Rivian

Started by CaminoRacer, January 29, 2021, 11:12:20 PM

Morris Minor

If Rivian were to go down into the mid-$70s I might take a nibble.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/RIVN
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 30, 2021, 12:55:00 PM
https://www.teslarati.com/rivian-r1t-towing-test-range-loss/
Snips from the article.
"which evidently resulted in a 62% degradation of the battery"
"one of the more stressful tasks for an EV to perform, as it requires excessive energy from the vehicle"

Rivian needs to to cease production and recall all vehicles sold. The cause of the battery degradation & excessive energy use needs to be fixed.

Or it could be that the writer has a weak command of English.

RomanChariot

My F250 suffers from fuel storage degradation when I use it to tow :hammerhead: Seriously though, towing heavy stuff affects the range of a vehicle. The impact on my F250 isn't 62% only because it sucks all the time. Big trucks with large inefficient engines start out with horrible gas mileage and go down from there. Smaller trucks are more efficient when unladen but they take a bigger hit when they tow a heavy load.

CaminoRacer

I like how they excuse Tesla for the same exact thing just because they have more Tesla-branded chargers, which doesn't change the dismal range of towing with a Tesla or any EV. Adding more air resistance will quickly reduce range.

Towing with an EV truck/SUV might not make sense for a while. And that's fine.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Depends if degradation means "degradation" or if it means "discharges."

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 30, 2021, 03:09:18 PM
I like how they excuse Tesla for the same exact thing just because they have more Tesla-branded chargers, which doesn't change the dismal range of towing with a Tesla or any EV. Adding more air resistance will quickly reduce range.

Towing with an EV truck/SUV might not make sense for a while. And that's fine.

It's Teslarati, what would you expect?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Also towing at what looks to be 70+ mph, which will greatly accelerate "degradation."

Back it down to the advisable 55 mph and it'll be about what you'd get with a ICE truck (~50% drop, as Rivian noted).

Laconian

Probably. Since drag increases at velocity cubed, that delta v stings.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

yeah, totally not surprised, just cements what I figured- electric pickups won't be great for cross-country trailer camping trips.

Imagine having to stay at the camp site more days than you want because the 110v(low amps) takes forever to charge the ginormous batteries...  :)

IF there's power available, if you have to go somewhere else to charge back up even further complicates things.

And that wind resistance is Defintely a thing!   But no one drives 55mph, not even the people towing "max speed 55mph" Uhaul trailers.

When I towed Scrappy with the minivan from VA to SC, I put the transmission on "no overdrive" which puts it into 3rd (of five) gear. RPMs were high so I set the cruise at 60mph and was getting passed by EVERYONE. And the 8hr drive took more like 10hrs. Hopefully my transmission lasts many more years though!
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on November 30, 2021, 05:44:09 PM
Also towing at what looks to be 70+ mph, which will greatly accelerate "degradation."

Back it down to the advisable 55 mph and it'll be about what you'd get with a ICE truck (~50% drop, as Rivian noted).
My gas tank suffers accelerated "degradation' when the car's loaded & in hilly terrain.

Edit - oh wow - I just read another Teslarati article. The standard of writing is at academically weak middle-schooler level.

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 01, 2021, 04:19:14 AM
My gas tank suffers accelerated "degradation' when the car's loaded & in hilly terrain.

Edit - oh wow - I just read another Teslarati article. The standard of writing is at academically weak middle-schooler level.

lol, have you read the comment section?   

SJ_GTI

Quote from: NomisR on December 01, 2021, 09:18:32 AM
lol, have you read the comment section?

I suspect reading the comments would cause degradation to your mental state.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 01, 2021, 10:14:18 AM

:lol:
Will

NomisR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on December 01, 2021, 10:14:18 AM

It wasn't that bad, it's people actually calling out the author and people saying that it's typical for this author to write about things he doesn't know anything about. 

Morris Minor

When writing for public consumption, writing abilities count for far more than enthusiasm for the subject. Teslarati, Jalopnik & the rest need editors with English language degrees. But then you're into paid-content territory.

Morris Minor

It's plausible that these guys will be major players. Most difficult challenge is scaling up to volume production - they won't want to repeat Tesla's 2017 Fremont nightmare.

Rivian to Build $5B Electric Truck Plant in Georgia
Sources briefed on the decision say electric truck maker Rivian Automotive will announce Thursday that it's building a $5 billion battery and assembly plant east of Atlanta projected to employ 7,500 workers.
More...
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/michigan/articles/2021-12-15/sources-rivian-to-build-5b-electric-truck-plant-in-georgia

MrH

Tesla is the exception to scaling production in automotive, not the rule.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Submariner

Is Rivian only selling in America or abroad too?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Morris Minor

Thumbs-up from Car and Driver.

Tested: 2022 Rivian R1T Launch Edition
The first electric pickup of the modern era proves to be a practical workhorse and an impressive bit of electric-vehicle technology.
BY K.C. COLWELL
FEB 2, 2022
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a38904754/2022-rivian-r1t-launch-edition-by-the-numbers/

CaminoRacer

NomisR

What's the deal with everyone going to pleather?  What if I prefer a real dead cow under my ass?  And I thought these people are all about renewables, cows are renewable, but pleather is made from oil..

SJ_GTI

Why does NomisR support the torture and murdering of innocent animals?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: NomisR on March 02, 2022, 09:38:53 AM
What's the deal with everyone going to pleather?  What if I prefer a real dead cow under my ass?  And I thought these people are all about renewables, cows are renewable, but pleather is made from oil..

Cow leather is meh. I prefer full grain black rhino leather.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Cloth is best for real renewable/sustainable/not murdering animals.

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on March 02, 2022, 09:38:53 AM

There's too much crossover between vegans and EV owners, so they go pleather to try to placate them.  But yeah, I agree.  Leather is a co-product from the meat industry.  Polyurethane materials is probably much dirtier than leather from an environmental standpoint.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Nothing beats the fart-permeability of cloth.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 02, 2022, 11:22:21 AM

Sorry, cloth requires way to much water and industrial farming.

The real answer is that we should all have to stand while we drive.

NomisR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 02, 2022, 12:36:44 PM
Sorry, cloth requires way to much water and industrial farming.

The real answer is that we should all have to stand while we drive.

What about rocks?  We can't make seat from wood since it requires chopping down trees, so rocks!

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 02, 2022, 11:22:21 AM

Since cloth seats are not made from cotton but instead made from nylon or polyester, both of which are made from petroleum.   Alcantara of course is also a petroleum based product since it's a synthetic material.  And then there's pleather/leatherette/vinyl/vegan leather which is also petroleum based.

The only thing that's actually not petroleum based is leather.