BMW 1-series officially released

Started by 2o6, May 26, 2019, 07:27:28 PM

2o6

Wow, this doesn't look very good.

I'm OK with the front fascia and the oversized kidney grilles, but the proportions as a whole of the car are so milquetoast. Even a Honda Civic has more interesting and sporty proportions.

https://www.motor1.com/news/351527/2020-bmw-1-series-revealed/

93JC

Poseur-mobile extraordinaire. I bet they'll sell oodles of them.

12,000 RPM

Why this over a Golf or new Focus

Someone please tell me.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

I like the interior of this thing, but the exterior looks almost like an X2 minus like 6 inches of ground clearance.  Something about it seems weird.

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 26, 2019, 08:20:45 PM

Someone please tell me.

Dat roundel.

Eye of the Tiger

Someone please tell me.

Because propellers?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

93JC

No, FY, A. Not only was I quicker I'm typing on my phone, which I'm notoriously slow and shitty at! :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on May 26, 2019, 08:42:37 PM
No, FY, A. Not only was I quicker I'm typing on my phone, which I'm notoriously slow and shitty at! :lol:

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

93JC

cawimmer430

It looked so much better with the camouflage on!'

Wow, this looks underwhelming. I can live with the side and rear profiles, but that front... is that a parody or a joke? It looks awful. The enlarged kidney grilles and those bulbous headlights - zero harmony. Terrible.

Maybe it will look better in person, and maybe the facelift can save the design just like the facelift somewhat improved the looks of the F20 1er.

Great-looking interior, though.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on May 26, 2019, 07:27:28 PM
Even a Honda Civic has more interesting and sporty proportions.

Or...  :wub: :praise:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Submariner

Someone please tell me.

Those striking good looks...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

BimmerM3

Someone please tell me.

But at the same time... why not this over a Golf?

I'm not sure how they'll compare price-wise, but probably a lot of people didn't consider the old 1er because of its relatively cramped interior compared to other vehicles in its class. This move changes that.

This will probably flop in the states but be quite popular in Europe.

MX793

Too much metal over the top of the wheel arches.  Even/especially in the front.  Makes it look like a lowered SUV/CUV rather than a car.  And I'm guessing it's wearing 17s?  So not exactly small diameter wheels/tires going on there.  Base of the windshield is too high as a result (way higher than the bottom of the side glass).

The rest of the design language is pretty inoffensive and generic.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

giant_mtb

Quote from: MX793 on May 27, 2019, 10:07:15 AM
Too much metal over the top of the wheel arches.  Even/especially in the front.  Makes it look like a lowered SUV/CUV rather than a car.  And I'm guessing it's wearing 17s?  So not exactly small diameter wheels/tires going on there.  Base of the windshield is too high as a result (way higher than the bottom of the side glass).

The rest of the design language is pretty inoffensive and generic.

Yes. That's what it is.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: BimmerM3 on May 27, 2019, 09:50:07 AM
But at the same time... why not this over a Golf?

I'm not sure how they'll compare price-wise, but probably a lot of people didn't consider the old 1er because of its relatively cramped interior compared to other vehicles in its class. This move changes that.

This will probably flop in the states but be quite popular in Europe.
I think by the fact that it's a BMW, it's gonna cost more, throwing any hope for value out the window.

I mean, at least with the A-Class you get MB's gorgeous interior design language. Golf was, is and always will be good value. Take the roundel off this thing and what are you left with?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MexicoCityM3

This will sell a lot more than the previous one, FWD and all.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 27, 2019, 10:41:00 AM
I think by the fact that it's a BMW, it's gonna cost more, throwing any hope for value out the window.

I mean, at least with the A-Class you get MB's gorgeous interior design language. Golf was, is and always will be good value. Take the roundel off this thing and what are you left with?

I dunno, but you're making a whole lot of assumptions about a car that no one has driven yet. :huh:

And FWIW, 22k for a base Golf doesn't exactly scream "good value" to me. :huh:

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

This actually looks pretty decent.  :ohyeah:

BMW Wastes No Time Revealing New 1-Series M Performance Parts

Less than 24 hours after the unveiling of the new generation 1-Series, BMW went ahead and released a catalogue of M Performance parts for their first front-wheel drive compact hatch (the 2-Series AC / GT are technically considered MPVs).

Available right after the car launches in the market towards the end of the year, the accessories won't make the new German compact hatchback any faster, though some upgrades will help it stop quicker. In particular, the new sports braking system with 18-inch, inner-vented and perforated discs and 4-piston aluminum fixed calipers at the front, and single-piston floating caliper at the back, all finished in red.

Of course, there will be a comprehensive suit of aerodynamic parts made from carbon fiber (CF), all of which were developed in a wind tunnel. These include a front splitter, rear spoiler, aero flicks, side sill inserts and rear diffuser, while you can also add CF mirror caps too. The kidney grille can also be upgraded with a mesh design, while the side lettering comes in Frozen black and you can add multicolored graphic prints too.

Elsewhere, the catalogue offers 18-inch forged summer wheels in a Y-spoke pattern in Jet Black or bigger 19-inch rim in a dual tone finish. If you prefer winter tires, these can be combined with 18″ wheels in Ferric Grey with a Y-spoke pattern and can be used with snow chains. They too can be combined with the M Performance brakes. BMW also recommends purchasing the optional wheel bags.

The M Performance steering wheel is the only major upgrade inside. It gets Alcantara grip area, large thumbrest, silver-grey, hand-sewn cross-stitching and red 12 o'clock marking. Additionally, customers can enhance it with a choice of carbon fiber/Alcantara or carbon fiber/leather, and these options also bring the 6 o'clock detail with the M Performance inscription.

Cars equipped with the Steptronic sports transmission can be fitted with carbon fiber paddle shifters. Finally, a set of exclusive velvet velour floor mats and the door projectors, with three different motives, complete the offering.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/05/bmw-wastes-no-time-in-revealing-new-1-series-m-performance-parts/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

I originally really liked the new BMW grill, but the more I see it the less I like it.  I thought at first it was just too much chrome but now seeing it blacked out I don't really think it looks that good.

SJ_GTI

Someone mentioned it earlier, but the first thing that occurred to me is that this looks like a lower CUV. Not necessarily a bad thing I guess, but I think both the A Class is probably the best looking german hatch at the moment.

CALL_911

Imo best looking hatch will always go to the Golf

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CaminoRacer

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 28, 2019, 11:22:07 PM
Imo best looking hatch will always go to the Golf

Just hope you like it with the windows down :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Xer0 on May 28, 2019, 08:51:34 AM
I originally really liked the new BMW grill, but the more I see it the less I like it.  I thought at first it was just too much chrome but now seeing it blacked out I don't really think it looks that good.
Looks like fly eyes.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

cawimmer430

First initial review (no drive) from "Mr. AMG". It's obviously a superb car.  :ohyeah:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0bJqvrAMZ0

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger