CR-V engine problems

Started by Payman, October 05, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

Payman

Payman

In similar yet unsurprising news, big Focus recall coming. Some valve in the fuel system prone to clogging and shutting off the engine.

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on October 25, 2018, 05:07:29 PM
In similar yet unsurprising news, big Focus recall coming. Some valve in the fuel system prone to clogging and shutting off the engine.
It's the canister purge valve- a fuel vapor emissions part. I've seen a few of them go bad before this recall, but not really that many. I drive a 2014 Focus everyday- I kind of like it. The transmission thing is odd, I've seen some of them with 98,000 miles that never had an issue, and others that went bad every 6000 miles. Mine's been OK since the clutch job was done.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on October 25, 2018, 05:07:29 PM
Canister purge valve?  I would think that it would trigger a code.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 25, 2018, 05:17:58 PM
Canister purge valve?  I would think that it would trigger a code.

Sometimes it does. If it sticks wide open, the vacuum will actually collapse the plastic gas tank and the in-tank fuel pump can't pick up fuel--thus the stalling.

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on October 25, 2018, 05:16:57 PM
It's the canister purge valve- a fuel vapor emissions part. I've seen a few of them go bad before this recall, but not really that many. I drive a 2014 Focus everyday- I kind of like it. The transmission thing is odd, I've seen some of them with 98,000 miles that never had an issue, and others that went bad every 6000 miles. Mine's been OK since the clutch job was done.

Had the clutch and TCM replaced a year ago, no issues since. I'm at 166,000 km now. I like my Focus as well. Bought out the lease last year and I plan to run it into the ground.

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on October 25, 2018, 05:21:53 PM
Sometimes it does. If it sticks wide open, the vacuum will actually collapse the plastic gas tank and the in-tank fuel pump can't pick up fuel--thus the stalling.

Yes, that's exactly what I read.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: shp4man on October 25, 2018, 04:13:16 PM
If there is a rich fuel condition when warmed up, the check engine light should come on because that burns out very expensive catalytic converters.
It's not that rich

In fact I don't think it's a richness issue at all. When the engine is cold the rings aren't as well sealed. Couple that with insanely high pressure fuel injectors and you have some fuel getting past until things warm up. Wondering how Honda is fixing it through programming.... not sure how they can deliver adequate flow with lower pressure. Or what effect this will have on emissions. My inner conspiracy theorist wonders if this was their plan all along.....................................................
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 25, 2018, 05:45:36 PM
It's not that rich

In fact I don't think it's a richness issue at all. When the engine is cold the rings aren't as well sealed. Couple that with insanely high pressure fuel injectors and you have some fuel getting past until things warm up. Wondering how Honda is fixing it through programming.... not sure how they can deliver adequate flow with lower pressure. Or what effect this will have on emissions. My inner conspiracy theorist wonders if this was their plan all along.....................................................

Possibly changing some stuff to make it warm up faster
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Submariner

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 25, 2018, 05:45:36 PM
It's not that rich

Is there anyway they could run injectors at a lower pressure until the engine came up to temperature?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MexicoCityM3

Time to go back to a Mercedes, then.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

FoMoJo

So where are these 1.5t engines made, the ones in North America?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

shp4man

Quote from: Submariner on October 26, 2018, 05:33:34 PM
Is there anyway they could run injectors at a lower pressure until the engine came up to temperature?

The PCM can be reprogrammed to lower the duty cycle of the fuel injectors when cold, but it may cause stalling, rough running or other driveability problems.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on October 26, 2018, 05:52:33 PM
The PCM can be reprogrammed to lower the duty cycle of the fuel injectors when cold, but it may cause stalling, rough running or other driveability problems.
I would think that raw gasoline sloshing around in the combustion chambers would cause a bit of rough running was well.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on October 26, 2018, 05:33:34 PM

not on a direct injection engine, no.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 26, 2018, 07:03:22 PM
not on a direct injection engine, no.

Why not (I'm not very familiar with these systems)?

What about utilizing port + DI?

Morris Minor

The fix that Honda's rolling out:

• Update to PGM-FI and TCU software
  • Replacement of A/C control unit
  • Throttle position reset
  • PCM idle learn procedure
  • Oil change
I'm hoping to get this done before the end of the year.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on October 26, 2018, 10:07:28 PM
Why not (I'm not very familiar with these systems)?

What about utilizing port + DI?

The injector has to spray into the cylinder on the compressing stroke, and during combustion itself, so it has to be higher than the pressure in the combustion chamber itself. Even though injection can also happen on the intake stroke, the design of the injector does not give much leeway on the pressure and still atomize.

It might be possible to use a second, lower pressure injector, but that's not an easy or elegant fix.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

I feel like Honda may use direct AND port injection, which will give them some flexibility.

Laconian

I remember reading about some manufacturers using a hybrid approach...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner

Quote from: Laconian on October 27, 2018, 12:27:09 PM
I remember reading about some manufacturers using a hybrid approach...

Doesn't the corvette utilize DI + port?

12,000 RPM

I think most new Toyotas do.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 27, 2018, 06:33:27 PM
I think most new Toyotas do.
As do Ford and Audi on a number of their engines.

Galaxy

Most are switching over to a hybrid system to deal with the carbon build up that is plaguing everyone.

Morris Minor

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 25, 2018, 05:23:13 AM
What I submitted to Consumer Reports' "Share Your Story" site:

I bought my 1.5T AWD CR-V in January 2018.  The dealer changed the oil at the recommended 5,000 miles in late July 2018.
I first noticed a smell of gasoline in our garage in early October 2018 (like we have an old 1960s-era car, with a leaky carbureted fuel system.) I also notice occasional wafts of gasoline smell, when we drive with the windows down & roof open.
In mid-October I did a did a side-by-side dipstick smell test: from the cold engines of my 70,000-mile Infiniti G37 and the CR-V.
The Infiniti's oil (3,000 miles-old) was slightly grimy, a tiny bit down from the full mark, and smelled of used engine oil.
The Honda's oil (1,600 miles-old) was very marginally above full, looked pristine-clear, and smelled of gasoline.

In late October 2018, at 6,900 miles, I took the CR-V to the dealer for a precautionary early oil change. Two service advisors had never heard of the oil dilution problem. A third told me, "We've only had two."

Other than the smell, & suspicious dipstick test result, I've had no symptoms. But common sense tells me that the the longevity of the engines is suspect.

Well I know part of the problem: the CR-V's heater starts warming the passenger compartment long before the engine temp gauge has moved off its bottom stop. The Infiniti's heater kicks in way later down the road. So Honda is keeping its little engine cold (& therefore mixture-rich) way too long.

This is basic stuff.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

AutobahnSHO

Will

12,000 RPM

Could the fix be as simple as a new thermostat?

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 06, 2018, 05:29:54 PM
Could the fix be as simple as a new thermostat?

If the symptom is the heater coming on too soon, I'd think that'd be the auto climate control.

Eye of the Tiger

Show me logs of all engine data from a cold start until the engine is warm.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Eh, I think variability in the gauges is a more probable cause for the different observations.

Most temp gauges now are not analog-type sweep gauges, but more digital-style things with only 3 positions (cold-normal-hot).
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV