Bolt!

Started by CaminoRacer, August 10, 2019, 05:39:57 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Wanna race? I'll drive the Road.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 12, 2019, 01:10:54 PM
Wait, so that makes a total of three Bolts on CarSPIN?

Is the Bolt the most commonly owned car model on CarSPIN...?  :hmm:

I thought it's the Miata? 

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on August 11, 2019, 09:14:32 AM
Woah, cool! I really like the bolt. Need details on the deal too. How used and how much?

77k miles, $18.5k

Mileage is a bit high but the battery doesn't seem to have degraded at all. The car is in fantastic shape.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

BWTO*

*Pending charging network buildout
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

veeman

Whenever I see a Bolt, I think of the 12,000 RPM quote "battleclad dodge ball".  I find that description so funny :lol:

I like it (your Bolt).  I should consider a used/certified Bolt.  I'd love one as another car but insurance plus Connecticut vehicle tax makes owning another car not a good option. I'd have to get rid of my Crosstrek which I still have about 15 months left till I own it from the bank.   

12,000 RPM

Quote from: veeman on August 13, 2019, 01:16:58 PM
Whenever I see a Bolt, I think of the 12,000 RPM quote "battleclad dodge ball".  I find that description so funny :lol:
WTF, when did I say that :wtf: That was funny :lol:

I am still hoping for some more stylish EVs
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

I think the front end is sexy but the rear is a bit meh

CaminoRacer

Here's a fun thing to do: go to autozone.com and "add a vehicle". 2017 Chevy Bolt. Look at the "engine options" it gives you.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 13, 2019, 08:21:28 PM
Here's a fun thing to do: go to autozone.com and "add a vehicle". 2017 Chevy Bolt. Look at the "engine options" it gives you.

15, eh?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Nice! I like the color.
Will

CaminoRacer

veeman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 13, 2019, 07:22:02 PM
WTF, when did I say that :wtf: That was funny :lol:

I am still hoping for some more stylish EVs

General Automotive / Re: EVs
« by 12,000 RPM on November 08, 2018, 05:24:09 am »
......  from the Kona and Bolt if you like battle clad dodgeballs). And hybrids are getting to where the  ......

also this one:

Using Tesla as an example of any auto business norm is fallacious. I agree with Soup... people will pay good money for EVs if they are convinced. The problem, as I hate to admit, is as r0tor said- most mainstream EV offerings look like dodgeballs you want to kick into the outfield. An EV from a mainstream manufacturer with the presence of a Model S (and none of Tesla's BS) would do very well. Especially at a decent price point.

I like how it looks, in a battle clad dodgeball way  :lol:

cawimmer430

Looks sharp!  :ohyeah:

Also, rare Fiat 500e charging next to it!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

Yeah I like how the Bolt looks, though obviously I like hatches in general.

If the Bolt was AWD it would probably be closest to my ideal electric car (currently on the market).

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 14, 2019, 03:13:13 AM
Looks sharp!  :ohyeah:

Also, rare Fiat 500e charging next to it!

There used to be around 10 Fiat 500e in our parking lot.  Most of those I believe have transitioned to a Bolt after their lease expired though.

Laconian

500e drivers are seldom happy about their cars. Huge zpOSes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on August 14, 2019, 10:12:34 AM
There used to be around 10 Fiat 500e in our parking lot.  Most of those I believe have transitioned to a Bolt after their lease expired though.

I can imagine. Supposedly they had very bad range. Fine for the city, terrible for a short hop out of the city.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

Yeah, the Bolt and Teslas are the ones that are actually usable as normal cars. Most other EVs are only OK and you need to charge every day.

CaminoRacer

I was originally looking at 2nd Gen Volts but the back seat headroom was pretty tight and I think the Bolts will be far more reliable due to their simplicity, while Volts are the opposite of simple. Since I'm keeping the Mazda 6, we do have another car to take longer trips in. And we can always rent a car for a roadtrip if we want.

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 14, 2019, 12:11:45 PM
I was originally looking at 2nd Gen Volts but the back seat headroom was pretty tight and I think the Bolts will be far more reliable due to their simplicity, while Volts are the opposite of simple. Since I'm keeping the Mazda 6, we do have another car to take longer trips in. And we can always rent a car for a roadtrip if we want.

Volts are a good compromise if you have no means to charge.  Bolt in reality is a hot hatch though.  It handles really nicely for what it is too.

CaminoRacer

Here's my list of mods/improvements:
- had to buy another pair of sunglasses to keep in the car. I've bought the same pair like 4 times from Amazon and have 1 in each car. :lol:
- sun shade from Walmart
- Weather tech cut to fit floor mats (1/3 the cost of custom fit weather techs)
- another key/remote
- false floor (Standard on Premieres but not on my LT. Costs about $130 for the parts)
- window tint. I'm thinking 40-50%, maybe ceramic?

I already put a stick on the back window. I can take a pic of it later.

mzziaz

Same color as ours. We've done 70k kms on it. No problems what so ever
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

I don't think high milage will be problematic. EV batteries so far has held up really well, and drivetrains are really simple.

Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

Quote from: mzziaz on August 14, 2019, 01:30:53 PM
I don't think high milage will be problematic. EV batteries so far has held up really well, and drivetrains are really simple.

Yeah, the batteries are the only thing I'm even remotely worried about, and at 75k miles it's showing no signs of degradation. (btw I lied, it had 74,680 miles on it when I drove off the lot, not 77k)

I don't even touch the brakes since I drive in L. Maybe once a week I should drive in D to clean the brakes off.

Laconian

Longer range EVs have much better life b/c you're not frequently dipping into the battery's reserves. Li-ion batteries hate that shit.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

What kind of service/maintenance is needed and at what intervals?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 14, 2019, 02:02:48 PM
What kind of service/maintenance is needed and at what intervals?

That alone pushes me to get an EV.  I'm assuming all you need to do for the first 100,000 miles is tires?  I don't know though.