First Drive: 2019 Porsche Taycan

Started by cawimmer430, September 25, 2019, 03:23:58 PM

cawimmer430

Is The Taycan A True Porsche? Yes, Indeed – And Then Some

The all-electric Porsche Taycan was recently unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show and, after the media launch, the first video reviews of the car have started to be come in.

Porsche has so far only introduced the Taycan in Turbo and Turbo S guises, with the car tested by Autocar being the range-topping S version. So, has the first all-electric Porsche been worth the long wait?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XgxLxOFWOw

Like all other high-performance electric vehicles on the market, the Taycan Turbo S is quick. In fact, Porsche says it will launch off the line and hit 62 mph (100 km/h) in a mere 2.8 seconds, which puts it on par with some of the industry's leading supercars. Allowing the car to achieve such blistering acceleration are a pair of electric motors that deliver up to 750 hp and 774 lb-ft (1050 Nm) of torque when the Overboost function is enabled.

The Taycan isn't just fast when it comes to acceleration, as it is also rather speedy when it comes to charging. The company claims the 93.4 kWh lithium-ion battery pack can be juiced up to 80 per cent capacity in as little as 22.5 minutes thanks to its 800-volt architecture.

Many were concerned that the Taycan would spell the end of Porsche as we know it. That's doesn't appear to be the case, as the reviewer notes it is as much of a Porsche as the Cayenne and Panamera, plus it handles better than both. The answer, then, is that instead of spelling the end, the Taycan heralds the beginning of a new era for the German automaker; and that era looks bright.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/09/is-the-taycan-a-true-porsche-yes-indeed-and-then-some/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

It's quite a cool car.  Charging at home with a 240 volt ac charger still takes 11 hours.  The 22.5 min charge time is only at a special supercharging station, not many of which currently exist. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: veeman on September 25, 2019, 08:13:54 PM
It's quite a cool car.  Charging at home with a 240 volt ac charger still takes 11 hours.  The 22.5 min charge time is only at a special supercharging station, not many of which currently exist. 

How often do you use the whole range and not park for 11 hours overnight?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

veeman

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 25, 2019, 08:28:58 PM
How often do you use the whole range and not park for 11 hours overnight?

I can't afford that car so it doesn't matter.  Most people who can would probably park overnight in their multi-car garage at their chateau and charge it at home.

My point being that everywhere Porsche has advertised this car, they have touted the 22.5 minute charge time without also indicating that this full charge time can only be achieved at select few public stations.  The carscoops article originally posted states:

"The Taycan isn't just fast when it comes to acceleration, as it is also rather speedy when it comes to charging. The company claims the 93.4 kWh lithium-ion battery pack can be juiced up to 80 per cent capacity in as little as 22.5 minutes thanks to its 800-volt architecture." 

Yeah that's true.  At a select few public charge stations.  It's not false advertising.  All companies do this.  I just felt it needed to be pointed out because it's not readily obvious from the article or other Porsche advertisements. 

Galaxy

It has been clear for years that the Taycan requires a more powerful kind of charger, so I am not sure what the issue is. They are not really that infrequent though. Electrify America has 2000 250kW chargers.

veeman

Quote from: Galaxy on September 26, 2019, 11:25:05 AM
It has been clear for years that the Taycan requires a more powerful kind of charger, so I am not sure what the issue is. They are not really that infrequent though. Electrify America has 2000 250kW chargers.

There's no issue.  I commented that the 22.5 full charge time can only be done at a select few chargers and can't be done at home.  Evidently saying this is a problem :huh: 

In the U.S. I believe those chargers are currently few.  I think Porsche has promised 600 of them nationwide by the end of 2020 or something like that.

cawimmer430

Meanwhile in Germany the wrong chargers are being built with a laughable 22 kW. I can see charging congestion becoming a serious problem thanks to this.

What's wrong with only building rapid chargers? Nobody wants to wait hours for their EV to charge, especially those that have to drive a lot. I understand the overnight-at-home-charging aspect, but some people have to drive longer distances and depend on longer ranges and quick charging times.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

veeman

My cousin from Toronto was over my house for a few days a few weeks ago.  He likes fancy cars and currently has a Porsche Panamera.  He was talking about the Taycan and how he's thinking about putting a deposit on one.  I was goading him on telling him what a cool car the Taycan is, how he should definitely get it, and how it's much better than a Model S (although they're not really competitors).  Somewhere in the conversation he said that it also charges super fast.  That's where I say, whoah dude, you do know that out in your suburb of Toronto, you're mostly going to be charging at home and it won't charge at home any faster than any other electric car.  He didn't know that.  Before he bought it, he would have realized that for sure but, right now, while he was thinking about it and super excited about the product, he didn't realize that.  He'll still get it I think.  Hope he does.  It's a really cool car. 

cawimmer430

For me the fast-charging aspect is one of the keys to the success of EVs. If long range is not possible, then at least offer fast charging. If fast charging is not possible, then offer long range.

That recent Mercedes-Benz Vision EQS concept has a range of 700 km (on paper, I assume) and supposedly can be charged to 80% battery capacity in less than 20 minutes providing you can find a 350 kW charger.

So why are 350 kW chargers not a thing? Again the slow-charging-at-home part is ok, but when you're out and about I doubt you'd want to wait long for your ride to charge. Imagine if fuel pumps at gas stations were slow and it took you like 20 minutes to refill your car to 80% of the fuel tank capacity. MADNESS! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

I want a real lectric car. None of this hokey bullshit. Bolt is close, but it's not a brown manual diesel wagon.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 26, 2019, 03:49:51 PM
Meanwhile in Germany the wrong chargers are being built with a laughable 22 kW.

22kW is the maximum you can generally get on a residential connection. The public ones usually have more.

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 26, 2019, 04:49:04 PM

So why are 350 kW chargers not a thing?

So far there is only one car that supports 350kW. The Taycan. They are being built all over the place, almost every Autobahn rest area has an Ionity station. The ones built so far are from the Swiss company ABB, going forward they are switching to the Australian company Tritium.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on September 26, 2019, 05:23:14 PM
22kW is the maximum you can generally get on a residential connection. The public ones usually have more.

Are you sure? Welt.de recently reported that quite a few public chargers were slow chargers.

Quote from: Galaxy on September 26, 2019, 05:23:14 PMSo far there is only one car that supports 350kW. The Taycan. They are being built all over the place, almost every Autobahn rest area has an Ionity station. The ones built so far are from the Swiss company ABB, going forward they are switching to the Australian company Tritium.

For me fast-charging is necessary for an EV to start appealing to me, especially for lengthy drives. I can live with the slow-overnight-charging, but for lengthy trips, which I do undertake, fast-charging is a must.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

22kW at the mains (are these chargers rated for their draw or their output?) at 230v is close to 90 amps, which is a pretty good draw for a residential area.

350 KW chargers would require their own 400-500 KVAR transformer, similar to what a decent sized restaurant might use.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

The Supercharger station I was using was running at 70kW. I think it would've done more had there not been other cars charging at the same time.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Most free public chargers are Level 2 chargers (~20 kw) and take 8-9 hours to fully charge a 200+ mile range EV. Pretty much all Level 3 chargers cost money to use (unless you bought a Tesla and get free supercharging for however long) and should only be used for roadtrips/similar. The different chargers belong in different areas. Level 2 is perfect for your home or work, where you're going to leave the vehicle parked for a long time anyway. Level 3 should really only be used for quick fill ups along highway routes. An ideal infrastructure would be a mix of both levels.

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 28, 2019, 06:21:43 PM
22kW at the mains (are these chargers rated for their draw or their output?) at 230v is close to 90 amps, which is a pretty good draw for a residential area.

350 KW chargers would require their own 400-500 KVAR transformer, similar to what a decent sized restaurant might use.

Germany uses 3 phase power for residential power. You have 400V between 2 phases, or 230V between a phase and ground. You could go over 22kW, however the utility needs to specifically approve that, plus most houses do not have the required wiring.

cawimmer430

It's really, really, really, really, really fast from 0 to 260 km/h. But totally emotionless for me - no ICE sound.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUeyRnqq49o

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

I think you'd be experiencing a lot of emotions if you were in the car during that acceleration run.

CaminoRacer

Rollercoasters are still thrill rides even though there's no engine noise.

Laconian

OK, I watched it with a decent set of speakers. Sounds great! Woooooooooooooooooooooooooop

AutobahnSHO

Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 05, 2019, 09:12:44 PM
"Turbo" is just wrong on EVs.

+1 Porsche is off the deep end with that. It's the new 340i M xdrive King Dick Ranch

Galaxy

I am intrigued by the Taycan Star Wars cross marketing. The Tie fighter sound may still happen!

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Galaxy on October 05, 2019, 11:39:32 PM
I am intrigued by the Taycan Star Wars cross marketing. The Tie fighter sound may still happen!

I saw a Star Wars Nissan Rogue the other day. Had a badge on the side and the bumper said "Star Wars" right under the tailgate. So tacky. Nothing else about the car is Star Wars-y.

Galaxy

I would assume Porsche will do a better job.

CaminoRacer

I hope so! Laser gun attachments and tie fighter noises would be enough

Laconian

Quote from: Galaxy on October 05, 2019, 11:39:32 PM

I don't know about that! A TIE fighter sound from the perspective of the cockpit (sans Doppler shifting) would be pretty grating!

Galaxy

Quote from: Laconian on October 06, 2019, 12:02:41 AM
I don't know about that! A TIE fighter sound from the perspective of the cockpit (sans Doppler shifting) would be pretty grating!

That is actually a valid point.

Well, they could add fake Doppler to the fake turbo badge.

Laconian

Each time you pass a car, it does a gratifying shift. Reeeeeee

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550