Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 27, 2016, 12:52:30 PM
It's ridiculous to me that something that would overheat that quickly is always bathed in a tub of highly flammable liquid.

The gas is the coolant. 0_0
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rupert on October 30, 2016, 11:53:21 AM

What was wrong with cam actuated mechanical pumps? Nothing, I say.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 30, 2016, 12:28:35 PM
What was wrong with cam actuated mechanical pumps? Nothing, I say.

Low pressure and potential for vapor-locking, to name a couple  :tounge:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 30, 2016, 12:52:17 PM

Be patient. The fuel will arrive shortly.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 30, 2016, 12:52:17 PM

Old diesels had mechanical pumps for ages, and they delivered more pressure than any normal electric pump. Vapor locking is the result of dead-headed non return plumbing, nothing to do with how the pump is driven.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 30, 2016, 11:53:21 AM

Everything about the system makes me cringe; but since cars aren't detonating themselves all over the place, I must be wrong.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 31, 2016, 06:09:30 AM
Old diesels had mechanical pumps for ages, and they delivered more pressure than any normal electric pump. Vapor locking is the result of dead-headed non return plumbing, nothing to do with how the pump is driven.

Well if the pump is connected to the engine there's gonna be a big chunk of non-pressurized line that can vaporize. Unless the gas tank is super close

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 31, 2016, 06:44:33 AM
Well if the pump is connected to the engine there's gonna be a big chunk of non-pressurized line that can vaporize. Unless the gas tank is super close

The diesel pumps probably had enough lift and flow for that not to be a concern.

Eye of the Tiger

I was working on a Jeep 4.0 that sounded like a diesel. I changed the lifters, which did not fix the problem. Maybe I should check and see if it has a diesel fuel pump.

Eye of the Tiger

Swapping a good motor out of a wrecked G35, and putting it in a G35 with a rod knock. I hate working on Nissans.

sparkplug

I've heard you mechanics love Dodge Intrepids
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Eye of the Tiger

sparkplug

Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Eye of the Tiger

Ford week.
Replaced a 4wd Escape transaxle yesturday.
Today is a Grande Markies transmission.

Eye of the Tiger

Ford week continued. Replace transmission in a F-150. The old transmission was engaging multiple gears at once, resulting in quite a difficult time driving it around the yard and into the bay.

Which brings me to a simple question: how can you tell when a transmission is overheated?

Yes, the torque converter turns blue. :lol:

68_427

Nick if you get a SVX in please steal the exhaust manifolds off for me.  Those fuckers are impossible to find.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on November 10, 2016, 10:04:35 PM
Nick if you get a SVX in please steal the exhaust manifolds off for me.  Those fuckers are impossible to find.

Yeah, sure. These guys aren't going to bid on some old ass Scubaroo. They want to make money money money.

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 11, 2016, 04:26:15 AM
Yeah, sure. These guys aren't going to bid on some old ass Scubaroo. They want to make money money money.

I'll buy one with a blown tranny from you then
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on November 11, 2016, 05:24:32 AM
I'll buy one with a blown tranny from you then

I can get the manifolds off a 5.4L Ford. Is that close?

Eye of the Tiger

Today is rusty Acura MDX day. What happens when the transmission cooler fails and mixes with engine coolant? Strawberry milkshakes for everybody!

Eye of the Tiger

It took seven flushes to clean out that MDX cooling system and transmission. Rusty junk.
Now I get to work on an '06 MB S550 with a misfire on #8. Oil fouled.  Came back quickly with a new plug. Worn out junk.

Eye of the Tiger

And now I find out the transmission is stuck in 1st or 2nd gear. It must have someting to do with that P0798.

Eye of the Tiger

It was a Chevy week. Put a camshaft in a Silverado. Put an engine in a Tahoe. Put an engine in another Silverado. Did some other things, probably to Chevys.

This is what a fucked up camshaft lobe looks like:

and the corresponding lifter

The only apparent problem with this engine was a slight misfire at idle - something most people would assume is a bad spark plug. Lucky for me, it wasn't that simple. $Texas.

giant_mtb

Nice.  You enjoying your work?  Seems like you're a can-do-it-all mechanic.  Good skillz.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 09, 2016, 07:04:31 PM
It was a Chevy week. Put a camshaft in a Silverado. Put an engine in a Tahoe. Put an engine in another Silverado. Did some other things, probably to Chevys.

The only apparent problem with this engine was a slight misfire at idle - something most people would assume is a bad spark plug. Lucky for me, it wasn't that simple. $Texas.
Pushrods :banghead:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 09, 2016, 07:10:03 PM
Nice.  You enjoying your work?  Seems like you're a can-do-it-all mechanic.  Good skillz.

This could be the best job I've ever had, in a multifaceted sort of way. I'm just happy at work, and it pays enough. I actually look forward to going go work on Monday. That is unheard of.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh yeah, so I got this Camry in with an "exhaust leak". So I put it.on the lift, and was presented with this masterpiece of crackhead engineering:

So, yeah, I had to order an entire cat-back exhaust system. :facepalm:

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 09, 2016, 07:04:31 PM

How'd that happen to a roller cam?