Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

I put a new (used) transmission in a 4WD Trailblazer today. I think it's a 4L60E or something. The old transmission was just slipping. The new transmission won't engage any gear except for park. LOL. I'll get paid to do it again, but FML these trucks are a PITA to work on. They'd rather gamble on a used transmission and pay me to do it again than pay for a new/rebuilt transmission.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

shp4man

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on October 14, 2016, 04:39:59 PM
LOL.  :lol:

Trailblazers are nothing to laugh at. GM spent millions of dollars making this shit.

Eye of the Tiger

Just under 1 hour to remove the Trailblazer transmission the second time. It took damn near 3 hours the first time, between the rust and the fact that it's a Trailblazer.

Eye of the Tiger

Put in another used transmission. Also bad. LoLlOLOlOLOLooLOLOlOllLOLOoLOLOllerstakes. :(

giant_mtb

That's really unfortunate. :(

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 15, 2016, 07:06:58 PM
That's really unfortunate. :(

It is unfortunate that I have to do the same work iver, and over again. But, I get paid the same per job, and my efficiency increases with each repetition.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 15, 2016, 07:18:02 PM
It is unfortunate that I have to do the same work iver, and over again. But, I get paid the same per job, and my efficiency increases with each repitition.

I suppose. Is this coming out of the customer's pocket?  Are they pissed? lolz

MrH

My friend did the same thing with an E46 3 series. I think he went through two engines and 3 or 4 transmissions. He could do a swap in an evening after work no problem.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 15, 2016, 07:21:24 PM
I suppose. Is this coming out of the customer's pocket?  Are they pissed? lolz

Oh, let me explain my job. I work on wholesale cars. No "customers" to deal with. A few car dealers buy cars at auction and dump them on my boss, hoping he can fix them so they can either reauction them for a higher price, or ship them to a network of various dealerships. They want stuff fixed as cheaply as possible, so they will always opt for used engines and transmissions. It's a gamble. Junktards may say it ran before they pulled it, or that they tested it. Fat chance. LOL.

My boss generally gives me all the engine and transmission swaps, while he does everything else. I do other stuff while I'm waiting on parts or whatever. Today I also fixed a skip in a LeSabre's 3800 by replacing a coilpack, and soldered a new oil pressure gauge motor onto the instrument cluster board of a Chebby truck.

giant_mtb

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on October 15, 2016, 09:54:44 PM
A The Sword.

It's a French car. I don't speak French. Give me a brake.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rupert

OK, but after this you have to get your own homonyms.

Eye of the Tiger

Nice grates. Great tanks.

Eye of the Tiger

Trailblazer runs. This is what happened.
Both transmissions that I installed had destroyed the front pump drive gears. The first one was definitely bad before I put it in. The second one may have destroyed itself when I first cranked the engine after the install.
Chevy builds these things such that the torque converter can fall out just far enough that it will not fully engage the pump, destroying it as soon as the engine is started. Yet, you can still bolt it completely to the engine and flexplate. Stupid design.

In order to solve this, I had to remove the transmission AGAIN, and swap the front pump out of another 4L60E.  PITA

Eye of the Tiger

They buy these things in bunches. The next Trailblazer had a nice rattling coming from the timing chain area. Guess what, it needs a timing chain, gears, guides and tensioners.

Removing the front timing cover requires dropping the oil pan. Since it's a 4WD Trailbizzard, the front axle runs through the oil pan. Great fun.

what a mess

change your oil once in a while

2o6

Why are they putting money into that POS? Is this a Buy Here Pay Here lot?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on October 18, 2016, 03:49:21 PM
Why are they putting money into that POS? Is this a Buy Here Pay Here lot?

This shop serves multiple used car dealerships. They get these things at auction for practically nothing. Many of them are repos. Apparently, Trailblubbers sell for stupid prices at dealerships.

giant_mtb

I loved my TBlaze.  Super smooth, quiet, plenty of juice. 

The girl who bought it lives a few blocks away. Still truckin.  Gets parked outside all the time and she's like 18 so it never gets washed so the tiny rust spots have morphed into normal sized rust spots, but it still moves.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 18, 2016, 03:57:58 PM
I loved my TBlaze.  Super smooth, quiet, plenty of juice. 

The girl who bought it lives a few blocks away. Still truckin.  Gets parked outside all the time and she's like 18 so it never gets washed so the tiny rust spots have morphed into normal sized rust spots, but it still moves.

I thought you had a Monte Carlo and a Bravvy, then a Toyoter. Oh, and Outie.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 18, 2016, 03:59:26 PM
I thought you had a Monte Carlo and a Bravvy, then a Toyoter.

Monte, Bravvy, A4, wintered an Exploder, then wintered tBlaze cause Exploder exploded, sold both TBlaze and Audi, bought Yoter. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 18, 2016, 04:03:16 PM
Monte, Bravvy, A4, wintered an Exploder, then wintered tBlaze cause Exploder exploded, sold both TBlaze and Audi, bought Yoter.

You should winter a Miata. Put huge snow tires on, lock the rear diff

save Yoter fir summer

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 18, 2016, 04:05:09 PM
You should winter a Miata. Put huge snow tires on, lock the rear diff

save Yoter fir summer

Currently trying to save Yoter from its wheel bearings.  Dropped it off Sunday night but haven't heard a word from the shop. 

Makes me wish TRACKER still breathed. But it's basically a pile of broken parts and rust. Brakes are so powerful, it squeezes the fluid right out. 

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 18, 2016, 03:55:01 PM
This shop serves multiple used car dealerships. They get these things at auction for practically nothing. Many of them are repos. Apparently, Trailblubbers sell for stupid prices at dealerships.

Free market capitalism!  :ohyeah: