Daddy, this funny yellow light came on! What does it mean!!!

Started by shp4man, January 17, 2019, 08:49:46 AM

shp4man

I think the car manufacturers need to start putting owners manuals on millennial buyer's phones. Maybe with emojies so they could better understand the material.  :lol:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.tractionnews.com/goodyear-auto-service-just-tires-releases-new-study-on-millennialgen-z-drivers/amp/

"Goodyear Auto Service and Just Tires revealed in a new study that younger drivers (millennial/Gen Z) are more than 1.5 times more likely to identify popular emojis* correctly than the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) warning symbol." :lol:

veeman

The letters TPMS and exclamation point inside a cauldron is very unintuitive.  For a seat belt off warning light they show a person wearing a seat belt.  It's intuitive.  Why not show a deflated tire? 

BimmerM3

"People are better at recognizing things that they seem more often."

Thanks for the news flash.

shp4man

shp4man

I had one person ask me what the "Santa Claus" light meant. It was hard not to chuckle.  :lol:

BimmerM3

Quote from: shp4man on January 17, 2019, 09:42:13 AM
Read.....Owners......Manual.  :confused:

It was a survey, and one clearly designed by Goodyear to motivate more people to get into their stores. I'm assuming they didn't provide an owner's manual for reference.

Speed_Racer

:rolleyes: You see an emoji several times per day. You see a TPMS light a few times a year at most? Not surprised one is more recognizable than the other.

Most non-car people of any age don't know what their dash icons signify. A thermometer floating in an ocean, what's this gravy-boat looking thing, check engine: what about my engine am I supposed to check??  :lol:

shp4man

The left pedal makes it go faster and the right pedal makes it stop. What else do you need to know? Oh, wait.
Now, let me get around this school bus with the funny flashing red lights so I can pick up this text about what Kim Kardashian named her baby!

:lol:

giant_mtb

What does it even mean to "correctly identify" an emoji?  It's an emoji...it speaks for itself. 

*Eighty-eight percent of younger drivers surveyed correctly identified the eye-roll emoji, while 51 percent recognized the TPMS warning symbol.

Okay, so 88% of people see ":rolleyes:" and correctly identify it as an eye-roll?  WOW.  That's hard.

FoMoJo

Quote from: shp4man on January 17, 2019, 09:42:13 AM
Read.....Owners......Manual.  :confused:
Most people don't.  I do, but who the hell can remember all the information regarding the technology, etc.  Cars should be smart enough now to tell us what the problem is in plain language.  How hard would it be for a car to say "Fasten your seat belt" or "My left front tire is flat".
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Pretty much all the symbols used are archaic.

The CEL shows the silhouette of a carbureted V8 with a round top air cleaner and a fixed fan.

The oil light shows a style of oil can from steam era that most people would rub and hope a genie pops out.

The hi temp lights show a glass bulb mercury thermometer the mere possession of which would cause EPA enforcers to execute no-knock raids.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 17, 2019, 10:42:41 AM
Pretty much all the symbols used are archaic.

The CEL shows the silhouette of a carbureted V8 with a round top air cleaner and a fixed fan.

The oil light shows a style of oil can from steam era that most people would rub and hope a genie pops out.

The hi temp lights show a glass bulb mercury thermometer the mere possession of which would cause EPA enforcers to execute no-knock raids.

And traffic lights are still red, yellow, and green!

shp4man

Sorry, I know most of you are millenials, no offense. It's just so much fun to laugh at the shit.  ;)

It's like that stupid ass car insurance commercial where Mommy and teenage sonny boy are standing there saying how great their insurance is cause sonny boy got a flat tire and they fixed it for him. Cause he couldn't.   "Is this a lug wrench?"    :lol:  :lol: :lol:

Soup DeVille

Everytime I see someone make fun of "millenials" for lacking skills or knowledge, I read that as "the previous generation are pretty much shit as parents."

And no, I don't think most spinners qualify as millenials anyways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on January 17, 2019, 11:07:28 AM
Sorry, I know most of you are millenials, no offense. It's just so much fun to laugh at the shit.  ;)

None taken.  The idea that it's just a millenial problem...that's preposterous.  The vast majority of people on the road today, at any age, probably don't know what all the different CELs indicate.

BimmerM3

^ What they said

Also, this is an advertisement, not a legitimate study.

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 17, 2019, 11:37:42 AM
None taken.  The idea that it's just a millenial problem...that's preposterous.  The vast majority of people on the road today, at any age, probably don't know what all the different CELs indicate.

Sheeeeeeeeit, my mother didn't even know how to pump her own gas until well into her 50s. She still goes to the few "full-serve" stations still in town, so she doesn't have to do it herself.

Soup DeVille

Whoever that is needs to see a mechanic.

Oh, and where's the glow plug light?

giant_mtb

shp4man

41 is water in fuel (diesel)  11 is glow plug.  ;)  What's 50 and 56? Must be one 'a them furren cars.

giant_mtb

Quote from: shp4man on January 17, 2019, 12:16:48 PM
41 is water in fuel (diesel)  11 is glow plug.  ;)  What's 50 and 56? Must be one 'a them furren cars.

sar·casm
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt

56 looks like a shock absorber, so perhaps an indicator for vehicles with air suspensionz?

BimmerM3

What's 50 and 56?

OMG YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT WARNING LIGHT MEANS YOU MUST BE A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING STOP DRIVING RIGHT NOW YOU DON'T DESERVE TO OWN CARS

;)

shp4man

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 17, 2019, 12:21:33 PM
OMG YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT WARNING LIGHT MEANS YOU MUST BE A HORRIBLE HUMAN BEING STOP DRIVING RIGHT NOW YOU DON'T DESERVE TO OWN CARS

;)

I don't have the owner's manual... :(

FoMoJo

50 is that your car needs to take a pee.  That would be my guess.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

If 29 is "hot dog ready" then 50 is "hot dog with cheese."

Galaxy

What is 17? Looks like a shoe.

Soup DeVille

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on January 17, 2019, 12:34:01 PM
What is 17? Looks like a shoe.

Dunno, but then 18 is the same, but green and with other things that kinda look like a brake indicator...perhaps it means your brake shoes are bad or stuck?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 17, 2019, 12:40:49 PM
Dunno, but then 18 is the same, but green and with other things that kinda look like a brake indicator...perhaps it means your brake shoes are bad or stuck?

It means "bitch, you best be walkin"

Soup DeVille