Ancient Technology is sometimes difficult.

Started by shp4man, January 21, 2019, 01:15:23 PM

shp4man

So had been having this oddball misfire/hesitation in the old truck's engine. Mostly when cold, seemed like it cleared after warmup. Sometimes.
Replaced the coil first...nope.
I rejetted the carburetor to a more sea level appropriate size. Better power, but no fix.
Advanced the timing 4 degrees..way better power, but no fix
Ok, now this shit is pissing me off.
Ordered a nice set of new ACDelco plugs and plug wires from Rockauto, this has to be it!         Nope  :rage:
Usually when this kind of shit happens, it's a defective part that's already been replaced.
Some old tech from the 60s wrote a paper about points and condensers and it ended up online. He described the symptoms of a bad condenser.
Damn. A fucking 5 dollar condenser was causing the issue.
I had previously replaced the distributor with an OEM NOS one. Ya, well a little research showed me that condensers have a limited shelf life. The one in the distributor was from the 70s..... :banghead:
:lol: :violin:
I'm keeping the points, though. In case of an EMP attack... :lol:

FoMoJo

At least you did other stuff that made it run better :ohyeah:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

I could have told you it was the condenser. It's easy to check. That was literally the first thing that I though of when I read your first line.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

There are 2 more condensers on the truck. One for radio suppression and another wired into the voltage regulator circuits. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to continue...... ;)

GoCougs

Ancient tech, but it's pretty damn interesting how those old ignition systems worked, esp. getting 20,000+ volts from a 12VDC battery without any sort of computing or electronics. Smart cookies.