Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 11, 2020, 02:04:35 PM
DONG!

Perhaps not the best tool for the job; but you're the professional.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 11, 2020, 02:02:16 PM
Dong the valve cover gaskets on a Land Rover LR4, 5.0 Ford V8.

4-hours later, and I'm ready to start unbolting one valve cover.

HAHAHA It took me lots of work to do the valve cover gaskets on Sandy (03 Odyssey), about 1/3 getting to the covers, 1/3 replacing the gaskets, 1/3 of the time to put it all back together.
Will

SJ_GTI

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 11, 2020, 03:31:32 PM
Did you have a nap? :huh:

Clearly not, it just takes a lot of time to DONG things. Donging ain't easy.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm still working on this Land Rover. Waiting on a special tool. May or may not be a dong.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 14, 2020, 06:51:20 AM
Clearly not, it just takes a lot of time to DONG things. Donging ain't easy.

Alas, 'tis necessary
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

2000 F250. V10 gas engine. 170,000 miles. Written up as "Stalls, Runs Rough". It has a P1000 and a P0171. Fuel trims sometimes above +30, sometimes normal. Misfiring, Mass Air Flow voltage wacky, no idle speed control.
Replace MAF, plugs, IAC. Is it fixed?.....no.
This engine has a two piece intake manifold with silicone seals between the parts. Cold, they leak like a sieve. Warm, they stop leaking. Remove and reseal intake manifold. A pain in the ass...fixed.....I hope it stays fixed. The Bill?  A cool $2500. Cheaper than a new truck, I guess.
Generally, the older and junkier, odds are greater that something else will fail, customer will scream, and I'll have to do something for free.
Would you like to be an Auto Technician?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on December 15, 2020, 04:40:48 PM
2000 F250. V10 gas engine. 170,000 miles. Written up as "Stalls, Runs Rough". It has a P1000 and a P0171. Fuel trims sometimes above +30, sometimes normal. Misfiring, Mass Air Flow voltage wacky, no idle speed control.
Replace MAF, plugs, IAC. Is it fixed?.....no.
This engine has a two piece intake manifold with silicone seals between the parts. Cold, they leak like a sieve. Warm, they stop leaking. Remove and reseal intake manifold. A pain in the ass...fixed.....I hope it stays fixed. The Bill?  A cool $2500. Cheaper than a new truck, I guess.
Generally, the older and junkier, odds are greater that something else will fail, customer will scream, and I'll have to do something for free.
Would you like to be an Auto Technician?

Those V10s are shit. Basically a 5.4 with more cylinders.
Still, I wonder if a couple of turbos would transform it from a boat anchor, to a faster boat anchor.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm afraid that my service writer is going to quit because the company is screwing him on his pay. This would suck.

r0tor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 17, 2020, 08:03:11 PM
I'm afraid that my service writer is going to quit because the company is screwing him on his pay. This would suck.

I hate when services are read-only
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Still working on the Land Rover.
We are losing money now since we had to get a rental car for the customer. Negative profit on this job.

Eye of the Tiger

Finished the Rover today. Customer is happy. So am I.
Ugh.
Now I have two Chevys in my bays. Back to normal.

AutobahnSHO

The oil filter in Scrappy is in a retarded hard to get to place.

Changed oil in Odyssey also, not bad there.

Took a stupid amount of time to use my wimpy little bottle jack and jackstands in the garage to do 2 oil changes.....
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 18, 2021, 12:45:22 PM
The oil filter in Scrappy is in a retarded hard to get to place.

Changed oil in Odyssey also, not bad there.

Took a stupid amount of time to use my wimpy little bottle jack and jackstands in the garage to do 2 oil changes.....
Hydraulic floor jacks are pretty cheap these days.  Save a lot of effort.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 18, 2021, 01:08:26 PM

Ramps are even more easier, though.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 18, 2021, 01:45:55 PM
Ramps are even more easier, though.

I dislike ramps with manual transmissions. At least with the El Camino it's difficult to be precise enough to roll all the way up the ramp but not go too far. The Miata is probably much easier.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 18, 2021, 01:08:26 PM

Yeah I totally need one!
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 18, 2021, 06:31:48 PM
Yeah I totally need one!

Harbor freight has good floor jacks. They've had some issues with their jack stands but the floor jacks are good.

(I have harbor freight jack stands from 2013 that work great, but they had to recall a bunch of ones made since then)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 18, 2021, 07:12:12 PM
Harbor freight has good floor jacks. They've had some issues with their jack stands but the floor jacks are good.

(I have harbor freight jack stands from 2013 that work great, but they had to recall a bunch of ones made since then)

Our shop uses a 3ton Harbor Freight floor jack. Only had to top off the fluid once in a year of daily use.

r0tor

Name what I need to fix...

Wife came home said the Jeep steering wheel was vibrating on the highway and it smells.  I go out and I smell burning - seems to be brakes I smell.  Worst smell seems to be the driver's side front.  Wheel feels hot.  Shit, stuck caliper I presume.

Start it up and check to see if the brakes are dragging.  Nope.  Take it for a spin.  Nothing wrong.  Beat the piss out of the brakes - nothing odd.  Take it for a highway trip - nothing.

WTF.  I've had a stuck caliper on the Jeep before and it was obviously stuck.  I had a bad brake line on one of her cars that would collapse and cause the brakes to drag.  Obvious issue.  I've never had a brake situation where it seems to have fixed itself.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on January 25, 2021, 03:10:00 PM

Wife came home said the Jeep steering wheel was vibrating on the highway and it smells.  I go out and I smell burning - seems to be brakes I smell.  Worst smell seems to be the driver's side front.  Wheel feels hot.  Shit, stuck caliper I presume.

Start it up and check to see if the brakes are dragging.  Nope.  Take it for a spin.  Nothing wrong.  Beat the piss out of the brakes - nothing odd.  Take it for a highway trip - nothing.

WTF.  I've had a stuck caliper on the Jeep before and it was obviously stuck.  I had a bad brake line on one of her cars that would collapse and cause the brakes to drag.  Obvious issue.  I've never had a brake situation where it seems to have fixed itself.

Sometimes calipers and/or hoses can start working again. It's a PITA to diag, but you already figured out which one it is. I'd just replace the hose and the caliper at the same time.

r0tor

But it's the middle of winter  :rage:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: r0tor on January 25, 2021, 06:40:52 PM
But it's the middle of winter  :rage:

Pinch the hose off with some vice grips and deal with 3 brakes.

r0tor

Quote from: r0tor on January 25, 2021, 03:10:00 PM

So a little update.  Looked at the brakes, relined the slide pins, nothing seemed weird.  Drove it around and no issues.

Right now I took it on the highway to get some food and after about 10 minutes of highway driving the wheel started to shimmy and I pulled over at the next exit and I smelled burning again... Never hit the brakes while on the highway.  Went to the store, came out and it's driving fine.

Bad wheel bearing maybe???

shp4man

Quote from: r0tor on February 03, 2021, 02:42:17 PM
So a little update.  Looked at the brakes, relined the slide pins, nothing seemed weird.  Drove it around and no issues.

Right now I took it on the highway to get some food and after about 10 minutes of highway driving the wheel started to shimmy and I pulled over at the next exit and I smelled burning again... Never hit the brakes while on the highway.  Went to the store, came out and it's driving fine.

Sitting at a stop with a very slight incline, will the vehicle roll in neutral? How many miles on it?

CaminoRacer

Does the behavior change when you touch the brake pedal?

r0tor

Quote from: shp4man on February 03, 2021, 02:52:05 PM
Sitting at a stop with a very slight incline, will the vehicle roll in neutral? How many miles on it?

Rolls, but while whatever is hot it rolls a little harder

shp4man

Quote from: r0tor on February 03, 2021, 04:03:27 PM
Rolls, but while whatever is hot it rolls a little harder

Brake fluid issue? Just a guess. Sometimes contaminated brake fluid expands when hot and causes that sort of thing. Buy a container of the recommended type and one of those turkey baster suction things. Change the fluid, run it, change it again. The shit takes off paint so be careful.

r0tor

I did a brake fluid flush a year or two ago

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on February 03, 2021, 02:42:17 PM

Did you have the wheel off the ground?  Could you wobble it?

It would seem that badly worn bearings might put the brake calipers at a slight angle from the disc.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."