Formula 1 - 2020 + 2021

Started by FoMoJo, August 29, 2020, 10:33:30 AM

r0tor

The FIA needs to slap Max around and tell him to stop driving like a man child.

Loved seeing McLaren back on top!
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

That sausage curb is dangerous. Wonder if they'll get rid of it?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Don't know... At the end of the day anything is dangerous if you refuse to back out and continue trying to  pass while off the track
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Stuff that launches the car into the air is bad though

Rich

Hamilton moved into verstappens racing line. Verstappen then hits the curb because of this and Hamilton gets hit as a result.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

Quote from: Rich on September 12, 2021, 06:30:32 PM
Hamilton moved into verstappens racing line. Verstappen then hits the curb because of this and Hamilton gets hit as a result.

Forced off or not, when you run out of track you have to get out of it and not go for more.  Hamilton did that turn 4 on the first lap and a number of other times this year.  Max has a long history of out of boundary shenanigans

Galaxy

Quote from: Rich on September 12, 2021, 06:30:32 PM

You can view it both ways, Hamilton moved into Max's line, Max dived into a space that was always going to disappear. Personally I view this and Silverstone as racing incidents, with Silverstone being more Lewis's fault, and this more Max's. I find the grid place penalty a bit harsh though. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: Galaxy on September 13, 2021, 08:47:12 AM
You can view it both ways, Hamilton moved into Max's line, Max dived into a space that was always going to disappear. Personally I view this and Silverstone as racing incidents, with Silverstone being more Lewis's fault, and this more Max's. I find the grid place penalty a bit harsh though. 
Speed is a factor.  Any driver will  take a corner at optimal speed using the optimal racing line.  Any variance will likely cause a mishap.  I suspect that Lewis was at top speed through that corner where Max was always going to have to jump the curb.  Too bad he couldn't control it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Here's Your Chance To Own Kimi Raikkonen's 2002 McLaren Formula 1 Car Just Before He Retires

Is this a coincidence or perfect timing? Whatever the case may be, Kimi Raikkonen's 2002 McLaren MP4-17D is set to cross the auction block shortly after the Finn announced his retirement from Formula 1 at the end of this season.

Designed by some of F1's greats such as Adrian Newey, Mike Coughlan, Neil Oatley, and Peter Prodromou, the MP4-17D was powered by a 3.0-liter Mercedes-Benz V10 that churned out 845 hp at an ear-splitting 18,500 RPM. It was also the sixth of McLaren's race cars to feature the distinctive, and now classic, West McLaren Mercedes livery.

This car, chassis number MP4-17A-06, raced seven times in the 2002 season and another five times in 2003. It debuted at the European Grand Prix that ran during June 21-23 at the Nurburgring in Germany. Raikkonen qualified sixth for the race and finished in third just behind the Ferrari duo of Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher.

Its most successful outing of the year came at its third race in France at the Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours. There, Raikkonen managed to finish second with teammate David Coulthard close behind in third.

Unfortunately, McLaren proved to be thoroughly outdone by Ferrari for the 2002 season as the Italian team won 15 of the season's 17 races. McLaren finished third in the constructor's championship behind Ferrari and Williams-BMW.

The car was upgraded for the 2003 season, though, where it performed much better. Competing in five races, it took victory at the Australian Grand Prix at the hands of David Coulthard.

This car's tie to Raikkonen and its proximity to the era of Michael Schumacher also make it a hot item. Estimates suggest that it will go for between 2 and 2.5 million Swiss Francs ($2,179,836-$2,724,795 USD).

The car will go under the hammer at the RM Sotheby's St. Moritz auction on September 17.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/09/heres-your-chance-to-own-kimi-raikkonens-2002-mclaren-formula-1-car-just-before-he-retires/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

FoMoJo

Should be an interesting first few seconds at today's US Grand Prix

Hamilton: I hope Verstappen and I make it cleanly through Turn 1
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

r0tor

Hoping for a first turn crash and a Lando victory

FoMoJo

FoMoJo

r0tor

I fear that the championship will come down either to an action or in-action of the stewarts

FoMoJo

Just hope that it doesn't come down to a crash giving Verstappen the championship on more wins.  He's tried it a couple of times.

r0tor

This race was a direct disaster caused by the FIA turning a blind eye to Max in Brazil.  It basically gave him a blank check to do whatever he wants on the track - and he cashed that in today.

Galaxy

Essentially the FIA is stating that Max brake tested Lewis if you look at their wording "erratic" "sudden" "2.4G deceleration". That Max only got a 10s penalty is extremely lenient, and likely a result of the Championship  being equal on points, and the FIA not wanting it decided in the Stewards room.

As for the Saudi track. I love the layout, basically a combination of Monaco, and Monza,  however the run off areas - or lack thereof - needs some reconsideration. I am actually surprised that this track passed a safety check. This is ignoring the fact that Saudi Arabia should never have gotten a GP.

r0tor

Sad to see the championship determined by a call from the stewards

Galaxy

I'll admit I turned off my TV as the cars crossed the line, which is something I have never done before. That being said at various stages of the race both Red Bull, and Mercedes were fuming at race control, so all in all they likely were fair and balanced then.  Regarding Mercedes's legal challenge, in the last lap Toto Wolff was ranting "not this way Masi, not this way!" To the same tune, not this way Toto, not this way.

Btw. this proves why Bottas has to go. Were he P2 then he could have likely played the wing man role, and held up Max for a crucial few corners.

r0tor

If Masi wanted a orchestrate a shootout - well first that is Nascar level Hollywood crap instead of racing, and second just throw the red flag and put everyone on the same terms and give the race a couple laps to go at it. 

If your going to leave cars unlap themselves that's fine, but doing so after you said no, and then only a select few with a couple corners left because the rest didn't have time - yikes... Please don't even try to pretend that F1 is the highest form of motorsports if that charade is going to happen

FoMoJo

CaminoRacer

FoMoJo

Submariner

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 13, 2021, 09:49:31 AM
Here's Your Chance To Own Kimi Raikkonen's 2002 McLaren Formula 1 Car Just Before He Retires

Is this a coincidence or perfect timing? Whatever the case may be, Kimi Raikkonen's 2002 McLaren MP4-17D is set to cross the auction block shortly after the Finn announced his retirement from Formula 1 at the end of this season.

Designed by some of F1's greats such as Adrian Newey, Mike Coughlan, Neil Oatley, and Peter Prodromou, the MP4-17D was powered by a 3.0-liter Mercedes-Benz V10 that churned out 845 hp at an ear-splitting 18,500 RPM. It was also the sixth of McLaren's race cars to feature the distinctive, and now classic, West McLaren Mercedes livery.

This car, chassis number MP4-17A-06, raced seven times in the 2002 season and another five times in 2003. It debuted at the European Grand Prix that ran during June 21-23 at the Nurburgring in Germany. Raikkonen qualified sixth for the race and finished in third just behind the Ferrari duo of Rubens Barrichello and Michael Schumacher.

Its most successful outing of the year came at its third race in France at the Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours. There, Raikkonen managed to finish second with teammate David Coulthard close behind in third.

Unfortunately, McLaren proved to be thoroughly outdone by Ferrari for the 2002 season as the Italian team won 15 of the season's 17 races. McLaren finished third in the constructor's championship behind Ferrari and Williams-BMW.

The car was upgraded for the 2003 season, though, where it performed much better. Competing in five races, it took victory at the Australian Grand Prix at the hands of David Coulthard.

This car's tie to Raikkonen and its proximity to the era of Michael Schumacher also make it a hot item. Estimates suggest that it will go for between 2 and 2.5 million Swiss Francs ($2,179,836-$2,724,795 USD).

The car will go under the hammer at the RM Sotheby's St. Moritz auction on September 17.

Link: https://www.carscoops.com/2021/09/heres-your-chance-to-own-kimi-raikkonens-2002-mclaren-formula-1-car-just-before-he-retires/

I'd love to own an F1 car and prep it for street use. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MrH

Quote from: Submariner on December 15, 2021, 01:30:32 PM
I'd love to own an F1 car and prep it for street use. 

:lol:  How do you do that?  The whole car is designed for not street use.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

Quote from: MrH on December 15, 2021, 02:38:06 PM
:lol:  How do you do that?  The whole car is designed for not street use.

If I have the money to buy an F1 car I have the money to make that another persons problem.  :lol:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

CaminoRacer

Looks like hubcaps are back in style

CaminoRacer

Interesting start to 2022. Great driving by LeClerc to hold off Max with 10 laps to go

Raza

Bahrain was excellent. Loved to see Red Bull reaping some of that karma. Which is a shame, because Red Bull has been my team for a very long time, I just hate Verstappen so much.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PM
It's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.