Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: RomanChariot on June 02, 2020, 10:04:41 AM
She had to leave it overnight otherwise she wouldn't be able to accuse you of driving half-way across the country and back. I imagine she was hoping to get you to wave the cost of repairs and offer her a free tank of gas.

Exactly. Obviously she knows its been sitting in the parking lot all that time, so its all bullshit.

Besides, if a shop wanted to use a customer car for an impromptu road trip, I doubt they'd choose her shitewagon.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 02, 2020, 12:03:52 PM
Exactly. Obviously she knows its been sitting in the parking lot all that time, so its all bullshit.

Besides, if a shop wanted to use a customer car for an impromptu road trip, I doubt they'd choose her shitewagon.

Hell no, that thing is full of trash and wet towels. It smells like mold.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

About ten years ago, we had a lady that refused to pick up her 1995 T-bird after we serviced it. She swore it was a different car. When asked why she thought it was different, she said it was smaller than her car.
"Uh, ma'am, all 95 T-birds are uh....the same size..."    :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on June 02, 2020, 12:21:46 PM
About ten years ago, we had a lady that refused to pick up her 1995 T-bird after we serviced it. She swore it was a different car. When asked why she thought it was different, she said it was smaller than her car.

:wtf:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 02, 2020, 12:10:54 PM
Hell no, that thing is full of trash and wet towels. It smells like mold.

I almost wrote "I bet I can guess what it smells like from here" in my previous post.

Man, entitled bitches have a Type.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on June 02, 2020, 12:21:46 PM

I mean- what do you do?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 02, 2020, 02:08:26 PM
I almost wrote "I bet I can guess what it smells like from here" in my previous post.

Man, entitled bitches have a Type.

You're not kidding.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 02, 2020, 02:09:07 PM
I mean- what do you do?

Upgrayyed her to a Continental Mk. whatever

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 02, 2020, 02:54:37 PM
Upgrayyed her to a Continental Mk. whatever

I mean, I can imagine the conversation.

Are these your keys?

Yes.

Do they work on this car?

Yes, but you changed the ignition. and door locks. and trunk lock. and the glovebox lock.

We did? Is this your registration in the glove box? Is that your VIN? does it match the one stamped on the car?

Yes, but you forged that too.

We did?

Yes.

Why?

Ummmm....

Soup DeVille

And I just realized; he said it was a '95 TBird ten years ago.

How many 1995 Thunderbirds were even on the road in 2010? But somehow they swapped hers for one the exact same color, same year?

But slightly smaller?

Laconian

'95 T-birds. Man, my brain cramps thinking about the last time I saw a mid 90's Thunderbird.

I saw a New Edge Mercury Cougar while going for a jog a few days ago. I flipped out. You never see them anymore. Pieces of junk.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on June 02, 2020, 03:17:09 PM
'95 T-birds. Man, my brain cramps thinking about the last time I saw a mid 90's Thunderbird.

I see them occasionally here. :lol:  Must be the older money.

I saw a New Edge Mercury Cougar while going for a jog a few days ago. I flipped out. You never see them anymore. Pieces of junk.

I thought they were a'right looks wise.
Will

Soup DeVille

The only thing I remember about the New Edge Cougars is that for a short time, young dudes thought they were the shit; and then suddenly, as if overnight, they all disappeared.

They didn't even hang on as beaters driven by chain smoking single mothers wearing cookie monster pajamas like the Grand Ams did: they just vanished

giant_mtb

Haven't seen one in a while. A kid at my high school had one. I didn't think they were terrible, but Cougar was an odd name choice.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 03, 2020, 10:40:56 AM
Haven't seen one in a while. A kid at my high school had one. I didn't think they were terrible, but Cougar was an odd name choice.

The Cougar name had already been thoroughly abused by then anyways.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 03, 2020, 10:35:02 AM
The only thing I remember about the New Edge Cougars is that for a short time, young dudes thought they were the shit; and then suddenly, as if overnight, they all disappeared.

They didn't even hang on as beaters driven by chain smoking single mothers wearing cookie monster pajamas like the Grand Ams did: they just vanished
Pretty much a restyled Euro Mondeo, same as the Contour.  The I4 was a pretty humdrum engine but the 2.5 V6 Duratec was a great little engine original designed by Porsche, not sure why, and blessed by Cosworth.  Nice application of the New Edge design philosophy but a bit out of it's element in NA.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Removing the driveshaft from an E46 is stupid

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 03, 2020, 01:25:15 PM
Pretty much a restyled Euro Mondeo, same as the Contour.  The I4 was a pretty humdrum engine but the 2.5 V6 Duratec was a great little engine original designed by Porsche, not sure why, and blessed by Cosworth.  Nice application of the New Edge design philosophy but a bit out of it's element in NA.

The 2.5 Duratec was not exactly Durable from what I recall. SVT Contours lived brilliant but brief existences on Earth because of their engines.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2020, 03:19:17 PM
The 2.5 Duratec was not exactly Durable from what I recall. SVT Contours lived brilliant but brief existences on Earth because of their engines.
Most likely because of their drivers. :huh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Duratec_V6_engine

The Ford Duratec V6, also known as the Mondeo V6, is an aluminum DOHC V6 engine with a 60° bank angle introduced in 1993 with the Ford Mondeo. The primary engineering input came from Porsche[1], who was developing a similar V6 before selling the engineering to Ford, and Cosworth, who helped with cylinder head manufacturing.[2] The Jaguar AJ-V6 engine is similar but adds variable valve timing.

The Duratec 2.5L V6 DOHC 24 valve engine had 170 hp (127 kW) at 6,250 rpm and 165 lb⋅ft (224 N⋅m) of torque at 4250 rpm. Used in the third generation Ford Mondeo and last generation Mercury Cougar (1999-2002). The Displacement of the 2.5l VE was decreased from 2.5 to 2.5 L (2,544 to 2,495 cc). Compression ratio in the Cougar however was 9.7:1.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 04, 2020, 06:19:10 AM
Those had better be SnapOn tools

The needle nose pliers have grips that look verrrrry similar in style and color scheme to my Gardner Bender wire stripper/crimper pliers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 04, 2020, 08:48:27 AM
The needle nose pliers have grips that look verrrrry similar in style and color scheme to my Gardner Bender wire stripper/crimper pliers.

They look like my Wihas, and the crescent wrench looks like their industrial grade stuff.

Of they're good tools; it might not be far off.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 04, 2020, 11:41:11 AM
They look like my Wihas, and the crescent wrench looks like their industrial grade stuff.

Of they're good tools; it might not be far off.

Fair enough.

Eye of the Tiger

I now owe the SnapOn man a few hundred dollars. Toolz

AutobahnSHO

OK serious question-

I bought my 2" hitch receiver for Odyssey- we're moving this summer and I'll be towing Miata with it. (Uhaul dolly, car weighs ~2500lbs, van can tow 3500)

The van has pre-threaded holes for a hitch. The side above the exhaust was all rusty and couldn't get the bolts in. Couldn't find a tap at stores (12mm x 1.25) so sprayed wd40, used a rifle cleaning brush and cleaned up what I could, and drove the bolt in and brought it back out and cleaned it over and over. Bolt threads were ok and didn't look stretched at all. There are two bolts in the rear then another way up front (vehicle speaking).

I got the hitch in place and used red loctite and got 5 of six bolts in without too much problem, but the passenger side one way up front was being very stubborn and as I was grunting I felt the connect for the threads break and the bolt spins a little freely. It's still above the frame so no chance of it dropping through. There is about 1/4in gap between the block/hitch and the frame.

1- Will it be safe to use it this way? Impossible to remove that bolt without cutting it all out. No way to fix that threaded bolt hole.

2- If it's not totally safe, should I just have someone weld that mounting point? There is a block (goldish color- not aluminum?) then hitch receiver then big washer then bolt.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 05, 2020, 08:11:00 AM
OK serious question-

I bought my 2" hitch receiver for Odyssey- we're moving this summer and I'll be towing Miata with it. (Uhaul dolly, car weighs ~2500lbs, van can tow 3500)

The van has pre-threaded holes for a hitch. The side above the exhaust was all rusty and couldn't get the bolts in. Couldn't find a tap at stores (12mm x 1.25) so sprayed wd40, used a rifle cleaning brush and cleaned up what I could, and drove the bolt in and brought it back out and cleaned it over and over. Bolt threads were ok and didn't look stretched at all. There are two bolts in the rear then another way up front (vehicle speaking).

I got the hitch in place and used red loctite and got 5 of six bolts in without too much problem, but the passenger side one way up front was being very stubborn and as I was grunting I felt the connect for the threads break and the bolt spins a little freely. It's still above the frame so no chance of it dropping through. There is about 1/4in gap between the block/hitch and the frame.

1- Will it be safe to use it this way? Impossible to remove that bolt without cutting it all out. No way to fix that threaded bolt hole.

2- If it's not totally safe, should I just have someone weld that mounting point? There is a block (goldish color- not aluminum?) then hitch receiver then big washer then bolt.

The tongue weight is mostly pulling on the rear bolts. The shear shrength of the bolts is probably 100x the forces of towing. I've done more with less.
Honestly, I'd be more worried about the transmission. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 05, 2020, 09:32:48 AM
The tongue weight is mostly pulling on the rear bolts. The shear shrength of the bolts is probably 100x the forces of towing. I've done more with less.
Honestly, I'd be more worried about the transmission. :lol:

Thanks, yes we'll be careful with it. It's mostly flat drive all the way there and I know to keep O/D turned off. Biggest issue is that wife likes the van and thinks she should drive it (towing a car) and I should drive subaru. (She's never pulled a trailer before... :mask: )
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 05, 2020, 10:04:36 AM
Thanks, yes we'll be careful with it. It's mostly flat drive all the way there and I know to keep O/D turned off. Biggest issue is that wife likes the van and thinks she should drive it (towing a car) and I should drive subaru. (She's never pulled a trailer before... :mask: )

Umm, at least she doesn't have to worry about backing up. That's a no-go with a car dolly. :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 05, 2020, 10:58:59 AM
Umm, at least she doesn't have to worry about backing up. That's a no-go with a car dolly. :lol:

I don't like how she takes left turns already. She points left immediately then straightens out then has to turn left again and very often comes close to clipping the left curb (instead of a smooth gradual turn, and can't accelerate until after she's done turning because of that 2nd turn).   

I'm scared about this trailer possibility, but have to be nice to her too.
Will