The Aztek Sucked!

Started by 2o6, January 04, 2021, 02:41:48 PM

2o6

FoMoJo

I agree with everything you said.  The Aztek was/is horrible, especially to look at.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Spam away.

Its interesting however that the guys who worked on the Aztec thought it was a great project.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

When it first came out, the local Rent-a-Wreck had a brand new bright yellow Aztek as one of their rentals.  Made me smirk.

I admit though, I judge it purely on appearance.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Speed_Racer

Hot take! I agree with you. "Lazy" was GM's mantra in those days

r0tor

Quote from: Speed_Racer on January 04, 2021, 03:34:58 PM

I don't even think it was lazy... If I remember it was suppose to be built on an off-road SUV platform and after much of the design was done someone in high up GM dumped it on a minivan platform at the last moment to save money.

A single bad management decision was what doomed it.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on January 04, 2021, 03:34:58 PM
At that time the domestic brands were driven by "bottom line" determination...aka "bean counters."  It cost them, and the taxpayers, dearly.

Laconian

IIRC the Aztek was initially better, but it was focused grouped into the dumb ugly design that we have today.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on January 04, 2021, 04:54:45 PM
IIRC the Aztek was initially better, but it was focused grouped into the dumb ugly design that we have today.

Not really, it failed the focus groups. The Aztek's horribleness is entirely hogheaded GM management.

AutobahnSHO

My in laws had one- so super spacious!
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 04, 2021, 06:03:04 PM
My in laws had one- so super spacious!
Hopefully it had tinted windows so people couldn't see them in it. ;)

cawimmer430

This guy made an informative video about it. Seems pretty positive about the innovation and practicality behind the Aztec. Design-wise it's hideous.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjLXJpTR0Ro
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ChrisV

Designwise, it could fit in with today's crossovers quite easily.

It was almost $10k cheaper than the AWD minivan it was based on.

I think the concept actually looked worse...

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

veeman

Personally I though the Buick Rendezvous was even uglier.  I thought the Aztek was OK.  It has a certain Subaru ugly Crosstrek charm about it.  Especially in a bright color like yellow. 

Payman

Yeah the concept looked like a Ssangyong Actyon (wretch). That Trans Am one is actually pretty cool.