BMW M8 Competition Hits 62 MPH In An Amazing 2.88 Seconds

Started by cawimmer430, October 09, 2019, 11:45:05 AM

cawimmer430

BMW M8 Competition Hits 62 MPH In An Amazing 2.88 Seconds

According to BMW, the range-topping M8 Competition Coupe can accelerate to 62 mph (100 km/h) in a stunning 3.2 seconds. Recent tests of the car indicate that it is even quicker than that.

While recently attending the media launch of the new BMW M8 at the Portimao circuit in southern Portugal, BMW Blog asked BMW Pro Driver Martin Tomczyk to perform two acceleration runs in an M8 Competition Coupe.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqxHY_Gy4Ko

As the video below shows, Tomczyk pinned the throttle in the first of two runs and was able to hit 62 mph in just 2.88 seconds, a figure usually reserved for the planet's most expensive and exclusive supercars. That's not all as the same car only needed 9.93 seconds to go from a standstill to 124 mph (200 km/h).

It's worth pointing out that these times were not recorded and verified by GPS and are likely a little quicker than the acceleration figures you'd see from a VBOX. Nevertheless, they are very impressive.

One of the key reasons why the M8 Competition Coupe is so accelerative is due to its twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 engine that delivers 617 hp and 553 lb-ft (750 Nm) of torque. Unlike most BMW M cars of yesteryear, the M8 family is sold exclusively with an advanced all-wheel drive system that provides phenomenal grip off the line and also aids in the car's ability to launch off the line so rapidly. In addition, the M8 Competition Coupe comes complete with a brutal launch control system.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/10/bmw-m8-competition-hits-62-mph-in-an-amazing-2-88-seconds/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Laconian

2.88s! I need to watch this on a computer with speakers.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on October 09, 2019, 12:39:53 PM
those gauges are a crime against huge manatee

Someone cheated their way through art school.

12,000 RPM

M cars should be about more than headline performance figures.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Xer0

This thing will be a prettier M5 with a nicer interior.  Having driven the M5 on track it will an insanely competent monster.  Still, give me an M850 and I'll be happy.

Laconian

I watched it with headphones and was not impressed with the audio. The engine sounds bored, even at 7k. Wurrr, rrrr, rrrr, *taps foot checks watch*

The tires on that car must be ungodly sticky.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on October 09, 2019, 02:21:24 PM
I watched it with headphones and was not impressed with the audio. The engine sounds bored, even at 7k. Wurrr, rrrr, rrrr, *taps foot checks watch*

The tires on that car must be ungodly sticky.

Sounds like a GT4 car with stock exhaust.

Laconian

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 09, 2019, 04:03:57 PM
You're saying it sounds like a vacuum cleaner?

But a nice one. A Dyson that is clogged up with dog hair.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger