Formula 1 - 2020 + 2021

Started by FoMoJo, August 29, 2020, 10:33:30 AM

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on May 27, 2022, 10:24:43 AM
I have to wonder if the porpoising was holding Lewis back physically as well.  Drivers are getting beat up in the cars from all the bouncing - a couple drivers including Russell have publicly complained they could be permanently damaging their bodies.

At Lewis's age, with all the championships, and up until last race an uncompetitive car - I could understand him trying to save his body.  Same goes for Seb for that matter.

Wait, what?  Driving a race car is hard on the body??  No way.

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on May 28, 2022, 12:06:48 AM
Wait, what?  Driving a race car is hard on the body??  No way.

The porpoising is really messing the drivers up though way beyond how physical the cars use to be.  Several are complaining of bad back issues and actually worried about brain damage from violently bouncing down the straights.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Canadian Grand Prix, things may be looking up for team Mercedes.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Good race. Stroll in the points! Leclerc caught up but probably not as much as he probably hoped.

Sucks for Mick (and KMag)

Mercedes doing better but still 3rd best team and off the pace of Ferrari, and no one can catch Red Bull unless they blow up
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Too bad about young Schumacher.  He's had a series of crashes and failures and, it seems, his job may be on the line unless things improve quickly.

Red Bull certainly seems to have the best package at the moment.  Most other teams are still fighting with porpoising to one degree or another while Red Bull is mostly unaffected.  However, with Adrian Newey as their Chief Technical Officer, it's not surprising.  He's always been an aero wizard.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

heelntoe

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 19, 2022, 04:18:06 PM
Good race. Stroll in the points! Leclerc caught up but probably not as much as he probably hoped.

Sucks for Mick (and KMag)

Mercedes doing better but still 3rd best team and off the pace of Ferrari, and no one can catch Red Bull unless they blow up
If Lec passed Ocon earlier, he'd have had a go at Russell, I think.

I was really hoping Alonso would end up on the podium, too, but I think they went all-in on a wet setup for quali
@heelntoe

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Galaxy on December 03, 2020, 06:28:48 PM
So now with Louis Hamilton out of Commission with COVID-19, it has created the interesting scenario that George Russel is being transplanted from the worst car of the grid to the best car of the grid. I do expect Bottas to prevail, he better for his sake.
Quote from: Galaxy on December 06, 2020, 12:18:07 PM
Well on paper Russell finished behind Bottas, however Mercedes putting Bottas's tires on Russell's car, and a tire puncture led to this. Russell absolutely destroyed Bottas. Ironically it was Russell's Williams that caused the safety car that led to the Mercedes tire debacle.

Quote from: FoMoJo on December 03, 2020, 07:14:30 PM
Could be his big break, Russell that is.
Quote from: r0tor on December 06, 2020, 12:28:57 PM
What a crazy circus that race was

https://youtu.be/x7ddnyNMl5s

Fun to look back at that race now. Checo with another win at Monaco this year (and last year at Azerbaijan). Russell actually with Mercedes now and performing similarly well as he did in that race. 

edit: video won't embed but you can click the link to watch the highlights

FoMoJo

Great race at Silverstone, as usual.  Lewis is finally waking up.

r0tor

F1 needs more tracks like this and less street circuits
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

The Austrian track may be interesting.  At least there is some elevation changes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ga7QSz97Ss

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on July 03, 2022, 08:31:55 PM
F1 needs more tracks like this and less street circuits

Yup. Having a couple street circuits is fun, but these cars are meant to be on real tracks

r0tor

CaminoRacer

I saw that the FIA will be investigating the design of the tire wall and fencing. Fence did a good job of catching the car, but the gap that the car fell into is problematic. Zhou would have been in trouble if the car caught fire while in there. Way too difficult to extract the driver quickly.

r0tor

Halo to the rescue... Can't believe it, but Zhou's roll hoop actually was ripped out of the chassis!

https://youtu.be/BpNO1wgUfmY

CaminoRacer

Luckily he's not tall. Some of the taller driver's heads poke above the halo.

Rich

what an awesome tech analysis, thanks for p0sting
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

What a mess of a weekend.

Shitty fan behavior, slow to help Sainz when he's on fire, stewards calling track limits penalities every 10 seconds, wrongly calling a penalty on Zhou, calling all 3 podiums finishers in for parc ferme rule that must have been their fault if all 3 drivers didn't follow the rule, etc etc.

I like the track but clearly if all 20 drivers are "exceeding track limits" but not crashing, it's not a problem.

CaminoRacer

The racing itself was excellent, though. Lots of great battles, 3-5 cars battling for position at times. And Mick with points again!

r0tor

Someone really needs to take a serious look at what they installed this year as the head of the FIA.  It's becoming the epitome of a 2nd world authoritarian organization

FoMoJo

Rich

Rich

FoMoJo

r0tor

LEC is just a headcase unable to keep himself in check on the track.  Team orders protecting him from SAI is costing Ferrari and SAI a shot at the championship

FoMoJo

Apparently, Michael watches the races with Jean Todt.  Must be quite a disappointment for both of them seeing Ferrari in such a state.

CaminoRacer

Leclerc is normally faster though and this crash might have been due to the throttle sticking. (And his tires were at their end)

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 24, 2022, 11:50:10 AM
Leclerc is normally faster though and this crash might have been due to the throttle sticking. (And his tires were at their end)
Leclerc has a history of crashing.  He even crashed Niki Lauda's classic Ferrari in Monaco this year.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 24, 2022, 12:07:57 PM
Leclerc has a history of crashing.  He even crashed Niki Lauda's classic Ferrari in Monaco this year.

True, but that one wasn't his fault either. Brake pad fell apart

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 24, 2022, 01:20:26 PM
True, but that one wasn't his fault either. Brake pad fell apart
Yes, that is true.  However, with his latest crash he admitted it was driver error.

It may be a bit unfair to Leclerc in that he does have a fast car, perhaps the fastest, and he may be pushing himself a bit over his limit.  It's also interesting that Verstappen seems to have matured a bit this season.  He is not only a fast driver now, but a smart driver.  Still, I'd like to see Mercedes give Lewis a competitive car so that he can give Verstappen a run for his money.  Seems like the gap between Mercedes and Red Bull is slowly closing.

CaminoRacer

I guess the sticking throttle was potentially keeping him from reversing, not the cause of the crash. Being stuck in the tire wall probably kept him from reversing too :lol: