Car Chat

Started by FoMoJo, August 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 27, 2022, 04:41:54 AM
Paid $9/gallon for regular petrol outside of Heathrow.
Imperial gallons = 1.2 US gallons, but still a ridiculous price.

What car did you get, and how many days at Goodwood?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 27, 2022, 03:50:17 AM
I saw that at Goodwood yesterday. Nice car, but yeah it's way too much money.

I'll take a $30k version without the needless carbon body, an STi engine, 6 speed manual, and a thoroughly refreshed suspension and interior.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2022, 06:59:22 AM

I think I converted the litres direct to US gallons if Google did me right

Was only at Goodwood on Sunday. Had an MG hatchback. Pic in the rental car thread
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on June 27, 2022, 07:06:16 AM
I'll take a $30k version without the needless carbon body, an STi engine, 6 speed manual, and a thoroughly refreshed suspension and interior.

A good restoration with upgrades might be double that, especially depending on bodywork restoration and everything. But still a much better deal than the Prodrive

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 27, 2022, 06:59:22 AM

It's sold in litres in the UK.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 29, 2022, 03:35:10 PM
It's sold in litres in the UK.
Up here as well.  Odd that they still use miles though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 29, 2022, 03:41:16 PM
Up here as well.  Odd that they still use miles though.
It's so bananas. It's miles on the roads & odometers. Miles per gallon (imperial.) And imperial pints as a customary measure in the pubs.
I would love to the see the USA go metric but people look at me like I'm certifiably insane when I suggest it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 29, 2022, 07:01:32 PM
It's so bananas. It's miles on the roads & odometers. Miles per gallon (imperial.) And imperial pints as a customary measure in the pubs.
I would love to the see the USA go metric but people look at me like I'm certifiably insane when I suggest it.

I would be ever so happy if bars in the US went to using the official UK pint glasses with the line on them though. 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

I have to convert LBs to KG and vis-versa about 100 times a day at work and would love it if we just picked one. And metric is just better. I don't know how many pints are in a gallon and stuff like that, because it's all a jumbled mess.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 29, 2022, 08:21:23 PM
I would be ever so happy if bars in the US went to using the official UK pint glasses with the line on them though.

Get a good bartender though and they'll make sure that US pint glass is filled to the rim.  Sure, beer "should" have a head, but who honestly gives a fuck.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 30, 2022, 02:56:58 PM
Get a good bartender though and they'll make sure that US pint glass is filled to the rim.  Sure, beer "should" have a head, but who honestly gives a fuck.
I like a pint of Guinness whenever were out to some place that has it.  It takes about 10 minutes to pour from the tap because the head is so dense and dissipates so slowly.  At some places, I get about half a glass if the bartender rushes it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 30, 2022, 02:56:58 PM

Filled to the rim is just as annoying, that's why British pubs used to at least have a line on their glasses about 1/4 inch down from the rim. Pouring a short pint gets you an hour in the town pillory or something I guess
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

https://youtu.be/L6YJi9ul_pY

Watch the last few, at least, and see the massive gap between the 2nd and 1st fastest.

Some info on that McMurtry fan car:
https://mcmurtry.com/goodwood/

2000 kg of downforce at standstill from the fan in the back. The car only weighs 1000 kg. It's tiny. And it went flying past us on the course like the RAF Red Arrows that flew overhead earlier that afternoon. Most cameras could barely keep up with it. 6.5 seconds faster than 2nd fastest run of the weekend. Almost a second faster than the VW ID.R in 2019 and two seconds faster than the McLaren MP4/13 that held the record from 1999-2019

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 30, 2022, 04:08:21 PM
Filled to the rim is just as annoying, that's why British pubs used to at least have a line on their glasses about 1/4 inch down from the rim. Pouring a short pint gets you an hour in the town pillory or something I guess

Meh, filled to the rim isn't an issue if you just take a few sips out of if right away.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 30, 2022, 03:04:49 PM
I like a pint of Guinness whenever were out to some place that has it.  It takes about 10 minutes to pour from the tap because the head is so dense and dissipates so slowly.  At some places, I get about half a glass if the bartender rushes it.

That's valid. That's how most "nitro" pour beers act. It's as much of a PITA for the bartender as it is for the customer. (Speaking from experience as a bartender)

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 30, 2022, 02:46:51 PM
I have to convert LBs to KG and vis-versa about 100 times a day at work and would love it if we just picked one. And metric is just better. I don't know how many pints are in a gallon and stuff like that, because it's all a jumbled mess.

Metric is definitely better for science and manufacturing and stuff like that.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

I like the UK culture of no tips for the bartender.  Tip culture in the U.S. is bizarre IMHO.  Just pay the bartender a good wage.

Laconian

They include tax in the price too. In the US the menu price is just the beginning. Taxes, gratuity, fees, UIs that guilt you into tipping 30% for "Great!" service, undercoating...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Tipping is a great way for dirty old men to get attention from a cute young bartender that they think actually likes them.

Morris Minor

I used to wonder in France whether I should tip waiters EUR50 or something on arrival just so they'd take less that 40 min between visits to my table. But that would probably make them more resentful.

r0tor

Got to love der father land
https://jalopnik.com/german-court-rules-suv-owners-can-be-fined-more-for-bre-1849128275

I would fully support harsher penalties for traffic fines on vehicles >4,500 lbs
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

RomanChariot

I'm sure the SUV the guy was driving weighed at least 20% more than the S-class most of the judges probably drive.

FoMoJo

Laconian

Wow, if you play it at 0.25x speed, you can see them eat the dashboard. I'm so used to seeing shoulder harnesses and airbags, their absence is jarring.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on July 10, 2022, 04:51:00 PM
Wow, if you play it at 0.25x speed, you can see them eat the dashboard. I'm so used to seeing shoulder harnesses and airbags, their absence is jarring.

Funny thing is that car has harnesses, they just weren't wearing the shoulder belts.

Riding the brakes of a supercharged V8 is a horrible idea. Pull off and fix the throttle cable

Laconian

By riding the brakes, did he mean the car is cursed with TORQUE CONVERTER CRAWL of DOOM?

Soup DeVille

So neutral's not a thing anymore?

Laconian

How about shifting into reverse to slow down? Works on boats.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 10, 2022, 07:52:57 PM
So neutral's not a thing anymore?

Sounds/looks like he only had a few seconds to react. Which in that scenario may not have been an option or even helped at that speed.

No brakes ✓ wait what the fuck ✓ oh shit all these cars are stopped ✓ fuck can I even shift down ✓ fuck, we're gonna hit ✓