Mercedes-AMG A45 S & CLA 45 S To Be Officially Unveiled

Started by cawimmer430, July 02, 2019, 08:38:14 AM

cawimmer430

Performance is mind-blowing on both cars. Strangely, I prefer the looks of the CLAS45 AMG over those of the A45S AMG. I think the A35 AMG looks better than the A45S AMG.

New Mercedes-AMG A 45 And CLA 45 Pack Supercar Performance In A Compact Body

Mercedes has finally pulled the covers off the new A45 and CLA45 AMG models at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

The new baby AMG models arrive with some seriously impressive figures that are set to redefine their class; both are powered by the turbocharged 2.0-liter M139 four-cylinder engine with up to 415hp (421PS), a 0-62mph (100km/h) in as little as 3.9 seconds and a headline-grabbing Drift mode.

As before, customers will get to choose between two versions; the basic 45 model, which offers 382hp (387PS) and 354lb-ft (480Nm) of torque, and the more powerful 45 S with its 415hp (421PS) and 368lb-ft of torque.

All models come fitted with the new eight-speed AMG Speedshift dual-clutch transmission and the fully variable Performance 4Matic+ all-wheel drive system. The basic A 45 model can achieve a 0-62mph (100km/h) in 4 seconds flat (CLA 45 in 4.1 sec) while the A 45 S requires just 3.9 seconds for the same procedure (CLA 45 S in 4.0 sec). Top speed for the basic 45 models is electronically capped at 155mph (250km/h), with the S variants able to go all the way up to 167mph (270km/h).

The bodyshell of the new AMG 45 models is reinforced to provide a stiffer basis for the suspension; AMG engineers have added a lightweight aluminum plate underneath the engine, which supplements the also new front tower brace. Additional reinforcing plates can be found between the side members and the A-pillars, while diagonal struts at the front and rear of the underbody make the shell even more rigid.

The highlight in the Performance 4Matic+ all-wheel drive is the inclusion of the new AMG Torque Control system, which is housed in the rear differential; the system uses two electronically controlled multidisc clutches, one for each rear drive shaft, controlling the amount of torque sent to each individual rear wheel with much greater precision.

The much advertised Drift mode is standard on S models and part of the optional AMG Dynamic Plus package for the standard models. As with the bigger AMG V8s, the new Drift mode can be engaged when the 'Race' driving mode is selected, the ESP is deactivated and the transmission is in manual mode.

The new AMG 45 powertrain comes with six driving modes: Comfort, Sport, Sport+, Slippery, Individual and Race. The latter is optional on standard models.

Sales of the new 2020 Mercedes-AMG A 45 and CLA 45 are expected to begin by the end of this year.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/new-mercedes-amg-a-45-and-cla-45-pack-supercar-performance-in-a-compact-body/

A45S AMG 4Matic

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYzo0TPnH0o

CLA45S AMG 4Matic

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9EEFj_nEus
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 04, 2019, 04:28:45 PM
It's got a funny looking nose :huh:.

The weaker A35 AMG looks visually better IMO. For some reason the '45 AMG treatment does not work so well for me on the A-Class. Looks great on the CLA, however.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

cawimmer430

Mercedes-AMG A45 S Beats Ford Mustang GT At Hockenheim GP

A compact hot hatch beating a muscle car on the track? Surely there must be some kind of sorcery (tuning) involved, right? Actually, there isn't, but then again, this is not your run-of-the-mill hot hatch, but the king of the segment, the 2020 Mercedes-AMG A45 S.

With a whopping 415 horsepower (421 PS / 310 kW) and 369 pound-feet (500 Nm) of torque produced by a 2.0-liter, turbo-four and delivered to the road by the 4Matic+ AWD system through an 8-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, the A45 S is an absolute beast in a straight line acceleration.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3awyUmFSsVM

From rest to 62 mph (0-100 km/h), it needs a neck-snapping 3.9 seconds, 0.3 seconds FASTER than the Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2 Spyder, and can max out at 270 km/h (168 mph).

Now, the amazing hatch from Stuttgart is very quick on the test track too, with SportAuto achieving a time of 2:00,70 at the Hockenheim GP. Professional driver Uwe Sener bravely raced it against the clock on the German circuit, beating some well-established vehicles.

According to FastestLaps, the A45 S was 0.2 seconds quicker than the Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S, and half a second faster than the V8-powered Ford Mustang GT. With the same driver behind the wheel, the Alpine A110 ran the course in 2:01.90 and the Volkswagen Golf GTI TCR in 2:03.60. Remember the Mercedes-Benz CLK 63 Black Series? It ran the course in 2:01.93, and the Audi R8 4.2 FSI in 2:00.65.

If speaking about the impressive achievement of Merc's hatchback doesn't get your heart racing, then perhaps seeing the video of the run from the cockpit will. So, without further ado, head on down and click the play button.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/mercedes-amg-a45-s-beats-ford-mustang-gt-at-hockenheim-gp/

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SJ_GTI

Its impressive no doubt, but back in the day Evo's and STI's could make the same claims with basically the same formula (small car + AWD + high strung turbo I4).

cawimmer430

Quote from: SJ_GTI on October 05, 2019, 07:11:35 AM
Its impressive no doubt, but back in the day Evo's and STI's could make the same claims with basically the same formula (small car + AWD + high strung turbo I4).

What's also really, really, really, impressive is the time of the Renault Megane RS Trophy underneath the A45S AMG considering it's a purely FWD car.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

Wow. More HP, less weight, two more driven wheels, thousands more dollars...I am SO impressed.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 05, 2019, 12:17:43 PM
Wow. More HP, less weight, two more driven wheels, thousands more dollars...I am SO impressed.
My sentiments exactly. I bet the Model 3 Performance is even faster... for less money ;)

Give me the Rustang please.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

giant_mtb

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 05, 2019, 07:20:20 PM
My sentiments exactly. I bet the Model 3 Performance is even faster... for less money ;)

Give me the Rustang please.

I'm more impressed by what the Mustang is faster than. Shit, you can get a Mustang GT for less than $30k that'll easily hang with a 911 Carrera?  Dope.

Laconian

C'mon, two liters making that many horses? That's impressive!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on October 05, 2019, 07:46:40 PM
C'mon, two liters making that many horses? That's impressive!

Not really. Tuners have been doing it for, dare I say, decades...? :lol: