The Official MX-5 Miata Thread

Started by Onslaught, September 09, 2010, 01:35:50 PM

Laconian

Nick, how many miles? Not km. You're using 'Murican units on your vee-hicle.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rich on July 05, 2019, 08:52:41 PM
Poor Will, I hosed him by not filling the car up before and the gas gauge isn't the most accurate :-/

Im happy it's like a day on Oprah, miatas for everyone.

Haha my mistake. It was way below E.

On the plus side I stopped in Augusta and spent some time with my best army friend, then stopped at Walmart in SC and randomly bumped into a friend there!!!! I wouldn't have seen either if I was just booking it home.

Now morning top down drive, here I come! 6hrs till home. To bad it's all interstate though...
Will

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on July 05, 2019, 10:38:26 PM
Nick, how many miles? Not km. You're using 'Murican units on your vee-hicle.

192,000 miles = 309,000 kms. I got a binder with all receipts going back to 1996, last timing belt and water pump change was in 2008 @ 144,677 miles. Last night ordered a new kit and brakes from Rock Auto. Honestly, the condition of this car with those miles would shock you, it's that pristine. Here's the best part... $1800 Canadian dollahs. I love sweet old people.  :lol: :dance:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on July 06, 2019, 07:14:49 AM
192,000 miles = 309,000 kms. I got a binder with all receipts going back to 1996, last timing belt and water pump change was in 2008 @ 144,677 miles. Last night ordered a new kit and brakes from Rock Auto. Honestly, the condition of this car with those miles would shock you, it's that pristine. Here's the best part... $1800 Canadian dollahs. I love sweet old people.  :lol: :dance:
Sounds like they did a good amount of Summer driving over the years.  Must've be hard for them to part with.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 06, 2019, 07:27:50 AM
Sounds like they did a good amount of Summer driving over the years.  Must've be hard for them to part with.

Averages out to 7680 miles a year.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on July 06, 2019, 09:58:45 AM
Averages out to 7680 miles a year.

Damn, that's pretty good. I haven't been putting that many miles on the S2000 the past couple years.

Payman

Just did 4 hours of washing, vacuuming, shampooing, detailing, and polishing. Fuck man, how does Giant do it every day? Pain in the arse on your own vehicle, never mind somebody else's. I'm sweating balls here.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on July 06, 2019, 10:01:34 AM
Just did 4 hours of washing, vacuuming, shampooing, detailing, and polishing. Fuck man, how does Giant do it every day? Pain in the arse on your own vehicle, never mind somebody else's. I'm sweating balls here.

Yeah it's physical work. I'm always particularly exhausted after waxing. I'm sure the car looks amazing though. :wub:

AutobahnSHO

Mine came pre spiffy. :)

Car is pretty loud at 80mph, in the morning I had the top down so when I put it up later (too much sun!) I realized I could hear the engine. So the wind was hitting me pretty loud lol.
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 06, 2019, 02:22:07 PM

Car is pretty loud at 80mph, in the morning I had the top down so when I put it up later (too much sun!) I realized I could hear the engine. So the wind was hitting me pretty loud lol.

Yes, keep earplugs in the car.

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 06, 2019, 02:22:07 PM

Check the oil next time you fill it up if you keep driving like that. :ohyeah:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on July 06, 2019, 02:38:18 PM
Yes, keep earplugs in the car.

I actually used my earbuds for awhile (not plugged in to anything), it helped, plus then I could turn up the music and feel it :thumbsup:
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 06, 2019, 05:07:28 PM
Check the oil next time you fill it up if you keep driving like that. :ohyeah:

Lol I'll keep an eye on it. Won't be doing much interstate anymore.. But the 45mph roads around here are way more fun.
Will

HurricaneSteve

Congrats to you both! May your MX-5's treat you well for years to come.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: HurricaneSteve on July 08, 2019, 02:33:46 PM
Congrats to you both! May your MX-5's treat you well for years to come.

Thanks!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Remember when you first got your license and you offered to give people rides or go to the store for mom? I totally look for reasons to go drive Scrappy.

Weather is great right now so top is always down unless it's parked (outside :( ) or raining.  Trunk fits 2 carryons just barely, so need to go on road trip!

Also the little bit of extras Rich put on make a huge difference- gave someone a ride yesterday and he commented it doesn't roll in the corners like his friends' car did- I realized he was totally right, Scrappy is totally planted, the stock NA I had in 2012 used to roll like a dog in a mud puddle.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on July 06, 2019, 10:01:34 AM

It's a lot easier when you've done it nine thousand times and have every step and process ingrained into your body and mind.

But yeah, it's still not easy work. People underestimate just how "physical" of a job it can really be.

Speed_Racer

My back and neck kill after detailing any one of mine, I couldn't imagine doing it every day. But I'm sure your body gets used to it. Do you just rock out to music or podcasts while you work?

giant_mtb

Quote from: Speed_Racer on September 09, 2019, 04:35:49 PM
My back and neck kill after detailing any one of mine, I couldn't imagine doing it every day. But I'm sure your body gets used to it. Do you just rock out to music or podcasts while you work?

Yep! Mostly podcasts. And sometimes audio books. Hardly ever music...I get bored listening to my personal library/playlists over and over, so I keep music (and new music discovery) as an outside-of-work thing.

AutobahnSHO

Scrappy got some TLC last weekend- took in for service. Sparkplugs, checked belts & pulleys, cleaned throttle body.  Surprisingly enough, runs a little better (used to stutter a bit on cold startups but was fine once it was warmed up).

Would like to tackle rust next. But soooo much fun to drive still. Top is down whenever it's not actually raining, but the other morning I had to turn the heater on. Time to keep some gloves & hat handy.
:thumbsup:
Will

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Oh btw even the hottest days this summer, wife and son always opted for top down when they were riding. Wife drove Scrappy a bit to make sure she could if needed, but doesn't want to shift in traffic. Daughter rode only one time, she has sensory overload and didn't care for it. But said it's like a gokart. :)
Will

AutobahnSHO

Overcast all day today but didn't rain- wife and I were out in Scrappy and when I started backing up had to stop for another car- a beatup blue NA with the top down also. Made us   :thumbsup:
Will

AutobahnSHO

I forgot to be ready to take a picture the other morning when Scrappy passed 156789 on the odometer. :sad:
Will

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 24, 2019, 07:38:13 PM
I forgot to be ready to take a picture the other morning when Scrappy passed 156789 on the odometer. :sad:

44,445 miles until 201,234

giant_mtb

CaminoRacer

I'm mad at myself that I didn't think ahead to reset the trip odometer in the Bolt so that when the odometer read 77,777 the trip odo would also read 777. I was off by like 4 miles by coincidence.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV