ALPHA.... I mean Alfa!!!!!

Started by r0tor, October 12, 2018, 05:19:56 PM

Galaxy

Is this replacing the RX8, or the Jeep?

r0tor

Quote from: Galaxy on October 13, 2018, 05:47:44 PM
Is this replacing the RX8, or the Jeep?

We dumped the wife's Focus and then she took the Jeep.

It was sort of a shame for the Focus as it only had 40k miles and looked like new yet... But it went through 3 DCT clutches (only under warranty for another year) and I had a strong suspicion that a ball joint was going.  So it was time to go event hough resale value was horrible.

The next gen JGC will be on the Giulia platform, so maybe in a couple years I can double down on alfa goodness  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 12, 2018, 06:55:53 PM
Definitely the best looking midsizer. Nice
YUP!!! If i was in the market I'd grab one in a heart beat! Congrats R0tor!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on October 13, 2018, 07:48:04 PM
YUP!!! If i was in the market I'd grab one in a heart beat! Congrats R0tor!!!

Get in the market!  Hurry!  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

Sweet!  Also a great spot for pics!  Wimmer would be proud.  Awesome.

Lebowski

Awesome car!  Your children can respect you again.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on October 14, 2018, 05:22:15 AM
Awesome car!  Your children can respect you again.

Don't worry, the kiddo loves it and is already asking if he gets it eventually

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on October 14, 2018, 07:36:51 AM

Don't worry, the kiddo loves it and is already asking if he gets it eventually

It won't be running by that time. :lol:

r0tor

Quote from: veeman on October 13, 2018, 08:30:44 PM
Sweet!  Also a great spot for pics!  Wimmer would be proud.  Awesome.

I can only hope for Herr wimmer's approval!

It's actually a church parking lot a mile or so from my house.  Just a perfect spot

cawimmer430

Wow congrats!!!  :cheers:

Looks sweet! White will make you stand out amongst the Alfa guys as by default most will probably go with red or black. Any interior pics?

And yes, sweet photos and car poses! Great spot for some shots!  :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

r0tor

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 14, 2018, 08:09:18 AM
Wow congrats!!!  :cheers:

Looks sweet! White will make you stand out amongst the Alfa guys as by default most will probably go with red or black. Any interior pics?

And yes, sweet photos and car poses! Great spot for some shots!  :rockon:

Quick cell phone interior shot

I love how they mix in modern tech into a more classic package with real hvac controls, gauges, and no tacked on the dash screens... Plus the steering wheel is just plain awesome

CALL_911

Beautiful tow truck waiting room

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

I'd rather push my Alfa then drive a CR-V

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on October 14, 2018, 07:17:40 PM

I'd rather push my Alfa then drive a CR-V

We know ... and now you will.

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

r0tor

Quote from: Lebowski on October 14, 2018, 07:31:07 PM

We know ... and now you will.

It's not like consumer reports ran a piece on exploding alfa engines like it did on the CRV -shrug-

Poor buyers

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on October 14, 2018, 07:41:38 PM
It's not like consumer reports ran a piece on exploding alfa engines like it did on the CRV -shrug-

Poor buyers
Well the Giulia is second to last of the cars its tested in this class

And predicted reliability is 1 out of 5

And pretty much every road test of the Giulia encountered some kind of problem

But we won't shit up your thread the way you've shat up others, at least not yet.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Jesus, guys, take it easy. It's a new car and an interesting one at that.

As to the car itself, I have questions that need to be answered:

1.) Is there an "individual" drive mode setting a la ze Germans where a driver can choose individual settings for steering, tranny, etc.?

2.) Does drive mode setting (individual/comfort/sport/race/whatever) keep its setting after restart (Q50 does not do this - it reverts to "normal" after restart and I found it to be a dealbreaker).

Soup DeVille

I'm pretty sure most- if not all- cars revert to normal after restarting for liability purposes. Its like two buttons- shouldn't be any sort of a dealbreaker.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Almost certain emissions are done in the default mode as well. Though my car will stay in normal or ECO mode after you turn it off.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 15, 2018, 04:38:01 AM
I'm pretty sure most- if not all- cars revert to normal after restarting for liability purposes. Its like two buttons- shouldn't be any sort of a dealbreaker.

I think it depends on the setting.  ESP/TCS thresholds seemingly always reset to default.  Other settings (ride firmness, steering effort, exhaust mode) may not.  I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure my steering effort setting will not reset when you restart the car (I like the default calibration best anyway).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on October 15, 2018, 06:09:35 AM
I think it depends on the setting.  ESP/TCS thresholds seemingly always reset to default.  Other settings (ride firmness, steering effort, exhaust mode) may not.  I'd have to double check, but I'm pretty sure my steering effort setting will not reset when you restart the car (I like the default calibration best anyway).

That makes sense.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

Damn good looking car, congrats!

Quote from: r0tor on October 13, 2018, 04:00:53 PM
Bought.... Good deal at the end of the year... around $9k off msrp

Sounds like a heckuva deal to boot.  :ohyeah:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 15, 2018, 04:38:01 AM

It was touched on by MX793, but on my Golf the Stability/Traction control is the only thing that reverts back to normal mode. All of my individual settings (suspension, engine noise, steering effort, etc...) stay at whatever they are set to, and even there there are three factory settings (comfort, normal, sport) and a fourth setting that allows you to individually set something like a dozen different things about the way the car drives/sounds.

Not every car comes with this type of package (DCC-Dynamic Chassis Control) though. It was an option on my car and is an option on several (but not all) VW/Audi vehicles.

r0tor

Alfa has the "DNA" selector switch which is a physical rotary knob which therefore doesn't change state when you start the car.

Dynamic increases the throttle response, transmission response, brakes (brake by wire), relaxes the dsc, and puts my car into the harder of the dynamic damper modes (which you can override).

Natural mode is just the normal mode.  Relaxes throttle, trans, brakes, etc.  Dampers go into the normal/softer setting.  It also seems to build boost slower and more progressive.

Advanced efficiency mode really makes the car into a snooze fest.  I only use it cruising on the highway.  One thing it does is puts the transmission in neutral anytime you are coasting.  It does make the adaptive cruise control work a bit more relaxed and less hyper.

The steering only has one mode... Awesome mode

r0tor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 14, 2018, 09:07:29 PM
Well the Giulia is second to last of the cars its tested in this class

And predicted reliability is 1 out of 5

And pretty much every road test of the Giulia encountered some kind of problem

But we won't shit up your thread the way you've shat up others, at least not yet.

There has only been 1 actual reliability study and it found in Europe that it was better then all the germans

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 15, 2018, 06:59:34 AM
It was touched on by MX793, but on my Golf the Stability/Traction control is the only thing that reverts back to normal mode. All of my individual settings (suspension, engine noise, steering effort, etc...) stay at whatever they are set to, and even there there are three factory settings (comfort, normal, sport) and a fourth setting that allows you to individually set something like a dozen different things about the way the car drives/sounds.

Not every car comes with this type of package (DCC-Dynamic Chassis Control) though. It was an option on my car and is an option on several (but not all) VW/Audi vehicles.

I have to admit, I've never gotten into the goofy stuff like "exhaust sound" control, and rarely done more than he general "sport" and "comfort" type settings.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 15, 2018, 07:39:30 AM
I have to admit, I've never gotten into the goofy stuff like "exhaust sound" control, and rarely done more than he general "sport" and "comfort" type settings.

I don't use it much either. I will put it in comfort if I am on a long trip but otherwise I tend to just leave it in sport.