The Craigslist/eBay/AutoTrader Thread

Started by TheIntrepid, November 08, 2007, 07:42:21 PM

FoMoJo

But would you be able to fit inside it?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 31, 2018, 02:46:38 PM
But would you be able to fit inside it?

I don't think anybody would want to sit behind me, but yes, I think I would. Not 100% sure there, but I've been able to fit comfortably in most small cars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 31, 2018, 02:42:50 PM
Bleh.

Perfect vehicle to put knobby tires on and run the Gambler 500.

Perfect vehicle to rebuild with CRX performance parts (same underpinnings for the most part) and a D or B series engine.

Pefect vehicle to restore to factory condition

Perfect vehicle to buy, get reamed out by the wife for buying it, letting sit in the driveway for a year and reselling at loss.

LOL. Been there, done that.  :lol:

93JC

Hmm, it looks as though it's totally stock except for the radio, and is purportedly a 2.5 L, but the transmission shift range is for a four-speed. As far as I knew the four-cylinder was only ever available with a three-speed Chrysler, not the four-speed Aisin-Warner. At least, as far as I know that was the case in the Cherokee. Maybe the Comanche four-bangers got the stronger four-speed...?

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

shp4man

You call tell a lot about an older vehicle by the condition of the steering wheel. That Jeep doesn't look too bad.
It would likely clean up pretty good. Add a $1500 Maico paint job and it'd be pretty cool.

Too much rust/rockers gone?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

Quote from: 93JC on January 01, 2019, 11:25:20 PM
Hmm, it looks as though it's totally stock except for the radio, and is purportedly a 2.5 L, but the transmission shift range is for a four-speed. As far as I knew the four-cylinder was only ever available with a three-speed Chrysler, not the four-speed Aisin-Warner. At least, as far as I know that was the case in the Cherokee. Maybe the Comanche four-bangers got the stronger four-speed...?

I spent a while last night and this morning looking for old brochures on the internet. Found an '88 brochure and confirmed that the four-banger Comanches did indeed get the four-speed automatic. I didn't think the Cherokees did, but apparently so, from '87 to '90; just a very, very rare option. After '90 they beefed the transmission up for the 'high-output' 4.0 L, and the 2.5 was no longer available with an automatic. They brought the automatic option back in '94, but it was the Chrysler 30RH—a.k.a. the A904 TorqueFlite—that the Cherokee debuted with in '84.

What a back-asswards thing to do on Chrysler's part: AMC bought three-speed 904s from Chrysler from '84-'86, AMC replaced the 904 with the 4-speed Aisin-Warner in '87, Chrysler deleted the automatic option in '91, and brought the 904 back in '94.

MrH

7 hours?!  I didn't know people live that far north in Canada.  Figured it was just moose and mounties.

Interior looks great, but the rockers and tailgate look a little rough.

I like the giant fuel gauge where you'd expect a tach :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

93JC

Quote from: MrH on January 02, 2019, 01:50:05 PM
7 hours?!  I didn't know people live that far north in Canada.  Figured it was just moose and mounties.

Very sparsely populated up there. The total population of Alberta is about 4.4 million, but north of Edmonton I'd wager it's only a couple hundred thousand. The population of the territories is about 110,000 combined. That's across about 4,000,000 km2, which is about the size of Europe west of the Balkans and would be the seventh largest country in the world if counted separately.

QuoteInterior looks great, but the rockers and tailgate look a little rough.

I like the giant fuel gauge where you'd expect a tach :lol:

Base model Cherokees and Comanches had just the gas gauge and speedo, with idiot lights for water temperature, voltage and oil pressure. You can see the spots where these would otherwise be full gauges in better-equipped trims. E.g., from an '85 Cherokee:

The steering wheel is also a little odd; most had the three-spoke with round centre horn button as shown above. I don't know which trims had the two-spoke like the one in the ad, but after 1990 I'm pretty sure they got rid of it. (And in '95 the three-spoke was replaced with the Chrysler corporate wheel with an airbag.) I think the two-spoke was a GM steering wheel; it's very reminiscent of some of the '80s Chevy wheels.

Eye of the Tiger

The turn signal/high beam/cruise stalk is also clearly 80s GM. Nice job.

Eye of the Tiger

Wait
Why does have Cherokee have a turbo boost gauge?

Eye of the Tiger

93JC

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 02, 2019, 03:07:31 PM
The turn signal/high beam/cruise stalk is also clearly 80s GM. Nice job.

The whole column is out of the GM parts bin, ignition lock cylinder included. Early Cherokees and Comanches had GM keys with AMC logos stamped on them instead.

Seat belts are also right out of the GM bin. The buckles are exactly the same as old metal GM ones, except they have a 'starburst' pattern on the release button instead of the "Mark of Excellence".

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 02, 2019, 03:15:19 PM
Wait
Why does have Cherokee have a turbo boost gauge?

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 02, 2019, 03:17:04 PM
It's a diesel! I want it.

Hahaha, sheeeeit I didn't even notice it had a boost gauge instead of the voltmeter. Definitely a diesel. I don't think I've seen more than 10 turbodiesel Cherokee/Wagoneer/Comanches in person.

93JC

Hey Nick, I did a reverse image search: that turbodiesel Cherokee is from an active Hemmings listing:rockon:

277,000 miles and $8,500 (:mask:), but it's in very good shape.

giant_mtb

Holy gods is that clean. Get rid of the bull bar and she'd be perfect.

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

I love clean Cherokees :wub:

It's just the perfect retro style for an offroader
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

WookieOnRitalin

1987 Nissan Maxima SE w/only 53,000 original miles on it with one owner. It's a little overpriced, but I am certain that could be negotiated down. It's currently about 180 miles away from me. I absolutely love this era of Japanese makes.

1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

BimmerM3

Oh wow that is amazingly terrible. I love it.

Eye of the Tiger

shp4man

That old Maxima is a nice car. but if you get it, REPLACE THE TIMING BELT. They're valve benders. Many owners just let it go, and it's really expensive to replace the heads.

Submariner

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on January 08, 2019, 08:00:33 PM
1987 Nissan Maxima SE w/only 53,000 original miles on it with one owner. It's a little overpriced, but I am certain that could be negotiated down. It's currently about 180 miles away from me. I absolutely love this era of Japanese makes.

I love wonky 80's high tech interiors like that.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Speed_Racer

What a time capsule. And auto safety belts! haha

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 08, 2019, 08:09:52 PM
I prefer the Stanza.

My parents had a Stanza when I was born! I remember shifting the gears for my dad. He'd call out the gear numbers and I'd make the changes.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

A friend drove his parent's late '80s Toyota Cressida. Loved that car and it's my fave of the genre.

Onslaught

Quote from: Speed_Racer on January 08, 2019, 09:48:24 PM
What a time capsule. And auto safety belts! haha

My MX-3 had those. They would catch my head sometimes and take me for a ride.
bah weep granah weep nini bon

Eye of the Tiger

Esc0rt had those. They were so slow thar I pulled the fuse and buckled them manually. So many buckles. Racecar.