cuz I don't have anywhere to charge. Plus they're $$$$$$$$$$$$.

I think the prices will drop pretty fast over the next 10 years. Not as much engineering is needed for the drivetrain or platform and it can all be shared with the rest of an automaker's lineup. Economies of scale should be better

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on August 14, 2019, 03:51:04 PM
The dead pedal for the Bolt is just carpeted though.

There's bolt hole for your car?  I think you have to cut it out if I remember correctly. 

I mostly want floor mats to protect the carpet from getting worn out. Like where your heel sits constantly. So the dead pedal is kinda meh

NomisR

Once they figure out the termite fart thing, cars would be going hydrogen as storage instead.

CaminoRacer

I can't get Android auto to work. For one thing, having to plug into USB for Android auto and car play is stupid. And my phone won't switch to Midi from charge-only for the USB settings. I guess it's probably my cables but I tried 6 of them and none worked. I don't know how to pick a cable that will actually work

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 14, 2019, 07:53:43 PM
I can't get Android auto to work. For one thing, having to plug into USB for Android auto and car play is stupid. And my phone won't switch to Midi from charge-only for the USB settings. I guess it's probably my cables but I tried 6 of them and none worked. I don't know how to pick a cable that will actually work
You don't need all that crap. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on August 14, 2019, 05:34:45 PM
Once they figure out the termite fart thing, cars would be going hydrogen as storage instead.
?

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 14, 2019, 04:25:59 PM
I'll take one, too. But I want a 4-speed manual.

What if it just had force feedback and simulated a gearbox by limiting motor voltage?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on August 14, 2019, 08:37:31 PM
What if it just had force feedback and simulated a gearbox by limiting motor voltage?

:rage:

CaminoRacer

My wife's phone connected to Android auto. I looked in my app and the car was in the "rejected" vehicle category. What does that mean? I went ahead and deleted it from the category

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 14, 2019, 09:51:15 PM
My wife's phone connected to Android auto. I looked in my app and the car was in the "rejected" vehicle category. What does that mean? I went ahead and deleted it from the category
!? Maybe you misclicked.

I got Android Auto working on my Mazder via mad hax0r skills, but I never use it. I prefer pathfinding with my brain as much as possible, keeps me sharp.

mzziaz

Android Auto works fine in our car, but it is picky on cables.
Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 14, 2019, 03:13:28 PM

But that would affect the linear subspace converters with plasma fluid polarity. The only way around this is to magnetize the multi-isolinear terminals with the auxiliary sub-routines via a portable adjuster.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 15, 2019, 06:09:46 AM
False floor?

It's a second floor for the cargo area that lifts up. So you can store stuff underneath and put groceries on top.

Raza

Ew.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 14, 2019, 04:24:25 PM
Honestly, IDK. For any mainstreamer, electric motors are just better.

Ew.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 15, 2019, 08:09:33 AM
It's a second floor for the cargo area that lifts up. So you can store stuff underneath and put groceries on top.

I like that.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i