license plate covers

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 10, 2018, 07:27:18 AM

Rupert

There are a lot of instances during daylight where DRLs are good, or at least better than nothing. Dim skies at dawn and dusk, rain, heavy cloud cover, long tunnels, sun directly behind you, etc. A lot of people don't turn their lights on in these situations, and IMO that ranges from unimportant to dangerous depending on the conditions. It's amazing to me that people don't turn their lights on in the rain in a place like Seattle, you'd think they would be used to it!

I would like to see all cars with DRLs that include rear lights. Headlights on any car, especially with an always lit dash, should be automatic and come on in dim conditions as well as night (auto lights I've seen have all had a few seconds delay so they don't go on and off every time you drive through a shadow). All cars should have lights that come on when the wipers are in one of the middle delay settings.

All auto lights should have an off switch, but then go back to auto the next time the car is started. I think GM (?) trucks (?) have a switch that goes off (until the transmission is put back in drive or reverse IIRC), auto, parking, on. I think fog lights should be able to be put on with the brights and without the lows on at all, though this should probably not be real intuitive (the 944 can do it, you turn the headlights on, then the fogs, then turn the headlights to parking only). I don't really see many reasons to turn DRLs off (sorry GQC6), but I'd be good with having that option, especially if the full headlights are automatic and come on in dim conditions.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

shp4man

All these new features and safety regs...Jesus, I have to know them as part of my job, but I just get tired of idiots that can't operate a car when the stupid electronic shit fails.
In 1965, the shit didn't exist, and somehow they made it without it. I hate modern car turn signals, controlling then is distracting. And lane change warnings. And adaptive cruise control. And complex audio system controls. And ridiculous, over complicated electronic automatic temperature controls. And back up cameras, don't trust them. And fucking power tailgates. If you can't lift a tailgate, then buy a fucking car.
Even electronic engine controls, and trouble codes and all the rest.

That's why I love my old truck. None of that stupid shit.

CaminoRacer

The Mazda has a blurry license plate cover. Maybe I'll take it off when it's renewal time.

(nevermind the fact that it renews in June and I'll have forgotten all about this thread by then)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rupert on January 11, 2018, 09:49:45 PM
There are a lot of instances during daylight where DRLs are good, or at least better than nothing. Dim skies at dawn and dusk, rain, heavy cloud cover, long tunnels, sun directly behind you, etc. A lot of people don't turn their lights on in these situations, and IMO that ranges from unimportant to dangerous depending on the conditions. It's amazing to me that people don't turn their lights on in the rain in a place like Seattle, you'd think they would be used to it!

I would like to see all cars with DRLs that include rear lights. Headlights on any car, especially with an always lit dash, should be automatic and come on in dim conditions as well as night (auto lights I've seen have all had a few seconds delay so they don't go on and off every time you drive through a shadow). All cars should have lights that come on when the wipers are in one of the middle delay settings.

All auto lights should have an off switch, but then go back to auto the next time the car is started. I think GM (?) trucks (?) have a switch that goes off (until the transmission is put back in drive or reverse IIRC), auto, parking, on. I think fog lights should be able to be put on with the brights and without the lows on at all, though this should probably not be real intuitive (the 944 can do it, you turn the headlights on, then the fogs, then turn the headlights to parking only). I don't really see many reasons to turn DRLs off (sorry GQC6), but I'd be good with having that option, especially if the full headlights are automatic and come on in dim conditions.
It's a state law here in Ohio that you must have you headlights on any time you're using your wipers! As far as off switched the C6 DRLs can be switched off but will come back on after a restart! Honestly they aren't as bad as the (dim) Headlight style since they use the Blinkers. But I still don't like them..........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on January 11, 2018, 11:36:17 PM
All these new features and safety regs...Jesus, I have to know them as part of my job, but I just get tired of idiots that can't operate a car when the stupid electronic shit fails.
In 1965, the shit didn't exist, and somehow they made it without it. I hate modern car turn signals, controlling then is distracting. And lane change warnings. And adaptive cruise control. And complex audio system controls. And ridiculous, over complicated electronic automatic temperature controls. And back up cameras, don't trust them. And fucking power tailgates. If you can't lift a tailgate, then buy a fucking car.
Even electronic engine controls, and trouble codes and all the rest.

That's why I love my old truck. None of that stupid shit.

I think some of these things are part of the reason why some mid-'80s SUVs are fetching as much as 30 grand.

They had what people really want, and not much more.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2018, 08:01:29 PM
I think some of these things are part of the reason why some mid-'80s SUVs are fetching as much as 30 grand.

+7

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 12, 2018, 08:01:29 PM

I've been watching K5 Blazers! Those things are bringing big bucks!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 11, 2018, 03:46:28 PM
No, it doesn't, especially after an intense bright light like a headlight.

"Human eyes take several hours to fully adapt to darkness and reach their optimal sensitivity to low light conditions. The quickest gains in vision sensitivity are made in the first few minutes after exposure to darkness. For this reason, many people think that after only a few minutes, their eyes have reached their peak sensitivity."

http://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/2013/08/09/how-long-does-it-take-our-eyes-to-fully-adapt-to-darkness/

This is why for my astronomy class 10yrs ago, the assignments said to read all the assignment instructions, then use red light ONLY if needed, but go outside away from all lights and wait 20min before trying to look for certain features/ constellations.
Will

veeman

The reason why mid 80s SUVs are fetching big money is the same reason why 60s/70s muscle cars were huge money a decade ago. 

People in their mid 40s remember them from their childhood.  Modern base model non-luxury SUVs don't have a lot of the electronic doo-dads like lane departure noises or adaptive cruise control.  Who complains about the presence of a back up camera?  Auto climate control can always be turned off.  Most annoying thing for me are seat belt chimes. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on January 14, 2018, 12:52:02 PM
The reason why mid 80s SUVs are fetching big money is the same reason why 60s/70s muscle cars were huge money a decade ago. 

People in their mid 40s remember them from their childhood.  Modern base model non-luxury SUVs don't have a lot of the electronic doo-dads like lane departure noises or adaptive cruise control.  Who complains about the presence of a back up camera?  Auto climate control can always be turned off.  Most annoying thing for me are seat belt chimes. 

Yeah, there are still plenty of things present on even base level SUVs that some find superfluous or annoying.

And to be honest, I don't cate for backup cameras either.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

80s Broncos and Wagoneers also have a cool honest ruggedness factor that is missing in new vehicles

JWC

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 14, 2018, 01:25:50 PM
80s Broncos and Wagoneers also have a cool honest ruggedness factor that is missing in new vehicles

http://wagonmaster.com/inventory/

Soup DeVille

JWC

I've always liked the Grand Wagoneer. I remember neighbors had a new one when I lived in Livermore in 1977 and I paid them for a ride to work in Menlo Park---a very comfortable commute across the Bay.