GTPC 502

Started by Colin, April 04, 2012, 02:45:23 AM

Colin

J86

hotrodalex

Rupert

with flying buttresses!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Colin

A famous cathedral.

Among other things, renowned for its stunning and original stained glass windows. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Rupert

... Canterbury?

Is that a thing?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Colin

Not the right answer, or even the correct country, but yes, Canterbury Cathedral does exist and is famous.

Rupert

Notre Dame?

I don't know anything about religious buildings, other than those two and flying buttresses. :P

Colin

Not Notre Dame, no.

Laconian

Notre Dame de Chartres!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colin

Oui, monsieur.......... c'est bien la cathedrale de Chartres.

Chartres is about an hour or so south of Paris, a very agreeable old city, and the cathedral is high up, so visible from miles around. The stained glass windows are absolutely stunning.

giant_mtb

I wish we still built things like this.

Rupert

We do. See Disneyland. ;)

giant_mtb

Rupert

That style of architecture built today would just be super tacky.

giant_mtb

I suppose a few hundred years from now, they'll look at our buildings and go "whoah, how come they don't make shit like that anymore?!"  ...assuming some of our buildings actually last that long.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on April 09, 2012, 08:54:02 PM
We do. See Disneyland. ;)

Their castles are fiberglass over a steel framework.

hotrodalex

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 11, 2012, 10:09:17 AM
I suppose a few hundred years from now, they'll look at our buildings and go "whoah, how come they don't make shit like that anymore?!"  ...assuming some of our buildings actually last that long.

I'm not sure. Most new buildings are either nothing special or trying too hard. Kinda of like cars. Modern design just doesn't have the passion of the older stuff.

Rupert

Don't suggest that Gothic architecture isn't trying too hard.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on April 11, 2012, 07:37:45 PM
Don't suggest that Gothic architecture isn't trying too hard.

You have a point. :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: hotrodalex on April 11, 2012, 04:05:24 PM
I'm not sure. Most new buildings are either nothing special or trying too hard. Kinda of like cars. Modern design just doesn't have the passion of the older stuff.

And that's probably exactly what people in the days of epic cathedrals thought, too, which is my point... ;) :lol:

Colin

I believe they did, Chris............... CathedralSpin, the medieval version of CarSpin, would probably have been replete with comments criticising the latest design of some of these grandiose buildings! Now, of course, we think they are splendid................ does that mean that in 500 years time, people will like the Pontiac Aztek? Hmm,.......