Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

giant_mtb

Maybe the first thing she tows in her life shouldn't be an exposed vehicle extending 12' off the back off a minivan...

CaminoRacer

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 05, 2020, 11:27:59 AM
Maybe the first thing she tows in her life shouldn't be an exposed vehicle extending 12' off the back off a minivan...

First thing I towed was my El Camino on an open Uhaul car trailer, with a 20' Uhaul truck. Through the Rockies along I-70 in Colorado at night and a bit of snow.

No sweat. (seriously, it wasn't bad at all)
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 05, 2020, 11:16:43 AM
I don't like how she takes left turns already. She points left immediately then straightens out then has to turn left again and very often comes close to clipping the left curb (instead of a smooth gradual turn, and can't accelerate until after she's done turning because of that 2nd turn).   

I'm scared about this trailer possibility, but have to be nice to her too.

Rent the dolly a day early and go out for some practice.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 05, 2020, 11:16:43 AM
I don't like how she takes left turns already. She points left immediately then straightens out then has to turn left again and very often comes close to clipping the left curb (instead of a smooth gradual turn, and can't accelerate until after she's done turning because of that 2nd turn).   

I'm scared about this trailer possibility, but have to be nice to her too.
I can relate to that. :lol:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 05, 2020, 11:43:40 AM
First thing I towed was my El Camino on an open Uhaul car trailer, with a 20' Uhaul truck. Through the Rockies along I-70 in Colorado at night and a bit of snow.

No sweat. (seriously, it wasn't bad at all)

Sure, but you are a skilled, aware driver.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Morris Minor

My son pulled a heavy trailer with all his stuff from Groton, CT to San Diego CA., via Atlanta GA. Honda Pilot. He had the hitch fitted. The trailer was two-wheel, enclosed box, with all the weight on the tongue. So headlights pointing at the sky.
I told him to get a transmission cooler fitted.
No it'll be fine dad.
He made it all the way.
But the transmission blew shortly afterwards: following an unanticipated move of his station to Hawaii.
Where it cost a fortune to get replaced.

Don't spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

Soup DeVille

I've never liked the way cars on dollies towed. How much more for an actual trailer?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 06, 2020, 09:58:28 AM
I've never liked the way cars on dollies towed. How much more for an actual trailer?

I imagine actual trailer would put the total at or over the 3500# towing capcity.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 06, 2020, 10:10:53 AM
I imagine actual trailer would put the total at or over the 3500# towing capcity.

That's true.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 06, 2020, 10:10:53 AM

Yes, those trailers weigh like 2k lbs themselves. :confused:

I don't like the dollies either but we'll see. Last night we were talking about going down there to look at houses in a week or two. We'd drive two cars, leave one on base or at friend's house, drive one back- leaving only 2 to drive down there when we actually move. I kinda prefer that actually- because as noted, transmissions don't like lots of towing.....

Then the dilemma which car to drive down and leave? Probably Scrappy, as we could pack more stuff during the move into Impreza & Odyssey....  But then I would miss Scrappy for a month or more.  :cry:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 06, 2020, 11:47:07 AM
Yes, those trailers weigh like 2k lbs themselves. :confused:

I don't like the dollies either but we'll see. Last night we were talking about going down there to look at houses in a week or two. We'd drive two cars, leave one on base or at friend's house, drive one back- leaving only 2 to drive down there when we actually move. I kinda prefer that actually- because as noted, transmissions don't like lots of towing.....

Then the dilemma which car to drive down and leave? Probably Scrappy, as we could pack more stuff during the move into Impreza & Odyssey....  But then I would miss Scrappy for a month or more.  :cry:

You can park scrappy at my shop and there will be a turbo kit installed when you pick it up. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

I can't get this 72 VW timed for shit. I think the dipstick who rebuilt the engine put the distributor keyway in 180 off.

Eye of the Tiger

Dual mass flywheels can go to hell.

Eye of the Tiger

Dear people with beige carpeted floor mats,

Go away.

Sincerely,

Your Mechanic

Eye of the Tiger

Got a Ford 1.6 Eeekoboost towed in, engine won't start.
They just had a new water pump installed.
I look at it, see that the timing belt is loose.
Quote them to replace the timing belt and tensioner.
When I get it apart, I find the intake cam had seized.
Now they want to junk the whole thing.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 24, 2020, 11:12:28 AM

It's all your fault. What, X-ray eyes not working today?    :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on June 24, 2020, 12:17:47 PM

It's all your fault. What, X-ray eyes not working today?    :lol:

They were actually polite with me, but they were raging at my service advisor. They were on a road trip and stuck out of town. Not our fault, sorry.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 24, 2020, 11:12:28 AM
So is it toast or can it be fixed? 
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 24, 2020, 02:30:40 PM
So is it toast or can it be fixed? 

Probably not worth it.

AutobahnSHO

engine swap is cheaper than a new car though isnt' it?
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on June 24, 2020, 04:03:49 PM
engine swap is cheaper than a new car though isnt' it?

Eh, even a with a used engine, the total bill will be near $3K.

Eye of the Tiger

Put a new, used transaxle in a Mazdersped3. It doesn't have 2nd. So much fail this week.

AutobahnSHO

Start youtubing how to install the trailer light kit I have for 2012 Odyssey. I have a wire-splicing kit already from previous Odyssey I never installed. (wanted to see where all the clips and fasteners are to pull trim).

Turns out the 2011+ Odysseys have a fuse panel left rear that you can just plug an adapter into for all the lights, install a couple extra fuses, and BINGO!

Ordered.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

AC machine broke.
Every job today is an AC job.
FML

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 01, 2020, 12:07:27 PM
AC machine broke.
Every job today is an AC job.
FML

Can't you just suck like siphoning gas??.....
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 01, 2020, 08:35:58 PM
Can't you just suck like siphoning gas??.....

I can do it the old fashioned way. Don't tell the EPA. :lol:
Nah, the big boss showed up later with a brand new machine. :rockon:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 02, 2020, 08:23:56 AM
the big boss showed up later with a brand new machine. :rockon:

Niiiice!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Daughter (14) helped me plug in the cool trailer light harness to Puma. Had to take apart 2 trim panels, plug in a few mini fuses and put 2sided tape to keep the adapter on the trim.

When not in use the wiring harness is just rolled up in the compartment in the back of the van. When towing is needed, just drop it out the liftgate (careful to keep the fire harness flat to not mess up the seal too much).
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 03, 2020, 07:10:53 AM
Daughter (14) helped me plug in the cool trailer light harness to Puma. Had to take apart 2 trim panels, plug in a few mini fuses and put 2sided tape to keep the adapter on the trim.

When not in use the wiring harness is just rolled up in the compartment in the back of the van. When towing is needed, just drop it out the liftgate (careful to keep the fire harness flat to not mess up the seal too much).

Puma?

Oh, van. I was thinking Ford Puma. :lol: