Welsh tourist 'stuck in Dubai' over £36k speeding fine

Started by Morris Minor, August 08, 2018, 04:22:18 PM

Morris Minor

"Now they say he must pay £40,000 it is ridiculous. There is no way he has that money. He is out of work at the minute and went to Dubai to visit friends."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-45119366

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

CaminoRacer

Maybe he shouldn't be so reckless if he has no money
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

So,
you're out of work and you decide to go to Dubai and rent a Lambo?

Something tells me prudent decision making is not his forte.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 08, 2018, 04:38:54 PM
So,

Something tells me he's a Johnny-No-Stars, is therefore unsurprisingly unemployed, and the British would be happy if he remained overseas.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 08, 2018, 04:22:18 PM

"Now they say he must pay £40,000 it is ridiculous. There is no way he has that money. He is out of work at the minute and went to Dubai to visit friends."
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-45119366

That's an awful lot for a speeding ticket, whatever the other facts and circumstances of this case.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Soup DeVille

Quote from: dazzleman on August 08, 2018, 05:55:47 PM
That's an awful lot for a speeding ticket, whatever the other facts and circumstances of this case.

Sounds like every camera wrote another ticket. In the US, you can usually get them consolidated
into a single ticket per jurisdiction.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on August 08, 2018, 05:55:47 PM
Maybe's there some incremental fine for each of the dozens of time he tripped a camera.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

68_427

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 08, 2018, 06:17:58 PM
Sounds like every camera wrote another ticket. In the US, you can usually get them consolidated
into a single ticket per jurisdiction.

Yes every camera will write a ticket.  The government gives a 20kph buffer.  So if the speed limit is 120kph the camera will go off at 141kph.  The cameras aren't hidden at all.  IMO it's a fair system.  The fines also increase depending on how far over the limit you were.  He could have been nabbed for almost $1500usd by every camera he passed if he was doing 220kph+

They look like this

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

93JC

As far as I know cars in the UAE, or at least in Dubai, come with warning chimes that go off at 120 km/h, precisely because the penalties for speeding can be so severe. They have to be with so many twats with exotic cars and money.

The guy is a tourist who went for a 200+ km/h rip in a rented Lamborghini Huracán...  :violin:

68_427

Quote from: 93JC on August 13, 2018, 09:21:48 PM
As far as I know cars in the UAE, or at least in Dubai, come with warning chimes that go off at 120 km/h, precisely because the penalties for speeding can be so severe. They have to be with so many twats with exotic cars and money.

The guy is a tourist who went for a 200+ km/h rip in a rented Lamborghini Huracán...  :violin:

The warning chime is definitely on most cars.  The IS I had when I was there the gauge backlighting would turn orange instead of blue in addition to a chime, however I don't recall a chime on the Range Rover I drove.
'racecar is die'
no

giant_mtb

Ze Audi had a selectable speed warning chime.  Never used it, as cruise control exists and I'm not much of a speeder.

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on August 14, 2018, 04:51:48 AM
The warning chime is definitely on most cars.  The IS I had when I was there the gauge backlighting would turn orange instead of blue in addition to a chime, however I don't recall a chime on the Range Rover I drove.

I can't believe you made it through all the drives you took in the UAE without getting tagged a few times by those cameras.  You must drive differently there than you do at home... :devil:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

AltinD

Yes, the chime is mandatory by law but on private cars the dealers offer to deactivate it on your first visit after the purchase. That's what i did on the cars I purchased there.

As for the speed cameras: They're visible (though sometime the police places hidden mobile ones), they bill separately and independently from the other, and in some sections of the highway he drove they can be found less then a mile distant from the other.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

AltinD

Quote from: FoMoJo on August 08, 2018, 07:30:59 PM
Maybe's there some incremental fine for each of the dozens of time he tripped a camera.

No. Increments are only based on how much faster then limit the captured speed was.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

68_427

Quote from: dazzleman on August 14, 2018, 10:54:57 AM
I can't believe you made it through all the drives you took in the UAE without getting tagged a few times by those cameras.  You must drive differently there than you do at home... :devil:

I got a couple

:lol:

I've only ever gotten one ticket on a highway actually in the US
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

Quote from: 68_427 on August 14, 2018, 03:29:27 PM
I got a couple

:lol:

I've only ever gotten one ticket on a highway actually in the US

:lol: That's more like it man. ...

Klackamas

Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 08, 2018, 04:38:54 PM
So,

It's not that unreasonable for someone in their 20s to save a bit a money and take a trip between jobs. He didn't even pay for the rental - his friend did.

It's completely unreasonable to rack up 40k GBP worth of speeding fines in one joy ride.

Obviously he should have known better because you should always be aware of local laws when driving. But trying to pretend like those laws are fair is pretty absurd, IMO. If these laws were in the US, Canada, or Europe, this entire board would be flipping their shit about them.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 18, 2019, 09:46:01 AM
It's not that unreasonable for someone in their 20s to save a bit a money and take a trip between jobs. He didn't even pay for the rental - his friend did.

It's completely unreasonable to rack up 40k GBP worth of speeding fines in one joy ride.

Obviously he should have known better because you should always be aware of local laws when driving. But trying to pretend like those laws are fair is pretty absurd, IMO. If these laws were in the US, Canada, or Europe, this entire board would be flipping their shit about them.

Yes, one should know that they're visiting a medieval dictatorship with nice hotels before they go.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 18, 2019, 11:08:25 AM
Yes, one should know that they're visiting a medieval dictatorship with nice hotels before they go.

:lol:  That was my thought too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Lol.

I hit a speed camera my last time in a government vehicle in Germany lol. A Mercedes station wagon was on the side of the road and everyone else was braking hard. I was talking with buddies so I didn't notice until the flash.

And I left like a week later. It took months for tickets to transfer to the US government so I wonder who got that fun surprise lol. I never heard anything about it.
Will

93JC

The Army probably stiffed the German government with the bill. Amerikanischer Dummkopf! :rage: :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 93JC on February 19, 2019, 04:19:31 PM
The Army probably stiffed the German government with the bill. Amerikanischer Dummkopf! :rage: :lol:

The Germans sent the army a bill for doing 10 over. The Army responded with a bill for WWI,WWII, and being the main defensive force in Europe for the past 70 years.

The Germans then tacked on a late fee to the speeding ticket and resubmitted the bill