Audi V8 Quattro

Started by Eye of the Tiger, November 11, 2007, 11:10:20 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 12, 2007, 10:01:35 PM
What are the pro's to buying this car over say, a Q45 or STS or something else that depreciates like a rock but has better parts availability? Must you have AWD?

The pro is that the Audi is freaking awesome, and I freaking love it. :lol:
I also don't like STS's, and I've never even considered a Q45.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Vinsanity

well there's the end of that argument :devil:

good luck with your Audi ;)

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on November 12, 2007, 09:59:51 PM
I need to find out if the seller has found the record of the previous timing belt change. I have a feeling it's overdue, anyway. That's an instant $700+ I'll be putting into it.

Is it an interference engine?
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

TheIntrepid

Quote from: The Pirate on November 12, 2007, 10:06:33 PM

Yes, in that it's interfered with his ownership of the almighty 'st33m.

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 12, 2007, 10:05:22 PM
well there's the end of that argument :devil:

good luck with your Audi ;)

It's completely irrational, I know. I just happened upon it, and it wasn't even what I was looking for... :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 12, 2007, 10:07:01 PM
Yes, in that it's interfered with his ownership of the almighty 'st33m.

the 'st33m has taken a crap on me, thanks to never being maintained properly by its previous owner.

Vinsanity

Quote from: NACar on November 12, 2007, 10:07:22 PM
It's completely irrational, I know. I just happened upon it, and it wasn't even what I was looking for... :lol:

I'm just messing with ya...if you're fairly sure it will serve you better than the st33m or the sc0rt, then that's reason enough to go for it

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

The Pirate

After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on November 12, 2007, 10:10:09 PM
I'm just messing with ya...if you're fairly sure it will serve you better than the st33m or the sc0rt, then that's reason enough to go for it

Sure, it's expensive and hard to find parts for... but in the end, it will be no different than a cheap car that breaks all the time. I'll just have to make sure I have room on my credit card just in case the Audi needs an oil change(10 quarts!)

saxonyron

Quote from: The Pirate on November 12, 2007, 10:06:33 PM

I know my 2.7t and 2.0t are both.  I think this is too.  But Nick said it was around 40k miles.  The T-belt is good for 90 - 100k miles.  If you're really not sure, then go and do it, but if this seller is the real deal, he should have at least a rough idea of when it was done.  How many miles on the car anyway?  If the price is right and you still have dough in the budget to fix things, then go for it.  It won't be cheap to maintain compared to a chevy, but you need to find a good indie Audi guy and the repairs will be less than half what the dealer will charge you, plus he'll be able to do more creative things to fix problems that might not be recommended Audi service procedures.  Now that I've properly warned you about repair costs, then I think you should go for it!  :ohyeah:  The V8 is an incredible ride.  If you don't pound too many miles onto it each year, you should be fine.  My guy bought my A6 from me with 120,000 miles +.  He only drives around 10,000 miles per year, and he's barely taken it to the shop since he bought it 2 yrs ago.  Of course, the turbos could have blown and he'd be out 2 grand, but that's the chance you take with older cars.

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: The Pirate on November 12, 2007, 10:12:11 PM

That sucks.

I would suck if the belt broke on my way home.
I will make sure get it done quickly after I purchase the car. The difficult part is finding a shop willing to take it on. I think there's an Audi shop in Portland (2.5 hours away).

The Pirate

Quote from: NACar on November 12, 2007, 10:14:59 PM
I would suck if the belt broke on my way home.
I will make sure get it done quickly after I purchase the car. The difficult part is finding a shop willing to take it on. I think there's an Audi shop in Portland (2.5 hours away).

It's not primary transportation, so do it yourself.  Save some money, drink some beer, and learn some new things!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: saxonyron on November 12, 2007, 10:13:35 PM
I know my 2.7t and 2.0t are both.  I think this is too.  But Nick said it was around 40k miles.  The T-belt is good for 90 - 100k miles.  If you're really not sure, then go and do it, but if this seller is the real deal, he should have at least a rough idea of when it was done.  How many miles on the car anyway?  If the price is right and you still have dough in the budget to fix things, then go for it.  It won't be cheap to maintain compared to a chevy, but you need to find a good indie Audi guy and the repairs will be less than half what the dealer will charge you, plus he'll be able to do more creative things to fix problems that might not be recommended Audi service procedures.  Now that I've properly warned you about repair costs, then I think you should go for it!  :ohyeah:  The V8 is an incredible ride.  If you don't pound too many miles onto it each year, you should be fine.  My guy bought my A6 from me with 120,000 miles +.  He only drives around 10,000 miles per year, and he's barely taken it to the shop since he bought it 2 yrs ago.  Of course, the turbos could have blown and he'd be out 2 grand, but that's the chance you take with older cars.

90-100k before it breaks, or 90-100k recommend replacement intervals?
The seller said he owned it for 4-years and put about 40k on the car, but doesn't remember what the previous said about the timing belt. It has 214k on it now. I might be a poor college student, but I'm willing to pu money into a car that's actually worth putting money into (unlike the two things that are currently taking up space in my driveway).

280Z Turbo

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 12, 2007, 04:11:06 PM
Before you do that, record a vid of the exhaust note.

Not a fan of the Flowmaster drone?

CALL_911

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on November 12, 2007, 10:19:58 PM
Not a fan of the Flowmaster drone?

I thought he was gonna do something stupid in addition to the Flowmaster. No, I like them Flowmasters.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 12, 2007, 10:21:02 PM
I thought he was gonna do something stupid in addition to the Flowmaster. No, I like them Flowmasters.

Do something stupid? NEVER!
Like what? :confused:

CALL_911

Quote from: NACar on November 12, 2007, 10:23:11 PM

The stuff you did to the st33m. Cut a hole in the airbox.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TheIntrepid

Quote from: NACar on November 12, 2007, 10:23:11 PM

Flames on the fenders? :huh:

2004 Chrysler Intrepid R/T Clone - Titanium Graphite [3.5L V6 - 250hp]
1996 BMW 325i Convertible - Brilliant Black [2.5L I6 - 189hp]

CALL_911

If you are really getting a Flowmaster, record one with that too.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

saxonyron

Quote from: NACar on November 12, 2007, 10:19:29 PM
90-100k before it breaks, or 90-100k recommend replacement intervals?
The seller said he owned it for 4-years and put about 40k on the car, but doesn't remember what the previous said about the timing belt. It has 214k on it now. I might be a poor college student, but I'm willing to pu money into a car that's actually worth putting money into (unlike the two things that are currently taking up space in my driveway).

I know with my A6, the idea was when your water pump went, swap the T-belt too.  2.7 T water pumps tended to go at 70-80k miles.  I did mine then with no problems.  I know others who stretched past 100k, but I don't see the point.  I wouldn't go past 80k miles myself. The downside of busting a belt pretty handily outweighs the upside of delaying a T-belt swap.  If you can, have a mechanic give the drivetrain a listening to.  Sounds like a CV, but a decent mechanic should be able to tell you a lot on a test drive. 

214k miles!  That's a little long in the tooth, but if it's been cared for and you don't mind a few inevitable electrical issues, you should be fine.  But how can you speak such smack about your 'steem?  Next you'll be telling us you ate all the basils! :confused:

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CALL_911 on November 12, 2007, 10:24:40 PM
The stuff you did to the st33m. Cut a hole in the airbox.

Quote from: TheIntrepid on November 12, 2007, 10:24:41 PM
Flames on the fenders? :huh:

Quit quibbling, nubile ninnies!

S204STi

Woah dawg, that mileage is freakin' high!  I didn't realize it had over 200k...  If you were more mechanically inclined I would say go for it, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: saxonyron on November 12, 2007, 10:26:51 PM
I know with my A6, the idea was when your water pump went, swap the T-belt too.  2.7 T water pumps tended to go at 70-80k miles.  I did mine then with no problems.  I know others who stretched past 100k, but I don't see the point.  I wouldn't go past 80k miles myself. The downside of busting a belt pretty handily outweighs the upside of delaying a T-belt swap.  If you can, have a mechanic give the drivetrain a listening to.  Sounds like a CV, but a decent mechanic should be able to tell you a lot on a test drive. 

214k miles!  That's a little long in the tooth, but if it's been cared for and you don't mind a few inevitable electrical issues, you should be fine.  But how can you speak such smack about your 'steem?  Next you'll be telling us you ate all the basils! :confused:

But, I did  eat the basils :mask:

The Pirate

Don't listen to the haters!  You should buy it!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: R-inge on November 12, 2007, 10:28:14 PM
Woah dawg, that mileage is freakin' high!  I didn't realize it had over 200k...  If you were more mechanically inclined I would say go for it, but now I'm having second thoughts.

It's in excellent condition for the mileage. Seriously. It's not like a Taurus with 200k on it. The thing is high quality. If it wasn't, I wouldn't even be considering it. :huh:

S204STi

Well, if you had anything resembling grey matter in that dome of yours you'd buy this instead: Quattro Coupe

:lol:

omicron

Too late! I bought the V8. Sorry, Mr. Car.

The Pirate

Quote from: R-inge on November 12, 2007, 10:32:32 PM
Well, if you had anything resembling grey matter in that dome of yours you'd buy this instead: Quattro Coupe

:lol:

To be fair, that one is 10 times the price of the one Nick is looking at.