Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on March 31, 2020, 01:21:00 PM
That's it. Big PIA.

Been there. Got the bolts out. Didn't put them back in. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

RomanChariot

I normally change the oil in all of my cars myself and my recent experiences have reinforced that I should stay that course.

Example 1: I recently bought a Honda Pilot. The previous owner last had the oil changed at a local tire store. When it came time for me to change the oil I found that the aluminum oil plug bolt was cross-threaded. Luckily, I was able to get it out without further damage and I replaced the bolt.

Example 2: Last year my Suburban was having some bad misfire issues that I didn't have time to track down and the weather was miserable so I took it to a local shop. They fixed the issues and also replaced the oil at the same time. This week I changed the oil and the oil plug bolt was way over tightened. I almost had to get out a breaker bar to loosen it. I then went to take off the filter and, you guessed it, it was stuck. I can get most filters off by hand. This one is in a bad location so I put an end cap filter wrench on it. It took so much force on the end cap that the filter housing started to deform before it finally broke free.

I understand that oil changes are relegated to the lowest level grunt in the shop and I remember being a teenager and over tightening every bolt, but it sure made 2 oil changes a lot harder than they needed to be.

giant_mtb

One time the dealership put the oil filter on my A4 so tight that I resorted to poking through it with a long screwdriver so I could get leverage.

Eye of the Tiger

I just did a crap ton of work to a 4th gen Prelude. It had an H23 and 5-speed. Pretty fun to drive once I was done with it. But damn, I can hardly get in and out of it.

Eye of the Tiger

Did a bunch of brakes n crap to an Owwwdie A7.  What a pain. Everything takes twice as long as it should, because Deutschland.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 06, 2020, 07:04:55 PM
Did a bunch of brakes n crap to an Owwwdie A7.  What a pain. Everything takes twice as long as it should, because Deutschland.

Did you have the external torx sockets required? :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 06, 2020, 07:08:11 PM
Did you have the external torx sockets required? :lol:

I actually do have many torx things.
What I didn't have was a scanner that could retract the rear calipers. So I had to remove the electric motors. And then I didn't have a caliper tool to fit the random 3-notch piston, so I had to use channel locks and a C clamp. It was a fucking 2-hour pain that paid 1 hour of labor. Fuck that.

Soup DeVille

I have decided there is some really weird metallurgy going on with Landcruisers.

Every bolt I touch is either perfect, or completely and utterly hopeless when it comes to rust. Sometimes the nuts are rusted completely gone, but the stud or bolt they're attached to looks like it came from the factory yesterday.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 08, 2020, 09:26:03 PM
I have decided there is some really weird metallurgy going on with Landcruisers.

Every bolt I touch is either perfect, or completely and utterly hopeless when it comes to rust. Sometimes the nuts are rusted completely gone, but the stud or bolt they're attached to looks like it came from the factory yesterday.

The Japanese build vehicles differently than we do. The Miata was built in Hiroshima, you can tell by the type of fasteners they used and the way parts are finished. Even the wiring harnesses are different.

Eye of the Tiger

I just put a new turbo on a 1.4L Cruze because the oil feed line clogged up with sludge. Change ur oil!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 08, 2020, 09:26:03 PM

I put new front axles on one, and I was impressed with how it wad built. Of course, it wasn't from the rust belt.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 09, 2020, 02:59:29 PM
I put new front axles on one, and I was impressed with how it wad built. Of course, it wasn't from the rust belt.

On a 100 series?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 09, 2020, 05:31:15 PM
On a 100 series?

I want to say 2002-ish. Very well built suspension.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 09, 2020, 05:32:14 PM
I want to say 2002-ish. Very well built suspension.

Yeah, that's the one. I can see why they have the reputation they do, but the rust thing is weird.

Eye of the Tiger

So, this happened today

I was under an F150 with my huge 1/2" ratchet on the belt tensioner. It slipped off and banged me in the head.  : :drool:

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 10, 2020, 01:47:02 PM
So, this happened today

I was under an F150 with my huge 1/2" ratchet on the belt tensioner. It slipped off and banged me in the head.  : :drool:

I hate shit like that. Modern cars are so tight, it's an occupational hazard.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on April 11, 2020, 04:46:52 PM
I hate shit like that. Modern cars are so tight, it's an occupational hazard.

I demand hazard pay!
My head is substantially less lumpy today. I think there is no significant brain damage. But yesterday, the goose egg was huge, and I was a bit woozy.

MrH

Look at those luscious locks!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

RomanChariot

That looks painful. Kind of looks like something I would do.

Eye of the Tiger

I did it. I went on the Snap On truck. I bought tools, and got a free T+shirt!

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 17, 2020, 05:20:38 PM
Do they sell helmets?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 17, 2020, 05:20:38 PM

Whenever my mechanic friend gets some new Mac or SnapOn swag, he says "yeah, this is a $1,200 t-shirt/hat/bottle opener/whatever."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on April 18, 2020, 08:33:55 AM
Whenever my mechanic friend gets some new Mac or SnapOn swag, he says "yeah, this is a $1,200 t-shirt/hat/bottle opener/whatever."

:lol:

I spent about $130. The tool guy sems to think he will get more out of me once I see how sweet Snap On tools are.
I do want a good, long handle 1/4" drive ratchet. Those double pawls are so buttery smooth ...

Eye of the Tiger

So someone comes in for an oil change. Not my department, but the oil/tire tech is swamped, and I'm waiting on parts. So I take the oil change.

Customer knocks on the window when I pull his truck in.
Stares at me the whole fucking time.
It's got a skid plate that I have to take off.
And then we didn't have the oil filter in stock.
And it took 7.5 qts, so I had to make two trips to the oil tank on the opposite side of the shop with my 5 liter oil bottle.

Customer gives me service advisor hell because it's been AN HOUR (and he was a walk-in).
Then says that I only have two speeds: slow, and fucking slower.

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 27, 2020, 12:07:17 PM
So someone comes in for an oil change. Not my department, but the oil/tire tech is swamped, and I'm waiting on parts. So I take the oil change.

Customer knocks on the window when I pull his truck in.
Stares at me the whole fucking time.
It's got a skid plate that I have to take off.
And then we didn't have the oil filter in stock.
And it took 7.5 qts, so I had to make two trips to the oil tank on the opposite side of the shop with my 5 liter oil bottle.

Customer gives me service advisor hell because it's been AN HOUR (and he was a walk-in).
Then says that I only have two speeds: slow, and fucking slower.

And goddammit, you left greasy fingerprints on it!!!!   I WANT A FREE OIL CHANGE!!!     :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on April 27, 2020, 12:09:10 PM
And goddammit, you left greasy fingerprints on it!!!!   I WANT A FREE OIL CHANGE!!!     :lol:

That is exactly what I don't do. I actually clean up after myself, and am just as meticulous with an oil change as anything else. And so I am "slow". Not to mention my bum knee and generally fucked legs.

Eye of the Tiger

On the flip side, I did a timing belt job for a guy who very OCD, and also liked to watch. But he was so impressed with my work that he slipped me some extra under the table.

shp4man

We had some dude in a heavily accessorized F150 Raptor wannabe that mounted some shitty front lower brush guard that made access to the oil filter almost impossible. It took a 3 foot extension, a wobbly and on of those spider leg grabber things to get it off.  :lol:
Did the fucked up service writer DARE try to charge him more labor? Oh, hell, no.  ;)

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 27, 2020, 12:15:40 PM
On the flip side, I did a timing belt job for a guy who very OCD, and also liked to watch. But he was so impressed with my work that he slipped me some extra under the table.

I got a tip one time. It was just for recharging an A/C. $20.  :huh: