Driven Today!!!

Started by TheIntrepid, September 20, 2007, 01:43:23 PM

JYODER240

Quote from: CJ on September 23, 2007, 11:06:46 AM
But other cars in its class aren't going to be fun to drive.  They're boats.

I've driven them all. If you want to compare them the LS430 is the least fun to drive. It has worse steering feel, brake feel, more body roll and more dissconnected from the road. It's no more fun to drive than a Lincoln Town Car.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

CJ

Ah, I see.  Is it comfortable, though?

JYODER240

Yes, it's comfortable, quite, and luxurious.

CJ

Is that its most redeeming quality?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 11:15:24 AM
Yes, it's comfortable, quite, and luxurious.

Just like my new desk chair.  :praise:

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

The Pirate

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 11:06:09 AM
I'm saying that you can't argue that the LS430 is fun to drive whether your compare it to cars in general or cars in it's class.

Sure you can. 

Lexus LS430, Cadillac DTS, Lincoln Town Car: (I'm sure they get cross shopped fairly frequently).  Which would be the most fun to drive?

Lexus LS430, Toyota Prius, Chevy Cobalt, Acura RL:  Same question as above.

I've driven an LS400 and found it quite fun, moreso than any car I've owned sans the Protege and possibly the Civic.  Obviously, an LS430 not going to hold a candle to a 350Z but using your assertion of comparing it to cars in general; it becomes rather easy to find cars that do indeed render the LS430 fun to drive.

Alas, we will be getting into semantics shortly, and I don't care enough to continue. 
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

JYODER240

Quote from: CJ on September 23, 2007, 11:16:13 AM
Is that its most redeeming quality?

It's a good car if you want something smooth, luxurious, and relieable. But it is in no way fun to drive. It's one of the least fun to drive cars built in the last 10years.

the Teuton

I think the standard Cobalt is terribly unfun.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

Quote from: The Pirate on September 23, 2007, 11:17:07 AM

Sure you can. 

Lexus LS430, Cadillac DTS, Lincoln Town Car: (I'm sure they get cross shopped fairly frequently).  Which would be the most fun to drive?

Lexus LS430, Toyota Prius, Chevy Cobalt, Acura RL:  Same question as above.

I've driven an LS400 and found it quite fun, moreso than any car I've owned sans the Protege and possibly the Civic.  Obviously, an LS430 not going to hold a candle to a 350Z but using your assertion of comparing it to cars in general; it becomes rather easy to find cars that do indeed render the LS430 fun to drive.

Alas, we will be getting into semantics shortly, and I don't care enough to continue. 

The LS430 is no more fun to drive than a DTS or Town Car. I haven't driven a Prius but a Cobalt and RL are more fun to drive. The Cobalt and RL can alteast go through a corner without clumsily falling over themselves. The RL is actually a competent handling car.

Look, I've driven alot of cars, from a Cavalier to a 911 Turbo and just about anything in between. I'm not saying the LS430 is the most boring car to drive there is, but it's certianly not one you can call fun to drive.

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on September 23, 2007, 11:20:15 AM
I think the standard Cobalt is terribly unfun.

It's par for new economy cars.

The Pirate

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 11:26:41 AM
The LS430 is no more fun to drive than a DTS or Town Car. I haven't driven a Prius but a Cobalt and RL are more fun to drive. The Cobalt and RL can alteast go through a corner without clumsily falling over themselves. The RL is actually a competent handling car.

Look, I've driven alot of cars, from a Cavalier to a 911 Turbo and just about anything in between. I'm not saying the LS430 is the most boring car to drive there is, but it's certianly not one you can call fun to drive.

Again, this is all your opinion, hardly proven facts.

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 11:27:43 AM
It's par for new economy cars.

Jordan, this is coming from a guy who drives a 14-year-old station wagon.  Either that says a lot for my car of very little for the Cobalt.  Most Civics I've driven have been a lot more fun than the 'Balt.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

JYODER240

Quote from: The Pirate on September 23, 2007, 11:29:20 AM

Again, this is all your opinion, hardly proven facts.

Do you honestly think an LS430 is a fun car to drive? Have you driven one or its competitors to know? By your line of thinking a Camry can be more fun to drive than an Elise.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 11:33:08 AM
Do you honestly think an LS430 is a fun car to drive? Have you driven one or its competitors to know? By your line of thinking a Camry can be more fun to drive than an Elise.

Are you retarded, dude? You're mindlessly bashing the car for no reason. No one's saying that it even holds a candle to your 350Z or an Elise. We're simply trying to argue that the term "boring" is subjective, especially for a $70k car.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 23, 2007, 11:35:11 AM
Are you retarded, dude? You're mindlessly bashing the car for no reason. No one's saying that it even holds a candle to your 350Z or an Elise. We're simply trying to argue that the term "boring" is subjective, especially for a $70k car.

Most things that cost $70k are probably quite interesting in many ways, but fun might be a bit of a stretch.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

the Teuton

I could imagine drifting a 380 hp RWD sedan.  I think it would be fun.

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on September 23, 2007, 11:31:22 AM
Jordan, this is coming from a guy who drives a 14-year-old station wagon.  Either that says a lot for my car of very little for the Cobalt.  Most Civics I've driven have been a lot more fun than the 'Balt.

Many new cars are less fun to drive than older ones. New cars keep getting more refined and more disconnected from the road. Some of the Cobalts competitors probably are more fun like the Civics and Focus's(Foci?) but there's others like the Toyota's, Hyundai's, and Kia's that are probably no better if not worse.

JYODER240

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 23, 2007, 11:35:11 AM

Where did I compare the LS to a 350Z or Elise? Go ahead and call boring a subjective term but no one with any credible opinion with cars or has an idea what they are talking about are going to consider the LS430 fun to drive. It's no secret that Lexus is known for making cars that are boring, uncommunicative, and dissconnected from the road. I drive the cars just about everyday, I know what they are like. Go ahead and read just about any review or comparison done with an LS and see if they don't agree with me. I'm not "mindlessly bashing the car for no reason". I'm calling it for what it is. It's a comfortable, relieable, luxurious car. But it's not fun to drive. If i'm so wrong please go on and tell me how it is fun to drive and how it compares to other cars in it's class.

JYODER240

Quote from: the Teuton on September 23, 2007, 11:39:13 AM
I could imagine drifting a 380 hp RWD sedan.  I think it would be fun.

You can't drift an LS. It doesn't let you.

the Teuton

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 11:47:48 AM
You can't drift an LS. It doesn't let you.

Obviously I have not messed with cars that have stability control much.  Are you saying that it's impossible to do parking lot donuts in an LS?

CJ

Considering that the traction control system in those isn't defeatable, then yes.

Submariner

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 23, 2007, 10:58:23 AM
It's arguable, Jordan. I can drive a 4-cylinder Toyota Camry hard as hell, like I stole it, wheelspin, doriftoooo and all. That ride would be fun as hell. Remember those Arabs drifting in their Camries and Accords? They were seriously having fun in those cars.

No, it's a fact.  The LS is the posterchild for refinement and boredom.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

the Teuton

Quote from: CJ on September 23, 2007, 11:51:04 AM
Considering that the traction control system in those isn't defeatable, then yes.

If I'm building up speed in an LS and take a hard corner, what will happen?  Will the car slow down even though your foot is pressed to the floor?  Excuse my ignorance.

Champ

Tomorrow I'm going to open track day at Brainerd International Raceway, should be a good time.  Hopefully I'll get a ride along with some cool cars!

This track is just chalk full of long straights and huge runoffs if your brakes fail :)

This track should suit my car really well, it'll get to stretch it's legs!  :p

I'm not sure what Waterford Hills Raceway's straight was, but I believe it to be shorter than 1/4 mile (1320 feet).  So I'm thinking I'll get up to ~120-130 hopefully.

CJ

Most likely.  It'll slow you down so you can keep traction.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: CJ on September 23, 2007, 11:54:15 AM
Most likely.  It'll slow you down so you can keep traction.

When have YOU been in an LS?!

Also, you're one to talk about how "boring" these cars are. Didn't you want a Park Avenue?

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Submariner

08' R-32.  Great engine, great chassis, great transmission, great exhaust, great seats, yet it somehow manages to have the most infuriating seat controls ever.   
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

The Pirate

Quote from: JYODER240 on September 23, 2007, 11:33:08 AM

I have driven an LS400, a 2nd gen Cadillac Seville, and a couple of Lincoln Town Cars, speaking of cars that could be considered LS competitors.  Out of that group I thought the LS400 was more fun to drive than said other cars.  Obviously, I can't speak without a doubt about the LS430, but reason stands that it would be very comparable to the LS400.

As far as my line of thinking going to a Camry being more fun than an Elise, I never said or implied that.  I don't know where you came up with that.

I like cars, and truth be told, I could find some level of fun to drive any car.  Obviously, I'm not claiming an LS430 is anywhere near as fun to drive as a Porsche, except maybe, maybe the Cayenne (BTW, that was a joke, no need for you to rebut it :tounge:).  I'm not even claiming it to be as fun to drive as a 350Z or a Mustang. 

But, I can give you a list of cars (please send a SASE and check for $49.99, said list will be mailed out the same day :lol:) that I find wholly less fun to drive than the LS430, based on all the cars I have driven compared to my test drive of the LS400 (again assuming that dynamics are similar between the two).

To answer the first question in your post:  Yes, I honestly think the LS430 is a fun car to drive.  It's reasonably quick, has acceptable handling, and is refined.  Note I'm not using the superlative, I fully acknowledge that many cars would rank higher.

At any rate, this is getting rather asinine.  A car being fun to drive is a subjective thing, there is no cold, hard facts.  It's all opinion.  I thought my Civic was a blast to drive, I'm sure you'd think otherwise.  That's fine, that's the whole point of differing views.

CJ

Quote from: TheIntrepid on September 23, 2007, 11:54:55 AM
When have YOU been in an LS?!

Also, you're one to talk about how "boring" these cars are. Didn't you want a Park Avenue?

I've been in an LS many times.  Very comfortable vehicle.  And yes, I want a Park Avenue.  Anything wrong with that?  Sure, it's broing, but it's what I want.  Got a problem with it?

And when you say "When have YOU been in an LS?" it makes you look very arrogant.  It's like you just told me I'm poor.  I take that as an insult.  We're not wealthy, we're not poor, we're well off.

CJ

Trep, you really can be an asshole sometimes.