The Miata

Started by Rich, November 21, 2013, 01:16:55 PM

Secret Chimp

What's the sound you're hearing at speed? I have both a lot of gear whine and this odd rushing/gnashing noise that only happens under power - after a long time across 2 diffs I realized the latter is just an odd in-system exhaust sound of some kind.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Secret Chimp on January 17, 2014, 10:44:43 AM
What's the sound you're hearing at speed? I have both a lot of gear whine and this odd rushing/gnashing noise that only happens under power - after a long time across 2 diffs I realized the latter is just an odd in-system exhaust sound of some kind.

Since he drives a miata, I imagine what he's hearing is the muffled laughter of other motorists as he drives by.

Rich

Lol, think of what you'd hear if you ran over a rumble strip at a race track at the exit of a corner.  It's mostly in the sound, and it sounds like the diff bouncing/moving/gyrating against something in the back, maybe just moving in it's mounts?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

FlatBlackCaddy

Possibly sub frame mounts too?

MrH

Broken rear diff mount maybe?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 17, 2014, 10:49:30 AM
Since he drives a miata, I imagine what he's hearing is the muffled laughter of other motorists as he drives by.

Hey, when the whole country thinks the world is flat, it's still round.  :huh:
Will

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 26, 2014, 07:07:47 PM
Hey, when the whole country thinks the world is flat, it's still round.  :huh:

Only if you ignore the bumpy parts.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Bumps are relative, man.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on January 26, 2014, 08:18:15 PM
Bumps are relative, man.

And much sweeter in an awesome car
Will

Rich

Reading some more, looks like I've found others with the same issue. 
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=439161

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=261156

It's more like a rubbing/rumbling than anything.  The problem seems to be u joint flatsport (?) or rear diff movement.

I blew some dough on some shit.  Clutch, shock tower brace, rotors, pads, fluid, braided lines, 2 new S-Drives, a trunk carpet, and bluetooth reciever.  New shocks, reupholstered seats, and rust removal to come soon. 

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 02, 2014, 07:20:17 PM
Reading some more, looks like I've found others with the same issue. 
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=439161

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=261156

It's more like a rubbing/rumbling than anything.  The problem seems to be u joint flatsport (?) or rear diff movement.

I blew some dough on some shit.  Clutch, shock tower brace, rotors, pads, fluid, braided lines, 2 new S-Drives, a trunk carpet, and bluetooth reciever.  New shocks, reupholstered seats, and rust removal to come soon. 

Didn't your car come with a strut tower brace from the factory? or is it a rear strut tower brace?

Also, you might get better stiffening from a pair of frog arms than a strut bar. My car has some pretty bad(IMO) cowl shake after I stiffened up the suspension, it has a factory strut tower brace in the front.

I plan on installing the frog bars before spring.

Rich

Frog arms will come later, if I keep it that long (~2 years more).  The shock tower brace is less expensive and less labor intensive.  It didn't come with a front tower brace. 

Keep us posted on the frog arms.  I'm curious how well they do.  I wish adding a structural beam from the cowl to the ear bulkead on the driver and passenger side of the car wouldn't be so impractical.  I think that'd take care of most of the flimsiness.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 02, 2014, 08:45:49 PM
Frog arms will come later, if I keep it that long (~2 years more).  The shock tower brace is less expensive and less labor intensive.  It didn't come with a front tower brace. 

Keep us posted on the frog arms.  I'm curious how well they do.  I wish adding a structural beam from the cowl to the ear bulkead on the driver and passenger side of the car wouldn't be so impractical.  I think that'd take care of most of the flimsiness.

People who add door bars say they make a difference. The more cut-down ones look like a decent compromise.

Byteme

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 02, 2014, 07:20:17 PM

Which shock tower brace did you buy?

Rich

Flyin Miata.  It isn't pretty, but supposed to be good.  We'll see if I notice a difference.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 05, 2014, 12:31:30 AM
Flyin Miata.  It isn't pretty, but supposed to be good.  We'll see if I notice a difference.

Do tell, I'm kind of interested in one. Though I should probably check if it'd clear my hood.

Byteme

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 05, 2014, 12:31:30 AM
Is that the one that just goes from shock tower to shock tower or is it the one that also ties into the firewall?

I put an OEM brace on my 95M and I think there was a difference but if there was it was minimal at best.

FWIW, I was told that if you don't buy the three point brace you are better off with the OEM brace out of a salvage yard.  It's a pretty stout assembly and fits like a glove.

Rich

New head unit, 2 new S drives, redline steering wheel wrap, and oil are in.  Waiting on brake stuff from FM and some new shocks.  Hopefully by March the car will be ready to rock and roll.

FlatBlackCaddy

"New head unit"

unnecessary weight

"2 new S drives"

unnecessary weight

"redline steering wheel wrap"

Bling

"and oil are in"

Waste of time, I never change oil.

Rich

I'm actually really excited about the head unit.  The volume knob doesn't really work and takes patience (sometimes you turn it down and the volume goes up). 

I'll have bluetooth, too, so won't have to do the fm transmitter device thing. 

Is stereo theft still a thing?  Thats the biggest reason I haven't upgraded; tearing the top to get to the stereo or having to take off the faceplate.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HotRodPilot on February 14, 2014, 08:05:26 AM
I'm actually really excited about the head unit.  The volume knob doesn't really work and takes patience (sometimes you turn it down and the volume goes up). 

I'll have bluetooth, too, so won't have to do the fm transmitter device thing. 

Is stereo theft still a thing?  Thats the biggest reason I haven't upgraded; tearing the top to get to the stereo or having to take off the faceplate.

Rarely hear of stereo theft around here.

I put a kenwood(I think) deck in my NB so I could stream pandora. Go on a lot of long drives and I like having good tunes.

Rich

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on February 14, 2014, 12:02:34 PM
Rarely hear of stereo theft around here.

I put a kenwood(I think) deck in my NB so I could stream pandora. Go on a lot of long drives and I like having good tunes.

The cell network here is just too crap to stream anything,  But it'll be nice to do back in the US.

AutobahnSHO

You could pop the headunit and just leave it under the seat. Good thieves probably know that people do that though. How much is the headunit? If it's not over $150 I'd guess it's not really worth a thieves' time....
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 01, 2014, 06:44:19 AM
You could pop the headunit and just leave it under the seat. Good thieves probably know that people do that though. How much is the headunit? If it's not over $150 I'd guess it's not really worth a thieves' time....

I think you are severely overestimating the intelligence of the everyday stereo theif.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rich

Well, the car wouldn't start.  Probably fuel filter.  Towed to a good joint in Bury St Edmunds.  New rotors, pads, lines, clutch, head unit, shocks, and shock tower bar dropped off.  Asked them to get rid of the rust and fix the oil leak. 

Hopefully I can get it back in a couple weeks.  So f'ing excited to road trip to Germany.

Rich

The shop said they would start on the car yesterday (28 March).  What should be a realistic completion date I should try and hold them to?  I told them two weeks on the 24th, but since they just started it, I'm doubting it can be done that fast (they didn't tell me otherwise).

FlatBlackCaddy

I'd think 4-5 days on the mechanical stuff, maybe 2-3 on the rust, an unidentified oil leak might take an extra day or 2 if it's really in a bad spot. If they have any wait time for parts it might drag it out a bit more.

I'd be hoping to hear from them by the middle of next week, maybe drop them a call on monday and see if they can update you on progress and the unidentified leak(which they should want to call you about anyway).

Rich

Thanks!  They haven't started on the rust yet.  I've just sent an e-mail to see if they'd seam weld some stuff for me while they are messing with the metal.  Hopefully they do!

https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/seamweld.php

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 03, 2014, 07:49:08 AM
Thanks!  They haven't started on the rust yet.  I've just sent an e-mail to see if they'd seam weld some stuff for me while they are messing with the metal.  Hopefully they do!

https://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/seamweld.php

All that welding should be done when the cage is getting installed......

you are putting a cage in it, right?

Rich

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on April 03, 2014, 08:42:54 AM
All that welding should be done when the cage is getting installed......

you are putting a cage in it, right?

heck no.  If anything I've given serious thought about door bars. I don't want anything in the way of the open top experience.  Catch-22.