Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 07, 2020, 05:20:27 PM
Are they told up front that they've got to pay for the diagnosis?

Yeah. But apparently this lady was no very good at speak English.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

shp4man

It's $150 at my job. And if you don't pay, no keys/no car/have a nice day.  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 07, 2020, 08:44:37 PM
It's $150 at my job. And if you don't pay, no keys/no car/have a nice day.  :lol:

Yeah, well, dealership+Califurnia.
$50 is the normal diag rate at any indie shop around these parts.

Eye of the Tiger

I need to get moar tool storage/flat table space. I have my two-box chest and a tool cart.
I just got an open 3-shelf cart, but I am eyeballing this thing at Harbor Freight:

shp4man

No $20,000 Snap On account?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 08, 2020, 12:22:52 PM
No $20,000 Snap On account?

I am not even going on that truck.

I mean, I might buy a ratchet handle someday, because damn that ratcheting action is fine. But no.

Eye of the Tiger

Drilling out a cross-threaded, frozen lug nut on a 3500 diesel. How many labor hours should I charge? I've alreadt spent 2. Plus installing a new stud, and sharpening the drill bits. Fuck.

Eye of the Tiger

Brake inspection on a nice, late model SUV.
Two car seats in the back.
Front pads metal to metal, caliper about to blow out.
Customer declines repairs, "just wanted an estimate"
Fuck.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 10, 2020, 08:44:11 AM
Fuck.

Fucking hell.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Well they'll figure it out next time when the estimate is 3x more because they need to replace the rotors and maybe the calipers too.

I've learned that lesson before. I tend to wait way too long to do brakes on my Mazda and always end up needing new rotors.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 10, 2020, 10:01:21 AM
Well they'll figure it out next time when the estimate is 3x more because they need to replace the rotors and maybe the calipers too.

I've learned that lesson before. I tend to wait way too long to do brakes on my Mazda and always end up needing new rotors.

They already need rotors.
When the brakes completely fail, they'll need new everything.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 10, 2020, 08:44:11 AM
Fuck.
Did they pay for the estimate?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 10, 2020, 11:37:23 AM
Did they pay for the estimate?

I don't think a brake inspection gets the $50 diag fee, since it's just visual.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 10, 2020, 10:01:21 AM

I don't care about that; but complete brake failure is another story.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Many shops charge a fee for brake inspection that will apply to the repair if they buy it. That's because there is some liability involved.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 10, 2020, 01:26:04 PM
Many shops charge a fee for brake inspection that will apply to the repair if they buy it. That's because there is some liability involved.

Half of our business is tires and oil. Visual brake inspections are free with those services. And, the tire/oil guys are paid  hourly, not flat rate. But this was just a brake inspection, and nothing else. I guess this customer just wanted to waste my time.

shp4man

My latest job is a Uhaul 2019 Transit 250 van. It was rented with a fake ID and taken down to Mexico where they cut of the catalytic converters (they're worth about $60 in scrap), then proceeded to load it up with illegal immigrants and make a run across the border. Where they were caught.  ;) Damn, some of the shit fucking people do...just makes you want to  :facepalm:

:lol: :muffin:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 11, 2020, 05:27:17 PM
My latest job is a Uhaul 2019 Transit 250 van. It was rented with a fake ID and taken down to Mexico where they cut of the catalytic converters (they're worth about $60 in scrap), then proceeded to load it up with illegal immigrants and make a run across the border. Where they were caught.  ;) Damn, some of the shit fucking people do...just makes you want to  :facepalm:

:lol: :muffin:

Niiiice :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Speaking of cats, Subie has CEL.

Mechanic said run a can of BG44K in the fuel and clear the code and see what happens. THen replace the o2 sensors and run another can and clear the code and see what happens. Then cat time.

Youtubez says put a torch on the o2 sensor to test it.

Model 2005 Car has only 90k miles on it LOL and we put a used motor in it in 2016....   January had to replace coilpack, plugs and wires for misfires. :(    We didn't drive it very long like that- could it have burned out the cat that quickly?
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 12, 2020, 03:56:43 PM
Speaking of cats, Subie has CEL.

Mechanic said run a can of BG44K in the fuel and clear the code and see what happens. THen replace the o2 sensors and run another can and clear the code and see what happens. Then cat time.

Youtubez says put a torch on the o2 sensor to test it.

Model 2005 Car has only 90k miles on it LOL and we put a used motor in it in 2016....   January had to replace coilpack, plugs and wires for misfires. :(    We didn't drive it very long like that- could it have burned out the cat that quickly?

What is the code, P0420?

AutobahnSHO

Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 12, 2020, 06:53:30 PM
yessir

You probably didn't kill the cats that quickly, but they may be loaded up with hydromacarbonization that has been unable to ... catalyze.

I don't know anything about BG44K, but I have used another additive to clean cats. Mr Gasket's Cataclean. It's about $20-ish at most parts stores. Follow the directions on the bottle. You basically add it to a near-empty tank of gas, and then give it the old "Italian tune up".

shp4man

Older Toyota's are famous for setting a P0420 on and off. Sometimes they'll stay good for a while, then it comes back. Subie? don't know.
Raw fuel and coolant can take down a cat pretty fast.

Eye of the Tiger

Needed a 40+ amp relay for a pair of radiator fans on a Kia. Parts stores are like LOoooL, we no can get. Even the universal ones are only 30 amps.
I say, give me a starter solenoid for an '86 Ford.
Boom, a universal relay good for 200 amps.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 19, 2020, 11:41:06 AM
Needed a 40+ amp relay for a pair of radiator fans on a Kia. Parts stores are like LOoooL, we no can get. Even the universal ones are only 30 amps.
I say, give me a starter solenoid for an '86 Ford.
Boom, a universal relay good for 200 amps.

You can also use two relays side by side.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 19, 2020, 11:42:47 AM
You can also use two relays side by side.

Ford solenoid was cheaper :lol:

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

shp4man

You ever removed the battery tray on a 15 Cherokee? Holy shit, the imbecilic idiot, piss poor excuse for an engineer that designed that garbage should be tied to a telephone pole and shot.  :muffin: ;)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 31, 2020, 11:24:38 AM
You ever removed the battery tray on a 15 Cherokee? Holy shit, the imbecilic idiot, piss poor excuse for an engineer that designed that garbage should be tied to a telephone pole and shot.  :muffin: ;)

Is that the one with the bolts underneath that you can't even get to, at all?

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 31, 2020, 12:47:00 PM
Is that the one with the bolts underneath that you can't even get to, at all?

That's it. Big PIA.