New(ish) Truck Day

Started by Speed_Racer, November 23, 2020, 10:47:06 AM

CaminoRacer

6 speed auto?
Ford doesn't do cylinder deactivation right? That's a GM-only thing?
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on December 07, 2020, 11:14:19 AM
On the drive back from Idaho I averaged ~21-22mpg, which surpasses my expectations.

If you have a gentle right foot, EcoBoost can be quite fuel efficient.  Stomp on it, and it's a different story.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 07, 2020, 11:18:15 AM
6 speed auto?
Not Ford, but quite a few other foreign manufacturers do.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Laconian on December 07, 2020, 11:17:42 AM
On winter gas? That's pretty good!
And 87 octane too!

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 07, 2020, 11:18:15 AM
6 speed auto?
Correct - 6 speed and no active fuel saving tech on this one. Later models did come with auto start/stop but I think it's 2016+

Speed_Racer

Over the past month I put about 16 hrs into detailing the truck from front to back, the majority of the time was spent polishing out buff & swirl marks. Don't use brush car washes! It looks a lot better in the sun, and the paint needed the wax.

On a side note or rant: the amount of bullets/guns/Murica/Punisher/Blue Line garbage I have to scroll through to find decent accessories, parts, or upgrades is ridiculous. I just want a stubby radio antenna, no I don't want it to look like a bullet. :facepalm:

A clever upgrade I did: a set of e-track tie-down hoops from Harbor Freight + two rare earth magnets = cheap bed tiedowns

FoMoJo

Gotta-Qik-C7

I just ordered a stubby antenna for my truck to! I feel your pain! LOL!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Speed_Racer

The Kizashi sold today. Bittersweet, but it went to a good home - they were jazzed about how uncommon a car it is. Now I'm down to only four vehicles  :facepalm:

CaminoRacer

I was gonna ask if you sold that yet. I'm listening to a Smoking Tire podcast that is talking about how Kizashis are good little cars

Speed_Racer

Time to invest in $SUZUKI. I'll have to listen to that episode

CaminoRacer

It's the Dec 8th episode with Jason Cammisa

FoMoJo

I'm very attracted to the colour of that truck, not sure why, it just looks so rich.

Speed_Racer

We took the Ford and spent a long weekend exploring Capitol Reef & Grand Staircase and the backcountry surrounding both areas. The pandemic has lead to overcrowded Utah wilderness, but Torrey/Escalante were closed for the season so it was great to get some peace and quiet. On our day to touring the Cathedral Valley loop, we saw zero other humans the entire time. Wonderful! Also ate some picnics, hiked some slots, stargazed.

It's an excellent roadtrip vehicle. It's comfy, capable, the big sunroof is nice for scenery, and decent gas mileage considering its size (avg 19.5 for the trip). We also forded a few rivers, baja'ed some dirt roads, did some low-key rock crawling to reach overlooks. I'm going to get my money's worth on that 4WD

veeman

Utah is so beautiful.  Too bad about some of the weird laws there but it is a really beautiful place.  Nice snaps!

Laconian

Quote from: veeman on March 24, 2021, 01:52:23 PM
Utah is so beautiful.  Too bad about some of the weird laws there but it is a really beautiful place.  Nice snaps!

Yeah I really enjoyed visiting Moab, Park City, even Provo. ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

Quote from: Speed_Racer on March 24, 2021, 11:24:45 AM
We took the Ford and spent a long weekend exploring Capitol Reef & Grand Staircase and the backcountry surrounding both areas. The pandemic has lead to overcrowded Utah wilderness, but Torrey/Escalante were closed for the season so it was great to get some peace and quiet. On our day to touring the Cathedral Valley loop, we saw zero other humans the entire time. Wonderful! Also ate some picnics, hiked some slots, stargazed.

It's an excellent roadtrip vehicle. It's comfy, capable, the big sunroof is nice for scenery, and decent gas mileage considering its size (avg 19.5 for the trip). We also forded a few rivers, baja'ed some dirt roads, did some low-key rock crawling to reach overlooks. I'm going to get my money's worth on that 4WD

Are those your tire tracks on that cliff?

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on March 24, 2021, 02:23:32 PM
Yeah I really enjoyed visiting Moab, Park City, even Provo. ;)

Provo is slowly turning into a little liberal enclave.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 24, 2021, 04:31:26 PM
Provo is slowly turning into a little liberal enclave.

...with a billion billboards for wedding vendors and plastic surgeons. And no good coffee anywhere!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on March 24, 2021, 04:36:04 PM
...with a billion billboards for wedding vendors and plastic surgeons. And no good coffee anywhere!

I might run for state congress just to push an anti-billboard law every year until it passes. Eventually we won't be able to see the mountains from I-15.
If I say SLC is turning into dirty ole Las Vegas I'm sure I could get a lot of support.

SVT_Power

Quote from: RomanChariot on November 23, 2020, 10:57:50 AM
That's a nice truck. There are a lot of Canadian trucks floating around. If I could have found a 6 passenger, 6.5 foot bed, ecoboost with max tow package combination for a good price when I was looking I would have jumped on it instead of getting an older F-250.

I noticed a while ago Ford (and subsequently GM/Ram) was offering very aggressive lease deals on F150's, specifically the Lariat trim models. It's something like $90/week for 24 months on a truck that has a ~$70k MSRP.

I learned Ford does this knowing/counting on the fact that F150 resale values are so strong in the US that they can lease the new ones here, make the residual high enough that people won't want to hold onto the trucks after the lease, and then Ford can still just take it to the US and sell them again for a profit.

"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

SVT_Power

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 23, 2020, 12:02:27 PM
"Bronze Fire", it's this copper burgandy blend. I'd only ever seen it used on the King Ranch w/ a tan two tone. It should look sharp after I do a buff & polish.

I don't think I've ever seen a F150 in that color before, it's real nice.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Speed_Racer

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 24, 2021, 02:49:38 PM
Are those your tire tracks on that cliff?

I joked about giving it a shot, but GF shut it down. To be honest, the hill was probably a 45 angle, probably better on a dirtbike or ATV

veeman

Quote from: Speed_Racer on March 25, 2021, 10:28:55 AM
I joked about giving it a shot, but GF shut it down. To be honest, the hill was probably a 45 angle, probably better on a dirtbike or ATV

I would have tried reversing up it 3/4 way, while the wife and kids were out of the car taking pictures of the scenery and not in the path of me rolling back down.   :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Beautiful truck and pictures, so fun to see one used like they're supposed to be. :thumbsup:

For serious if I were to go truck shopping today that's probably exactly what I would want.
Will

Speed_Racer

Oof, glad I bought when I did. The truck market is officially nuts. In other news, my vehicle is an appreciating asset.  :huh:

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Speed_Racer on May 07, 2021, 10:19:20 AM
Oof, glad I bought when I did. The truck market is officially nuts. In other news, my vehicle is an appreciating asset.  :huh:

Same for the C7 market! Through the roof!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Speed_Racer

So I've heard! Anything fun is expensive now.

CaminoRacer

Sucky thing is that you can't sell it because a replacement would cost just as much. Same with my graphics card. I could get 2-3x what I paid for it, but then my computer would have no graphics :lol:

Speed_Racer

One-ish year update:
I have added 8k miles since I bought it. I'm getting about 17 mpg, but averaged 20 mpg on a long road trip to Idaho recently. No issues mechanical or otherwise. I have needed it for more "trucky" stuff than I originally expected, so it has been great having it handy especially with rental pickups being in short supply. Tows like a dream. I installed a fresh set of Michelins and it greatly improved ride quality & road noise. Overall, no ragrets.

Carolina squatting w/ 1600 lbs of gravel in the bed

Rescuing my brother's dead B3000

Rented a trailer for a long weekend getaway

CaminoRacer

How was the rented trailer? Never thought about doing that before, but it sounds more appealing than owning a trailer.