CR-V engine problems

Started by Payman, October 05, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

Payman

I guess the answer isn't CR-V...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/05/cars/consumer-reports-honda-cr-v-engine-trouble/index.html

"The problem occurs in 2017 and 2018 CR-Vs with Honda's new 1.5-liter turbocharged engine. There are more than 500,000 of them on the roads in the United States. Somehow, gasoline is getting into the car's lubricating oil which should not normally happen, Consumer Reports said. That dilutes the engine oil making it less effective at lubricating the engine. Over time, that can lead to engine damage and loss of power or stalling, especially on cold days or in heavy traffic."

giant_mtb

Gas in the oil??  How the frig.

CaminoRacer

Sounds like their carbs are flooding
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

shp4man

I don't really trust turbo motors. I'd be wary of buying one. That's just me, though.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 05, 2018, 01:49:53 PM
Carbs?

Its what bread's made out of. Bread is wheat, wheat is a plant. Most dinosaurs were plant eaters. Oil is made from dinosaurs. Hence, gas in the oil. Perfectly normal.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 05, 2018, 02:50:09 PM
Its what bread's made out of. Bread is wheat, wheat is a plant. Most dinosaurs were plant eaters. Oil is made from dinosaurs. Hence, gas in the oil. Perfectly normal.

Damn, son.

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2018, 03:03:11 PM
Damn, son.

Next, we will learn how to use sheep spleens to predict the weather.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 05, 2018, 02:50:09 PM
Ah, yes.

:confused:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 05, 2018, 04:02:40 PM
Ah, yes.

:confused:

In older cars, gasoline was too powerful to be burned directly by the engine, and had to be returned to bread form before being injected into the engine. Hence cars were fitted with carburetors to re-carbify the fuel.

Payman

shp4man

Turbos have an oil line and a coolant line. No fuel in the turbo, so it must be some kind of a control issue.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 05, 2018, 04:10:27 PM
In older cars, gasoline was too powerful to be burned directly by the engine, and had to be returned to bread form before being injected into the engine. Hence cars were fitted with carburetors to re-carbify the fuel.
That might explain why it always smelled like toast inside my old Mercury.

Payman

Gives you a higher breadline.

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 05, 2018, 04:31:27 PM
That might explain why it always smelled like toast inside my old Mercury.

Or you were having a stroke.

Payman

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 05, 2018, 04:10:27 PM

Those cars cost a lot of dough.

Payman

Working on them is such a PITA.

Payman

Without yeast injection you'll get a low breadline and it'll loaf along. Such a PITA.

Payman

What's it sound like?

Bunbunbunbunbunbunbunbunbunbunbunbun....

Payman

cawimmer430

FAKE NEWS.

No such thing as a Honda with problems. Stupid Leftist-Green media.

:tounge:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Soup DeVille

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Wait a minute. I just can't believe this of my beloved. I need to go into denial to protect myself from this trauma.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 06, 2018, 01:55:11 PM
Wait a minute. I just can't believe this of my beloved. I need to go into denial to protect myself from this trauma.

Get an M3.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 06, 2018, 01:55:11 PM
Accuse CR of sexual impropriety in college. That will get the heat off the CR-V's tail :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Ahh sounds like it's making oil.

Making oil seems like it's quite rare in the automotive world, but rather common in the marine outboard world.  Basically what happens is the engine is running too cold and the fuel condenses out of the mixture and basically flows past the piston rings into the crank.   It's called making oil because when you go check the oil, the level keeps going up and up, creating the illusion of the engine making more oil.   This is bad because fuel doesn't lubricate like oil does.

This is a much bigger problem in the boating outboard world because outboard motors run quite a bit cooler than automotive ones, as they use the raw water from their surroundings to cool the engine rather than a radiator and closed circuit.   They are often run for extended periods at idle at start up as the boat drives out of the river or harbor in the no wake zone.  An engine notorious for making oil is unfortunately the one on our boat, the Yamaha 4.2L V6.  The problem is made worse by the plasma cylinder walls which make it difficult to seat the piston rings.  Basically the way around this is the run the piss out of the boat early on in the break in period to seat the rings.  Also you should run the engine flat out at max RPM and max load for a bit every time you use it.

While it would be amusing to watch soccer moms top out their CR-Vs every day, I don't think it would be a viable solution for the CR-V.

Soup DeVille