Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 23, 2020, 03:42:41 PM
What kind of drivers do you have down there?

Dumb as rocks
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 23, 2020, 03:42:41 PM
What kind of drivers do you have down there?

Same ones as lots of places. :(
Will

veeman

I think this hilarious slowing for slight curves is because people don't make a conscious decision to alter their driving habits when the roads are wet vs dry.  If the roads are wet and especially if your tires are balding, a slight curve will easily cause your car to shimmy and feel like it's gonna lose control if you didn't slow down.  So when that happens, it sticks in your mind subconsciously. 

shp4man

I usually exceed the speed limit, but just to a reasonable degree. There are some drivers here in SD whose driving style is just brainlessly tailgate whoever is in front of them, regardless of speed.
The Miata makes this interesting. Knowing a curve is ahead, I'll purposely speed up, and watch in the rear view mirror as they realize they've got a two G turn to deal with.   :muffin:
I know, it's not nice, but it's still entertaining.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on June 24, 2020, 08:51:04 AM
I usually exceed the speed limit, but just to a reasonable degree. There are some drivers here in SD whose driving style is just brainlessly tailgate whoever is in front of them, regardless of speed.
The Miata makes this interesting. Knowing a curve is ahead, I'll purposely speed up, and watch in the rear view mirror as they realize they've got a two G turn to deal with.   :muffin:
I know, it's not nice, but it's still entertaining.

:rockon:

I had some minivan think he was going to blow by me yesterday and I absolutely wasted him.
Will

FoMoJo

It stalled on the highway...$250,000 Lamborghini badly damaged in crash just 20 minutes after purchase: U.K. police

The police department shared some pictures of the destroyed vehicle on Twitter, adding that the car "stopped due [to] mechanical failure" in an outside lane of England's M1 — a motorway that connects London to Leeds — when it was "hit from behind by an innocent motorist."

Shoulda' got a Ferrari :huh:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

I would not call someone who hits a stalled car an "innocent motorist"

NomisR

Was it a Tesla with autopilot on?

FoMoJo

Something for rich people with bad taste...Mansory's Ford GT Has 700 HP, Looks Awful

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Morris Minor

Towards the end of the climb, as we were approaching the top of one the higher elevation roads here, the CR-V's dash lit up with warnings, one after the other, chimes accompanying each one: "Road Departure Mitigation"  "Lane Keep Assist" "Brake System" "Driver Assist" and so on.

Guess the poor thing was having hysterics. Couldn't handle it. It calmed down eventually.

I'm not in love with this thing. This is what happens with pathetic small turbo engines and CVTs, designed to game EPA fuel economy test cycles.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 04, 2020, 11:07:03 AM
Towards the end of the climb, as we were approaching the top of one the higher elevation roads here, the CR-V's dash lit up with warnings, one after the other, chimes accompanying each one: "Road Departure Mitigation"  "Lane Keep Assist" "Brake System" "Driver Assist" and so on.

Guess the poor thing was having hysterics. Couldn't handle it. It calmed down eventually.

I'm not in love with this thing. This is what happens with pathetic small turbo engines and CVTs, designed to game EPA fuel economy test cycles.

None of the systems those warnings are associated with are tied to engine or transmission.  They are typically associated with the Brake/ABS control module.  Lane keeper systems are linked to visual sensors and the power steering module.  A lot of hard cornering can throw some of those systems for a loop (despite shutting nannies off, my ESC/TCS frequently throws fits when I take my car to an auto-x).  Either you were over-working the TCS or maybe the ESC somehow.  Maybe overheated the power steering?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 04, 2020, 11:07:03 AM

Obviously Honda's quality has suffered.

Morris Minor

Quote from: MX793 on July 04, 2020, 11:50:22 AM
None of the systems those warnings are associated with are tied to engine or transmission.  They are typically associated with the Brake/ABS control module.  Lane keeper systems are linked to visual sensors and the power steering module.  A lot of hard cornering can throw some of those systems for a loop (despite shutting nannies off, my ESC/TCS frequently throws fits when I take my car to an auto-x).  Either you were over-working the TCS or maybe the ESC somehow.  Maybe overheated the power steering?
I agree - nothing I was working hard had anything I can immediately connect to any of the warnings.  I hardly touched the brakes on the long climb. I was got going fast: 20-25 mpg. Steering was not overworked. The coolant temp gauge showed normal. It was a long 1,500ft climb to about 3,000ft. Ambient temp in mid-80s. A/C was on.

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 04, 2020, 12:13:58 PM
I agree - nothing I was working hard had anything I can immediately connect to any of the warnings.  I hardly touched the brakes on the long climb. I was got going fast: 20-25 mpg. Steering was not overworked. The coolant temp gauge showed normal. It was a long 1,500ft climb to about 3,000ft. Ambient temp in mid-80s. A/C was on.

Was this a climb with switchbacks?  TCS systems frequently use the brakes (applying them selectively to wheels that slip).  If you were scaling tight switchback with decent throttle application, you may have been slipping the inside tire and the TCS was dragging a brake to keep it from spinning, which would overheat the brakes.

I've seen guys with VW GTIs and other vehicles that use "simulated", brake-based limited slip differentials (basically TCS that you can't shut off) smoke their front brakes to they point they had severe brake fade after a couple of 45 second auto-x runs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Morris Minor

Quote from: MX793 on July 04, 2020, 12:40:05 PM
Was this a climb with switchbacks?  TCS systems frequently use the brakes (applying them selectively to wheels that slip).  If you were scaling tight switchback with decent throttle application, you may have been slipping the inside tire and the TCS was dragging a brake to keep it from spinning, which would overheat the brakes.

I've seen guys with VW GTIs and other vehicles that use "simulated", brake-based limited slip differentials (basically TCS that you can't shut off) smoke their front brakes to they point they had severe brake fade after a couple of 45 second auto-x runs.
There was one switchback - about 5-min before the warnings came on. So it's possible. After the switchback we were more or less on the ridge, still climbing but more gentle & straighter roads - So maybe the heat soak took a while before triggering the cascade.

r0tor

POSer SUVs -sigh-
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Ridiculously overpriced, but still the epitome of roadster styling...AC is building new Cobras with battery power or Ford four-cylinders

Should be quite the bomb with a RS Ecoboost.

CaminoRacer

I rented an RZR 1000 in Moab like 2 weeks ago. Incredibly fun vehicle, but I wasn't a fan of the CVT. It would be amazing if I could swap in a Bolt motor/battery. Electric motors for off-roading would be perfect. And not obnoxiously loud.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

cawimmer430

Played chauffeur for my dad and drove him from Mühldorf am Inn to Regensburg in his new B200. This gave me the chance to also drive the car on the Autobahn for the first time. I had the car up to 200 km/h (125 mph) and was impressed with little 1.33-l engine: it's so quiet! No seriously, it's so quiet. The wind noises are also fairly low at this velocity, but the engine is just... you don't hear it at all.

Midrange speed is pretty good. It's not as explosive as in my A250, but it's good enough, definitely not underpowered. High-speed stability is good. The suspension in comfort mode is smooth, quiet and you're just wafting along. One thing I didn't like was that the standard (non-AMG) seats got a little "uncomfortable" after an hour and a half of driving. I don't have this problem with the awesome AMG seats in my car.

But the best is yet to come! What was really impressive was the fuel economy: 6.1 L / 100 km or 38.5 mpg - on a mix of 60% hilly state roads with medium traffic and 40% Autobahn (which were pretty much empty) and with the A/C on a cool and medium blower setting and Start-Stop activated. Absolutely mind-blowing fuel economy.

On the return journey it was really hot and my dad wanted to get home ASAP, so I deactivated the Start-Stop to keep the A/C air cold (when activated and at a stop the A/C blows air, but it's not cooled) and drove even faster on the Autobahn. Final fuel economy was 6.8 L / 100 km (34.5 mpg). Amazing.

So yeah, a great car for my dad. He really loves the great fuel economy he's getting and the lower running costs.  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Dad's B200 and my A250 AMG Line.  :wub:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

I can't tell which is which... :devil:

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 07, 2020, 12:15:06 PM
I can't tell which is which... :devil:

Are you looking at the basic platform? Because then there is no difference!  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Morris Minor

Now there are loose bits on the bottom of the CR-V dragging along the road - guessing the dealer didn't screw the undertray on tight after changing the oil (mid-May).
Sloppy.

MX793

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 07, 2020, 02:18:47 PM
Now there are loose bits on the bottom of the CR-V dragging along the road - guessing the dealer didn't screw the undertray on tight after changing the oil (mid-May).
Sloppy.

Is it possible the tray snagged an ABS sensor wire?  That would also explain the warning lights.
Needs more Jiggawatts

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 07, 2020, 02:18:47 PM
Sloppy.
Dump it and get an Escape. 

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

SJ_GTI

I'd put my money on a Model Y being in his future.

Morris Minor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 07, 2020, 05:27:49 PM
I'd put my money on a Model Y being in his future.
I'm tempted, but just paid a $32,000 tax bill, so feeling a bit gun shy. I'd intended this car to last 10 years, but no way is it a keeper.

Galaxy

I have always wanted to try one of those 1980s GM touchscreens.

http://youtu.be/pq2PSLdc8rA?t=189