Mechanic Stuff

Started by Eye of the Tiger, October 14, 2016, 03:00:10 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 22, 2022, 11:47:18 AM
That's my call. My service writer, as great as he is, will just keep selling parts.
Do you explain to the owner of the car the details of the repair?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 22, 2022, 11:50:30 AM
Do you explain to the owner of the car the details of the repair?

Me? Not usually. My service writer says whatever he says in order to sell what I tell him to.  :huh:

Personally, I do not give a shit about the people. I just want the cars fixed right in order to satisfy my OCD.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 22, 2022, 11:47:18 AM
That's my call. My service writer, as great as he is, will just keep selling parts.

Good on you, then.  :rockon:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 22, 2022, 11:52:02 AM
Me? Not usually. My service writer says whatever he says in order to sell what I tell him to.  :huh:

Personally, I do not give a shit about the people. I just want the cars fixed right in order to satisfy my OCD.
I don't see obsessively compulsive as being a disorder.  Most people are just careless and sloppy and don't give a shit.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on May 22, 2022, 12:33:30 PM
I don't see obsessively compulsive as being a disorder.  Most people are just careless and sloppy and don't give a shit.

Ain't that the truth.

I know it's almost summer because have of my jobs are "check AC", and the other half are "check overheating"

Eye of the Tiger

And the first thing I do this morning is slice my hand open on sharp plastic bullshit.

Eye of the Tiger

To do an alternator and belt on this stupid 3.2 Fiat "Cherokee", I have to drain the coolant and the AC system so I can remove the AC compressor to get to one bolt.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 24, 2022, 08:04:28 AM
To do an alternator and belt on this stupid 3.2 Fiat "Cherokee", I have to drain the coolant and the AC system so I can remove the AC compressor to get to one bolt.

Those issues are so frustrating. My sister used to own a Pontiac 6000 diesel. She had oil leaking from the oil pan gasket. Unfortunately, the transmission pan overlapped the oil pan and blocked access to several bolts. The first step in the repair manual for removing the oil pan was to remove the engine from the car.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh, this is just a belt and alternator replacement. Of course, they brought the wrong alternator because there is a 160 or 180 amp, and they chose the wrong (cheaper) one.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: RomanChariot on May 24, 2022, 11:05:12 AM
Those issues are so frustrating. My sister used to own a Pontiac 6000 diesel. She had oil leaking from the oil pan gasket. Unfortunately, the transmission pan overlapped the oil pan and blocked access to several bolts. The first step in the repair manual for removing the oil pan was to remove the engine from the car.

A 6000 diesel!? Nice. What a colossal piece of crap that must have been. :lol:

RomanChariot

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 24, 2022, 11:14:17 AM
A 6000 diesel!? Nice. What a colossal piece of crap that must have been. :lol:
It was a car that a small family with a father going to college could afford. So yes, it was always one step from catastrophic failure. Plus, it was brown.

Eye of the Tiger

Today I did an alignment on a beautifully restored '68 Camaro, 327, 4-speed, RS with hideaway headlights. The owner was staring me down the whole time, of course.

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2022, 03:10:56 PM
Today I did an alignment on a beautifully restored '68 Camaro, 327, 4-speed, RS with hideaway headlights. The owner was staring me down the whole time, of course.

That is one of my favorite classic cars.  I would love one of those under the right circumstances.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on July 16, 2022, 05:25:49 PM
That is one of my favorite classic cars.  I would love one of those under the right circumstances.

It was red with a black vinyl top, if that makes any difference.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 16, 2022, 09:10:11 PM
It was red with a black vinyl top, if that makes any difference.
Sorta like this?

My preference would be a Z/28.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 17, 2022, 08:23:39 AM
Sorta like this?

My preference would be a Z/28.

Yeah, but it had BFG tires and I don't think it had the nose stripe.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 22, 2022, 11:52:02 AM

As long as they stay unbroken, people will keep coming back!
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Gosh dang Ferd Asscape 3.0 gets towed in 1-hour before closing today. It overheated on the highway and customer is from out of town with 6 hours left to drive. Well , the water pump seized up and threw the belt. I had that thing back out the door in 45 minutes. Get money. Fuck bitches.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 04, 2022, 04:41:51 PM
Gosh dang Ferd Asscape 3.0 gets towed in 1-hour before closing today. It overheated on the highway and customer is from out of town with 6 hours left to drive. Well , the water pump seized up and threw the belt. I had that thing back out the door in 45 minutes. Get money. Fuck bitches.

:rockon:

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 04, 2022, 04:47:14 PM
Had the part on hand?

We have four parts stores in town. One of them had everything.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh yeah, we also hired two fresh guys to do oil changes and tires. My two B-techs are learning fast, so they are doing more brakes, suspension, AC, and basic engine stuff. Now I have four guys asking me questions all day.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 04, 2022, 04:54:17 PM
We have four parts stores in town. One of them had everything.

Impressive to get parts + install in 45 min
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 05, 2022, 09:20:55 AM
Impressive to get parts + install in 45 min

Customer tipped me $20 and said, "Nick, I love you."

giant_mtb

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 05, 2022, 04:04:20 PM
Customer tipped me $20 and said, "Nick, I love you."

That's awesome man. Always nice to feel appreciated with your work.

Eye of the Tiger

So a bitch shows up 40 minutes late for her appointment for oil change and a brake job on an Outie A6. Didn't know what brakes to order until I looked at it. Oil filter was special order. Apparently, she didn't drop it off and was in the waiting room the whole time. Three hours later, she raises hell with my service advisor because she HAS TO GO. Bitch, I'm almost done, and I had to wait on parts. 30 minutes later, she has her car back. Go away, shitbag.

Eye of the Tiger

Oh and then a different bitch comes in and complains that the tire that we patched the day before is leaking because it's at 34 PSI now but yesterday was at 37 psi. Guess what bitch, the temperature dropped like 20° Overnight. A cold front just went through. Go away, you're not getting a free tire.

Do you know what I figured it out. Today is a full moon. Bitches be flipping out for no fucking reason.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 04, 2022, 04:41:51 PM

DOOOD. Nice!

Your rep should be HYUGE. Time to bump the rates up a little bit?.....
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 10, 2022, 03:25:29 PM
So a bitch shows up 40 minutes late for her appointment for oil change and a brake job on an Outie A6. Didn't know what brakes to order until I looked at it. Oil filter was special order. Apparently, she didn't drop it off and was in the waiting room the whole time. Three hours later, she raises hell with my service advisor because she HAS TO GO. Bitch, I'm almost done, and I had to wait on parts. 30 minutes later, she has her car back. Go away, shitbag.

She now thinks her yelling worked. Shoulda made her wait another hour after you were done :mask:
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 11, 2022, 11:02:12 AM
DOOOD. Nice!

Your rep should be HYUGE. Time to bump the rates up a little bit?.....

I can't exactly cash in my runes like in Elden Ring. :lol: