ALPHA.... I mean Alfa!!!!!

Started by r0tor, October 12, 2018, 05:19:56 PM

12,000 RPM

Are you capable of disagreeing with somebody without insulting them and undermining their credibility, or are you seriously that insecure?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 15, 2018, 07:09:23 PM

https://www.ohlins.com/ohlins-unique-dual-flow-valve/

Is that the new lift-related dampers system that is standard on the new 3 Series? Said to be so good that BMW is not bothering with air suspension, and active sway control.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Galaxy on October 15, 2018, 09:39:39 PM

Is that the new lift-related dampers system that is standard on the new 3 Series? Said to be so good that BMW is not bothering with air suspension, and active sway control.
I don't know if it's the same tech; haven't seen anything that really explains it. But the end goal is the same... firm body control and supple impact absorption. Sounds like these shocks + the stiffer shell have enabled much stiffer springs on the M-Sport models which should be interesting.

I think BMW skipped air suspension and active sway control at least in part because they would add a lot of weight.

r0tor

I'm trying to decide if I should get winter tires/rims.  I'm confident in the awd, lsd, and decent tires to get through most storms... And I can take the jeep when things are extra shitty

I think I'm more worried about tire/wheel damage from potholes... Last year the road going to my work had potholes in the potholes and I'm not sure how the 19s will deal with that even if the suspension seems pretty supple.

Unfortunately the alfa has a different bolt pattern then the Mazda so I can't reuse the old winter wheels I still have in my basement from the rx8
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

On a car like that, I would get separate wheels/tires for winter.  If anything to, as you mention, keep the stock wheels clean and undamaged.  If you can afford to, I say go for it. 

17s or 18s with some thicker sidewalls would be nice for winter. 

12,000 RPM

Ground clearance will put you in the Jeep when shit gets real snow wise

But I'd def consider downgrading to 18s year round for the plump sidewalls to deal with the moonscape NE roads

r0tor

The wife will kill me with another set of wheels laying around  :lol:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

adapters and use the RX8 wheels?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Quote from: 68_427 on October 16, 2018, 05:27:29 PM
adapters and use the RX8 wheels?

I think 20mm thick 5x110 to 5x114.3 might work... I'd be bummed not seeing my alfa 5 hole rims though

Also not sure how to deal with wheel bolts instead of studs with spacers... Never had bolts before but I guess they make a low profile bolt for that :hmm:

r0tor

Ironically, the snow tires on the old rims are the correct size for Giulia... and they still have some tread :mask:

12,000 RPM

You should just be able to get ridiculously long bolts. Bolts make running spacers way easier.

I'd verify that the winter tires you have on hand have the right overall diameter. Though I'd wager if the RX-8 didn't work in the winter the Giulia won't be far behind

r0tor

The 8 and Giulia have the same 225 50R17 fitment for winter wheels.  The 8 I think had a +47 offset and Giulia +35 so a 20mm adapter is probably doable (in theory)

TPMS sensors would be an issue

giant_mtb

A nice piece of electrical tape over the TP dummy light is an easy fix. Don't forget your courtesy tab.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on October 16, 2018, 07:26:38 PM
The 8 and Giulia have the same 225 50R17 fitment for winter wheels.  The 8 I think had a +47 offset and Giulia +35 so a 20mm adapter is probably doable (in theory)

TPMS sensors would be an issue
I ran 20mm adapters on the OEM wheels of the G. Worked great. Still have em but they are 5x114.3 on both ends

It will def work and the extra 8mm will fill the wheel wells. Car will get a lot dirtier and saltier though

MrH

Might want to check to see if you car even uses TPMS sensors anymore.  My Accord does it by monitoring wheel speed in a straight line.  No sensors at all.  I think a lot of OEMs are going this way.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

12,000 RPM

Wonder how that works if you get an aftermarket setup that's bigger than normal. Does use the difference between left and right? Can these systems be recalibrated by the user? It's not out of reality for an aftermarket wheel/tire setup to be +1/2" different in diameter.

FoMoJo

What if all tires lose pressure at the same rate?  You'll be driving on flats and the car won't know.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

On ze A4, it could be calibrated.  Basically, you put the tires at the desired pressure and then zeroed out the monitor system.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 17, 2018, 10:08:46 AM
Did it have sensors?

No, not traditional TPMS sensors.  It just monitored rotations and if one tire was below some threshold and thus rotating however significantly differently than the rest, it would throw you a dummy light.  At least that's how I think it worked.  Only time I ever got chimed by it was when I got a flat going down the highway.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 17, 2018, 10:01:49 AM
Wonder how that works if you get an aftermarket setup that's bigger than normal. Does use the difference between left and right? Can these systems be recalibrated by the user? It's not out of reality for an aftermarket wheel/tire setup to be +1/2" different in diameter.

There's a zeroing procedure on all them that I know about.
Plus, its speed relative to the other wheels; as long as the wheels are the same size it shouldn't matter what speed it is.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on October 17, 2018, 10:08:46 AM
Did it have sensors?

wheelspeed sensors, but no air pressure sensors.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

r0tor

I have air pressure sensors.  I can display them too.

r0tor

First usage of hazard lights on the side of the road!!  :pullover:

Eh, not that exciting though.  I was forced to run over a branch which managed to come up under the car and lodge part of it between the driveshaft and chassis thus creating a horrific sound.

Did I mention that Giulia has a carbon fiber drive shaft!   :rockon:

Laconian

Branches on the road? Damn Italians! Fix It Again, Tony! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MexicoCityM3

I think whether or not a car has TPMS wheel sensors has something to do with regulations.

BMWs here sense tire failure by comparing rotational speed of the wheels using existing ABS sensors. You can tell the system to "learn" whatever wheels/tires you put on the car. It will trigger upon sensing a large enough shift in comparative speeds among wheels in a short enough span of time. The car will only tell you a tire failed. It won't even tell you which tire is it.

The GT4 has individual pressure sensors on each wheel that show up the exact PSI on the dash screen. Handy on track to monitor pressures.

AFAIK, US market bimmers also use individual pressure sensors.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

I've had so many finicky issues with TPMS sensors, I welcome this new method.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

I've only ever had an issue with 1 sensor on the jeep and none after 15 yesrs with the RX-8