Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

TBR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 27, 2020, 05:14:04 PM
You in the market for a 100 series?

It seems like an appealing solution to the Outback problem, which is basically that we need a second vehicle that is camping appropriate but the Outback is old, not worth enough to put money into, and not really powerful enough for the mountain passes out here (I mean it can do it, but it is either going to be in the [very] slow lane with the 18 wheelers or basically in 3rd gear with the pedal to the metal and the A/C off to keep up). Plus the manual is a major PIA in stop and go traffic in the mountains - which happens more often than one would hope.

Anyway, I don't want to buy something new or very new to replace it because it doesn't get driven very much at all so the depreciation would just be throwing money out the window. So, therefore, looking for something relatively cheapish to buy that will be cheap to own, have decent power for the mountain passes, have more cargo capacity than the Outback, and ideally be more offroad capable too. A 2006-7 Land Cruiser would seem to fit the bill (or if I can find a really good deal on an early 200 series... the LX's actually seem to be closer in price than you would think).

None of this is going to happen until next spring at the soonest.... we are building the carport this fall (and don't know how much it is going to cost yet), and there's not really a point in buying anything in the winter since we've given up skiing (after 3 trips) + this thing will be funded out of my December bonus.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TBR on July 27, 2020, 08:10:52 PM
It seems like an appealing solution to the Outback problem, which is basically that we need a second vehicle that is camping appropriate but the Outback is old, not worth enough to put money into, and not really powerful enough for the mountain passes out here (I mean it can do it, but it is either going to be in the [very] slow lane with the 18 wheelers or basically in 3rd gear with the pedal to the metal and the A/C off to keep up). Plus the manual is a major PIA in stop and go traffic in the mountains - which happens more often than one would hope.

Anyway, I don't want to buy something new or very new to replace it because it doesn't get driven very much at all so the depreciation would just be throwing money out the window. So, therefore, looking for something relatively cheapish to buy that will be cheap to own, have decent power for the mountain passes, have more cargo capacity than the Outback, and ideally be more offroad capable too. A 2006-7 Land Cruiser would seem to fit the bill (or if I can find a really good deal on an early 200 series... the LX's actually seem to be closer in price than you would think).

None of this is going to happen until next spring at the soonest.... we are building the carport this fall (and don't know how much it is going to cost yet), and there's not really a point in buying anything in the winter since we've given up skiing (after 3 trips) + this thing will be funded out of my December bonus.

Well, let's see.

The mileage is bad- 12-13 MPG is mot uncommon. Getting the '03+ with the five speed is worth it. Besides the slightly nicer trim, the LX has the adjustable height front suspension, which is sometimes problematic, and there were more LXs sold than LCs, so there's not much of a price difference- and sometimes nice LCs are harder to find.
Either will still feel very trucky, but that's to be expected I guess. Sometimes off-center bumps can set it up in a sideways bouncy motion that feels a little unglued, but I've never gotten into trouble with it.

Its a beast offroad and dead steady in stuff that would have my old Wrangler scrambling for traction.

Its not a great towint rig though, and that may have me selling it in the spring.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Maverick...Ford Maverick Debuting With 162 HP And May Get Manual, Insider Claims

The Maverick will debut with a four-door body. This person claims that the bed is around two feet shorter than a Ranger, "depending on configuration." For comparison, the Ranger with the SuperCrew body has a 61-inch cargo area and the SuperCab is 72.8 inches. If this insider's numbers are accurate then the rear of the new model would measure about 37 inches to 48.8 inches.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

veeman

Quote from: TBR on July 27, 2020, 08:10:52 PM

Nissan Armada.  Significantly cheaper than the Land Cruiser, big engine, big size, pretty reliable, good cargo capacity, and is more off road capable than an Outback (although not as capable as a Land Cruiser). 

There's a guy on an Infiniti forum who takes a bone stalk Infiniti QX80 (which is the same thing almost as the Nissan Amanda) on all these trails meant for off road vehicles.  It's a pretty capable SUV.

Gas mileage of course sucks but so does the Land Cruisers.

TBR

Quote from: veeman on July 28, 2020, 02:15:49 PM
Nissan Armada.  Significantly cheaper than the Land Cruiser, big engine, big size, pretty reliable, good cargo capacity, and is more off road capable than an Outback (although not as capable as a Land Cruiser). 

There's a guy on an Infiniti forum who takes a bone stalk Infiniti QX80 (which is the same thing almost as the Nissan Amanda) on all these trails meant for off road vehicles.  It's a pretty capable SUV.

Gas mileage of course sucks but so does the Land Cruisers.

Like-for-like, they are cheaper, and that's actually where this whole thing started, but they don't seem to hold up as well (while Land Cruisers are notoriously durable), at least not the Titan based first generations (and the QX56 / QX80 based second generations are out of range). So even though the same price Land Cruiser might be significantly older and have significantly more miles, it will be in better shape and seem to have more life left.

MX793

Quote from: TBR on July 28, 2020, 03:28:33 PM
Like-for-like, they are cheaper, and that's actually where this whole thing started, but they don't seem to hold up as well (while Land Cruisers are notoriously durable), at least not the Titan based first generations (and the QX56 / QX80 based second generations are out of range). So even though the same price Land Cruiser might be significantly older and have significantly more miles, it will be in better shape and seem to have more life left.

Gen2 QX is still Titan-based.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

Quote from: TBR on July 28, 2020, 03:28:33 PM

OK

What's your budget should you decide to replace your Outback?

MX793

Jim Hackett has "unexpectedly" retired as CEO at Ford.  I can only assume he was politely asked to leave.  He never really impressed me.  Just seemed like somebody who dropped a lot of buzz words without really understanding what they meant.  Hopefully the next guy does a better job.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

shp4man

Quote from: MX793 on August 05, 2020, 10:08:08 AM
Jim Hackett has "unexpectedly" retired as CEO at Ford.  I can only assume he was politely asked to leave.  He never really impressed me.  Just seemed like somebody who dropped a lot of buzz words without really understanding what they meant.  Hopefully the next guy does a better job.

i couldn't agree more. I was beginning to worry about Ford.

Laconian

Thank god. Will they bring cars back?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Jim Farley should do a better job of revitalizing Ford.  Though he comes from marketing, Toyota, he has moved up in Ford rather successfully over the last few years.  Mark Fields had been groomed for the job but it seems he couldn't quite hack it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 05, 2020, 11:35:58 AM
Jim Farley should do a better job of revitalizing Ford.  Though he comes from marketing, Toyota, he has moved up in Ford rather successfully over the last few years.  Mark Fields had been groomed for the job but it seems he couldn't quite hack it.

:internetry:

r0tor

Hackett was about as disasterous as was expected by most everyone
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

TBR

Quote from: veeman on July 28, 2020, 10:37:13 PM
OK

What's your budget should you decide to replace your Outback?

Probably $15-20k. Although with the bid we just got for a house project, next summer might not be practical at all.

cawimmer430

Helped my dad pick out some winter wheels for this B200. RIAL M12 in 18". This is what they'd look like on the car. Waiting for a good deal on the winter tires from a wheel/tire dealer. My dad wants Nokian or GoodYear tires.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Damn, just saw a frigging Jaguar XJ220!  :mask:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

"When overtaking cyclists in the city, please do so with a distance of 1.5 meters..."  :facepalm:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

Ford Racing has a tune for the Ecoboost Mustangs that doesn't void the warranty but bumps peak hp by 35 and torque by 76 ft lb. But I've heard it also flattens out the powerband everywhere else, and extends it past peak hp. Stock ecoboosts fall off after 5k rpm, but this tune supposedly boosts HP at 6k rpm by 100.

Basically, I want to buy a cheap used Ecoboost Mustang and get this tune. Add some nicer OEM wheels from a GT or something, and maybe an LSD. Perfect higher altitude daily driver.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 11, 2020, 02:19:48 PM
Ford Racing has a tune for the Ecoboost Mustangs that doesn't void the warranty but bumps peak hp by 35 and torque by 76 ft lb. But I've heard it also flattens out the powerband everywhere else, and extends it past peak hp. Stock ecoboosts fall off after 5k rpm, but this tune supposedly boosts HP at 6k rpm by 100.

Basically, I want to buy a cheap used Ecoboost Mustang and get this tune. Add some nicer OEM wheels from a GT or something, and maybe an LSD. Perfect higher altitude daily driver.

IIRC, all Mustangs have a limited slip as standard.

Interesting the tune extends the powerband so far out.  I thought a big reason for the high RPM drop-off was that the turbo was simply too small to keep up, so tunes mostly just add more low/mid power and top end requires a different turbo.
Needs more Jiggawatts

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on August 11, 2020, 02:46:56 PM

Interesting the tune extends the powerband so far out.  I thought a big reason for the high RPM drop-off was that the turbo was simply too small to keep up, so tunes mostly just add more low/mid power and top end requires a different turbo.

You're right, it looks like most come with Trac-Lok and the performance packages bump it to a Torsen LSD. Nice

For the 2015-2017 models these are the tune results:
- Peak gains of 25 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 70 lb-ft at 2200 rpm
- 40 horsepower and 60 lb-ft average gain from 2500-5000 rpm
- 75 horsepower and 64 lb-ft average gain from 5500-6800 rpm
- 100 horsepower maximum gain at 6000 rpm

r0tor

Quote from: MX793 on August 11, 2020, 02:46:56 PM

High rpms gains on a tune from a small turbo car usually comes from more aggressive timing.  If you can get more greedy with timing as the boost falls off - as long as you are willing to use premium fuel anyway.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on August 12, 2020, 05:01:59 PM
High rpms gains on a tune from a small turbo car usually comes from more aggressive timing.  If you can get more greedy with timing as the boost falls off - as long as you are willing to use premium fuel anyway.

100 hp takes more than timing adjustment.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on August 12, 2020, 05:20:18 PM
100 hp takes more than timing adjustment.

Correct. I only gained 87 hp in Fiesta by changing the springs in the distributoure.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Speed Demon did 481 mph on the salt flats today (exit speed) for a 470 mph flying mile. Inching closer to 500 mph. Fastest piston powered car on earth.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 13, 2020, 12:00:46 PM
Speed Demon did 481 mph on the salt flats today (exit speed) for a 470 mph flying mile. Inching closer to 500 mph. Fastest piston powered car on earth.

insane
Will

dazzleman

Does anybody have any thoughts about the Jaguar XE or XF?  I was talking to a guy who has the XE and he was raving about it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on August 17, 2020, 06:55:54 PM
Does anybody have any thoughts about the Jaguar XE or XF?  I was talking to a guy who has the XE and he was raving about it.
They are great looking cars and initially got good reviews.  The XF is a different class than the XE and, with the optional V6, would be a bomb to drive.  Jaguar is defined by elegance, and the XF would be a fitting car for you.  Of course, there are many other options including a couple from Alfa Romeo.

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 17, 2020, 07:28:51 PM
Of course, there are many other options including a couple from Alfa Romeo.

I'd go with a Giulia if I got a sport sedan. The stories I've read about it say it's as dialed in and engaging as a Miata - but much more comfortable, and hell of a lot faster. :rockon:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

So I've been thinking, infotainment systems age like dogs. So you may buy a perfectly nice three-year-old off-lease CPO vehicle; the car itself is fine but, in terms of development, usability & relevance, its infotainment system is now like an old 2G cell phone.  Base models are more desirable: they don't put up the barriers that frustrate buyers' access to their smartphones.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤