Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

veeman

It's kind of weird/creepy to have on your car a slogan of a curse given to a minor. Eff U Green Party doesn't have the same flair I get it but they should come up with something else.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 11, 2019, 02:14:08 PM
I think I read she is mildly autistic. It is kind of weird how obsessed with her the right wing internet is. I feel like they are more responsible for her fame than anyone else.

Exactly correct.

Read: Ocasio-Cortez

Also Read: Donald Trump
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on December 11, 2019, 02:30:28 PM
As the left makes her the poster child for climate change, the right makes her the poster child for what the left represents in this culture war.

Correct; plus she's the poster child for global warmology unduly scaring scaring children.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on December 11, 2019, 02:55:02 PM
Correct; plus she's the poster child for global warmology unduly scaring scaring children.

Scaring children or educating the clueless and ignorant   :hmm:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

New go-kart track opened up here. The usual 2 small tracks on the weekends and 1 big track in the middle of week. So I went yesterday with some guys and roasted em. The track is super grippy and I wish the karts went a bit faster. Also, they're electric karts but they make engine noises which is stupid af.

https://youtu.be/8BfyKThZrBg
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Track looks sort of fun... Cart seems really slow
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

About time...Morgan Is Redesigning its Chassis for the First Time in 83 Years

Low-volume British carmaker Morgan announced today it will phase out production of its traditional steel frame in 2020. The frame, which underpins the current 4/4, Plus 4, and V6 Roadster, is a variation on a design that was introduced all the way back in 1936, with Morgan's first four-wheeled vehicle, the 4-4.

That means the current models that use this steel frame will be replaced with new designs based on the company's new CX-generation aluminum platform, which debuted in 2019.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on December 12, 2019, 09:55:34 AM

Usual K1 speed type electric kart. Looks a little slower in the video than it was in person, maybe since it was a big track (1 minute lap times). But I'd definitely like a kart that went 10+ mph faster and made me use the brakes more. I might end up buying a shifter kart sometime.

Laconian

I can't watch Doug DeMuro's videos at home, my husband gets pissed whenever he hears Doug's voice :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on December 13, 2019, 12:15:25 AM
I can't watch Doug DeMuro's videos at home, my husband gets pissed whenever he hears Doug's voice :lol:

THIIIIS!

Quirks and features...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

THE MOST ________IEST CAR EVER!

giant_mtb

giant_mtb

I used to hate his videos, mostly because of him, but it grew on me and I like the depth he goes on each unique vehicle.

But he can still be totally fucking unbearable. Dude spends hours and hours with dozens and dozens of cars but still doesn't understand simple shit.  Like on the newer Ram trucks...they have a clip on the visor for papers, it has a paperclip symbol on it. Doug plays full retard and thinks it's a place to put actual paperclips.

Laconian

I wonder if I should watch his videos muted with autocaptioning turned on.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 12, 2019, 05:27:14 PM
Usual K1 speed type electric kart. Looks a little slower in the video than it was in person, maybe since it was a big track (1 minute lap times). But I'd definitely like a kart that went 10+ mph faster and made me use the brakes more. I might end up buying a shifter kart sometime.

You probably know this already, but UMC has WOW kart days where you get unlimited laps if you bring your own kart!

And Doug Demuro is alright, but I wish he were more concise with his words. No need to keep reminding me that you're explaining the quirksssssss and features of the [insert car's full name here] every single minute

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on December 12, 2019, 09:55:34 AM

That's probably a good chunk of GoPro effect.  Angles and true speed get distorted.

Laconian

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 13, 2019, 02:33:30 PM
You probably know this already, but UMC has WOW kart days where you get unlimited laps if you bring your own kart!

And Doug Demuro is alright, but I wish he were more concise with his words. No need to keep reminding me that you're explaining the quirksssssss and features of the [insert car's full name here] every single minute

Yeah, he doesn't structure the episodes at all. He should keep things focused on the highlights and use the car's quirks for seasoning. But he takes us down all these rambly high-pitched rabbit holes that just leave me exhausted.  His "more is more" approach probably gives him more YT interstitial ad revenue, but I'm sure it's costing him more viewers than it's worth.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 13, 2019, 02:33:30 PM

I did not know that WOW was open to karts. Sweet!

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on December 13, 2019, 02:41:27 PM
Yeah, he doesn't structure the episodes at all. He should keep things focused on the highlights and use the car's quirks for seasoning. But he takes us down all these rambly high-pitched rabbit holes that just leave me exhausted.  His "more is more" approach probably gives him more YT interstitial ad revenue, but I'm sure it's costing him more viewers than it's worth.

The problem is that he points out "quirks" that aren't, or weren't, actually quirky for a car of that time.  Like "oooh! This 1989 Buick has an ash tray and cigarette lighter!"  No shit, practically every car made up until like 1999 had an ash tray and cigarette lighter in it.  That's not quirky.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 13, 2019, 03:03:21 PM
The problem is that he points out "quirks" that aren't, or weren't, actually quirky for a car of that time.  Like "oooh! This 1989 Buick has an ash tray and cigarette lighter!"  No shit, practically every car made up until like 1999 had an ash tray and cigarette lighter in it.  That's not quirky.

Every single car he finds with a floor mounted hi-beam switch...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2019, 03:08:47 PM
Every single car he finds with a floor mounted hi-beam switch...

Yeah, it doesn't warrant more than a passing remark.  "There's the hi beam switch on the floor, which was common for cars from this time period".  Not "But where is the high beam switch for this car?  It's crazy!  They put the switch on the floor!  It's just so quirky!  Can you believe that?!"
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Like I said, the guy plays full retard for somebody who should know about all this shit by now.

He does it for da viewz.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on December 13, 2019, 03:10:31 PM
Yeah, it doesn't warrant more than a passing remark.  "There's the hi beam switch on the floor, which was common for cars from this time period".  Not "But where is the high beam switch for this car?  It's crazy!  They put the switch on the floor!  It's just so quirky!  Can you believe that?!"

Hey, I liked them, especially on automatics with bench seats. There's nothing else for your left foot to do, and its easy to use- why not mention why its actually a good idea?

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2019, 03:12:46 PM
Hey, I liked them, especially on automatics with bench seats. There's nothing else for your left foot to do, and its easy to use- why not mention why its actually a good idea?

Yeah I want that feature to make a comeback

FoMoJo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 13, 2019, 03:46:07 PM
Yeah I want that feature to make a comeback
Modern technology would likely make them more reliable, but I remember them getting jammed, especially in the Winter with all the grit and crap that sticks to your boots.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 13, 2019, 03:12:46 PM

He doesn't say it's a good idea though. It's CRAZY and QUIRKY!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 13, 2019, 04:11:21 PM
He doesn't say it's a good idea though. It's CRAZY and QUIRKY!

Exactly- he's said that about a billion times though- it might be OK to say something else.

MX793

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 13, 2019, 04:10:02 PM
Modern technology would likely make them more reliable, but I remember them getting jammed, especially in the Winter with all the grit and crap that sticks to your boots.

Not to mention corrosion from moisture, and salty moisture for those of us in the rust belt, in the floor mats.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Speed_Racer

Apparently we've jumped past buttons/levers and into auto-dimming high beams, I've yet to drive a car w/ that feature so no idea how effective it is